Weight Loss and Getting in Shape

AbielleRose

I try to have a glass of water but it's a struggle. It doesn't help that I don't like the taste of water, either... does that make me odd?

Not at all, I used to hate water and I never ever drank it because I didn't like the taste, but I forced myself to drink it a few years back, and now it's pretty much all I drink and I don't even think about the taste anymore :roll:

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't help that I don't like the taste of water, either... does that make me odd?

I usually drink it with a dash of Robinson's sugar-free juice, however we got a Brita filter jug for Christmas and you can definitely taste the difference :roll:

I think the taste of water depends on where you are from, I live near the Salisbury Plains in Wiltshire so the water is very hard because of the chalk geology, this means it is better filtered as limescale also builds up quite quickly.

I have never been one for the slim fast plan I have to admit, I have always been a believer in eating healthily and cooking with fresh ingredients, my worry on those diets is that as soon as you have reached your recommended goal and you go back to eating normally you put weight back on again. I think its really down to the amount of food we eat, I started making the size of the plate I was eating from smaller so the portion looked bigger and it certainly helped.

I do also go to the gym a couple of times a week but chose a gym where its not about the way you look its about getting healthy and I find it a great stress relief after a difficult day at work.

anyway congratulations to all loosing weight however you are doing it and here's to a healthier 2010 where we can all be happy no matter what our size.:roll:

I've just had a ton of water too, the mist outside kinda froze it so it's burning me but it's all good, h20 is coolio.

Am lucky I guess, I actually like the taste of water.. though honestly, it tastes differently here than it does in the UK, at least in Southampton. When I grab a glass of water there, it tastes sort of bad, compared to when I'm at home. So there is a difference.

We moved into a new flat a year ago and the water here is disgusting. It tastes really metalic and sometimes perfumed :roll: Yack!

I don't necessarily want to lose weight, but I wish I could be healthier. It always seems like such a lot of effort!

My worst habit is not drinking enough water. I can easily go all day without a drink and not be thirsty, never in my life have I had the recommended amount. And like bookjumper I don't like the taste either, so no, not weird!

Another thing is skipping breakfast..and occasionally lunch and end up stuffing my face (with entirely wrong foods) from 3-10pm. I've heard its supposed to be:

Eat breakfast like a King, lunch like a prince and tea like a pauper, whereas most people do it the other way round.

Luckily so far I have maintained a fast metabolism, and am not overweight despite my abysmal habits but I'm sure this won't continue as I get older.

Kimmy, don't fret too much - sometimes there are slower weeks - I remember one week I was really poorly and hardly ate, and I only lost a pound, whereas the week before I ate rubbish and lost 3lbs!

On the water debate, it's rubbish here too - we're in a hard water area but the worse water I've tasted was when I lived in Ipswich - yack! It was awful.

I am a bit disappointed today as I have only lost 1lb this week despite swimming & going to the gym ;)

Kimmy, don't fret too much - sometimes there are slower weeks - I remember one week I was really poorly and hardly ate, and I only lost a pound, whereas the week before I ate rubbish and lost 3lbs!

Don't forget that you could be converting fat into muscle too. Muscle is heavier than fat but takes up less space so it might be an idea to also measure yourself. My friend works out every day and is tiny.....easily a UK size 8 but according to the weightwatchers diet she needs to lose a stone. She's really toned so it's just the muscle she's been building.

I am going to start the special k 2 week plan tomorrow to kick start things, ideally need to lose a stone and be a size 12, am a 14 at the moment. Has anyone else done this plan?

I did it a few years ago to lose Christmas weight. Although I lost the weight, I started eating healthy after the two week period and still put some weight back on. It was really disheartening. Personally I would try a healthier diet first to see how you go. It's usually just a few small changes that make all the difference ;)

Don't forget that you could be converting fat into muscle too. Muscle is heavier than fat but takes up less space so it might be an idea to also measure yourself. My friend works out every day and is tiny.....easily a UK size 8 but according to the weightwatchers diet she needs to lose a stone. She's really toned so it's just the muscle she's been building.

I know, still disappointed though :D I think I am too impatient, I want immediate results :D

As for the special K diet, I don't think that I would like to eat the same thing twice a day as much as I love cereal. Having said that, I have just had some for lunch and it was yummy!

I know, still disappointed though :D I think I am too impatient, I want immediate results :D

Me too! :lol:

I think the Special K diet is the same with any other types of food. It's ok to eat the same food every day for a few days but by the time you get to day 8 you're just about ready to swap your left leg for plate of chips :lol:

Good luck with it and don't get too disheartened as you will lose weight! Positive thinking :D

• 2 weeks later...

I hope everyone is having a good week with their diets/weight loss.

Unfortunately, thanks to the lack of exercise and a terrible diet, I've managed to gain 2 lbs back this past week. :D I plan on beginning my work-out routine again tonight (though a little less foot work because my ankle still isn't 100%).

2 pounds is nothing compared to what you have lost Abby, it'll go again in no time.

Congrats Kimmy! :D

I'm not feeling the best at the moment, but when I am I'm going to start walking every day. Or at least, trying to. Even if I managed MOST days, I'd be doing a lot better than I am now. I'm also still eating less rubbish. I've a party to go to in just over a month, so at least I now have a solid goal in mind for which I want to lose some weight, which will motivate me a bit :D

Unfortunately, thanks to the lack of exercise and a terrible diet, I've managed to gain 2 lbs back this past week. :lol: I plan on beginning my work-out routine again tonight (though a little less foot work because my ankle still isn't 100%).

I'm sure you'll be able to lose it again in no time :lol:

Well done Kimmy! 3lbs is brilliant!

Having a goal to work to is good Noll....I'm less inclined to cheat if I have a set goal.

I've been on and off the wagon like a yo-yo these past few weeks but today I've had a super healthy day food-wise and I've just got back from the gym. I'm pretty large in the boob department so instead of running and terrifying folk, I usually go for a fast uphill walk for an hour with arm weights. My goal is to do that 4 times a week but it's really hard with all this uni work to fit it in ;)

I'll join in with this if that's ok?:lol:

I used to have a terrible body complex even though I was slim. I ended up taking slimming tablets three years ago and got down to just under 7 stone. I looked awful. Once I came off the pills, my metabolism was in a bad way. It had slowed down to a snails pace so everything I ate would not burn off. I've done the slim fast, cutting certain foods out and nothing worked. It did for a while, but then I'd fall off the wagon and gain all the weight back. I am 5'6.

One thing I will say is don't weight yourself, go by your measurements. It had to be a way of life to be honest. Would you rather be 140lb and a size 8-10 (uk size) or 140lb and a size 12-14? That what I was told to ask myself and I knew which I wanted to be ;)

Wine is my biggest downfall, so I only have 1 -2 small glasses a week now. I used to carry all my weight on my legs, bum and waist - this was down to drinking a lot of wine. The first thing I had to sort out was my diet as that is 80-90% towards getting everything right. I don't eat carbs after 3pm now, so I'll have a carb lunch and a protein dinner. If any of you would like a list of foods to eat, I am happy to post them up for you!

Cardio is good for losing weight, but it will just make you smaller with no shape. Weights are the way to go to burn fat quickly and reshape your body. Squats and lunges and a great fat burner. You use 256 muscles to do squats and lunges and this will also workout your upperbody. Once the glutes start getting stronger, your metabolism will speed up greatly which will mean you will burn calories even when you are doing nothing.

Throw away the slim fast and don't bother with the cereal diets as they will not work for you long term. You will end up putting the weight back on and sometimes more. Classic yo yo dieting.

I'll join in with this if that's ok?:lol:

You are most welcome here ;) Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated!

I just stepped on my scale and was pleasently surprised to discover that I have lost the wait I gained plus an additional pound. :lol: I'm slowly starting to work out again, which feels great.

I'd love if if you would post that list.:)