Weight Loss and Getting in Shape

AbielleRose

That's fantastic Timmo well done! If I could get down to just under 12 stone I'd actually be really happy with my weight. Still 'technically' overweight and would like to lose a stone more than that, but to be honest, if I got down to that weight I'd be perfectly happy for the rest of my life.

ETA: May as well update my progress. I'm on day three. I rarely make it past day three, the vast majority of my diets fail at this point, I cave and have one bar of chocolate, which isn't the end of the world, but it IS the end of my motivation and willpower. Two days running I have stared down a variety of AMAZING chocolate at the til counter (today it was Galaxy Bubble Eggs and Mars eggs) without buying anything. Last night I did have a cheeky nibbly of the corner of a purple Quality Street sweet, but it really was just a small bite of one corner, barely got any caramel, and it was just enough to dissolve in my mouth and give me the flavour. I think I'll do that when I desperately crave something sweet.

And today I've so far just had one shake, most of my RDA of water, and half a wholewheat roll with an egg in it, no salt no butter, no mayo. And I'm not actually too hungry! Rather than snacking, I'm going to have a second shake around seven or half seven (looking forward to the chocolateyness of it mmmm). I don't use a scales, but I haven't noticed any difference in the mirror. It has only been three days though, I shouldn't expect to see anything until at least one week is up, if not 2. So then, roll on day 4!!

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, if you can lose on that number of calories a day, it's great! I never could. Re Atkins, all you do is eat the foods I mention above. Protein, some vegetables, No sugar or grains. Count carbohydrates instead of calories. When you start checking out the number of carbs in food, it's amazingly high. On what Atkins calls the Induction Phase, you can only have 20 carbs a day. that only lasts two weeks though. There are some in-between phases, then finally the Maintaince Phase. In the end, it's really about letting go of sugars. In their Maintaince Phase, there are plenty of complex carbs like good grain breads, whole wheat pasta, stuff like that, just not the simple sugars, like cake and ice cream. It isn't for everyone, and everyone can't do it. It's a good idea to check with your doctor about any diet. If you have any medical conditions, that can affect your decisions about any diet as well. I'm pretty much healthy as a horse, and will be more so after I lose the next 40 pounds.

Thanks for your reply!

Could you specify what you meant with "if I can lose on that amount of calories"? Is it too much do you think? I burn 1300 cals every day just existing. But I'm fairly active and to maintain my weight I need to eat about 1600 cals. Plus, when I exercise, if you subtract that amount then my total goes down to.. 1100-1000. So that's okay.

Nollaig, it's tough living in Britain. Your culture seems to focus on sweets a lot. I'm a huge chocolate lover but since the temptations are so reduced it doesn't really matter.

I started eating healthyish (Watching sugar and saturated fat contents) and going to the gym three times a week in Oct 2010, I was 15t 6lbs. I stuck to this and allow my self the occasional treat and I am now 11st 10lbs :D

That's great, good going!

Thanks for your reply!

Could you specify what you meant with "if I can lose on that amount of calories"? Is it too much do you think? I burn 1300 cals every day just existing. But I'm fairly active and to maintain my weight I need to eat about 1600 cals. Plus, when I exercise, if you subtract that amount then my total goes down to.. 1100-1000. So that's okay.

Nollaig, it's tough living in Britain. Your culture seems to focus on sweets a lot. I'm a huge chocolate lover but since the temptations are so reduced it doesn't really matter.

Oh, I only meant that on that amount of calories, I wouldn't lose weight, or if I did it would be very slowly. But I think I probably have a low metabolism. Everyone is different. If that amount of calories a day work for you, stick with it! I expect I am not as active as you are, and certainly much older, and the older one gets, the more difficult it is to lose weight.

So you are doing the right thing, losing it now. Just don't regain.....too much. :)

That's fantastic Timmo well done! If I could get down to just under 12 stone I'd actually be really happy with my weight. Still 'technically' overweight and would like to lose a stone more than that, but to be honest, if I got down to that weight I'd be perfectly happy for the rest of my life.

ETA: May as well update my progress. I'm on day three. I rarely make it past day three, the vast majority of my diets fail at this point, I cave and have one bar of chocolate, which isn't the end of the world, but it IS the end of my motivation and willpower. Two days running I have stared down a variety of AMAZING chocolate at the til counter (today it was Galaxy Bubble Eggs and Mars eggs) without buying anything. Last night I did have a cheeky nibbly of the corner of a purple Quality Street sweet, but it really was just a small bite of one corner, barely got any caramel, and it was just enough to dissolve in my mouth and give me the flavour. I think I'll do that when I desperately crave something sweet.

And today I've so far just had one shake, most of my RDA of water, and half a wholewheat roll with an egg in it, no salt no butter, no mayo. And I'm not actually too hungry! Rather than snacking, I'm going to have a second shake around seven or half seven (looking forward to the chocolateyness of it mmmm). I don't use a scales, but I haven't noticed any difference in the mirror. It has only been three days though, I shouldn't expect to see anything until at least one week is up, if not 2. So then, roll on day 4!!

Yes, 2 days is a little too soon. :friends3:

But you say you feel better, and that's certainly a giant step in the right direction!

Think how great it'll be when you can fit into something you haven't worn in months/years.

A couple of years ago, I'd lost 23 or 24 pounds, and looked and felt immensely better. I remember the absolutely wonderful feeling when a neighbor I hadn't seen in several months saw me across the front of the grocery, and the jaw dropped. I could see it 30 feet away. mmmmmloverly. lolol

A couple of years ago, I'd lost 23 or 24 pounds, and looked and felt immensely better. I remember the absolutely wonderful feeling when a neighbor I hadn't seen in several months saw me across the front of the grocery, and the jaw dropped. I could see it 30 feet away. mmmmmloverly. lolol

Haha yeah I can imagine! I'd love to lose a noticeable amount of weight by Easter (which I think is a realistic goal - not lose ALL the weight by then, but a fair amount) because I'd love to see the looks on people's faces. I also have a friend in Dublin who knew me when I was thin years ago (when we dated) and has probably, more than anyone, seen the increases in my weight as I only see him once a year. I'd love to see his face if for once I had LOST weight when he saw me! :D

I think my chocolate cravings are less today too. Not thinking about it so much. This has happened to me before - other times I've made it to the three/four day mark, I miss chocolate less and less.

Hey Nollaig, well done so far :) I'm not doing too badly aching like mad after I went to zumba last night, and I walked to work and home again today for the first time in what seems like ages. But I say no pain no gain! I used to eat chocolate like no tomorrow, because I craved sweeter things during the day for like energy and that, but for lent last year I gave up chocolate which really helped me cut down on the amount I eat and apart from christmas in which I ate waaay too much chocolate, I have now pretty much quit it completely again which tbh is not that bad.

I've decided to treat myself to one chocolate thing on a sunday if I'm good all week as my personal reward. :)

Its Day 3 for me so far so I'm holding up pretty well or so I hope... I am aiming in about 2/3 weeks to fit into a pair of jeans a size smaller then my current jeans size as I bought them a few months ago thinking that they would fit me :(

Nollaig, Yeah, I agree, Easter time is a good time frame to think about. I figure about the same for myself. Maybe a little sooner if I keep losing nearish the same rate. I started this diet 10 days ago, and have lost 8 pounds. /fingers crossed/

BookGeek, I too am a chocoholic, but I find the longer I go without, the easier it becomes. Starbucks has come out with a new mocha/coffee drink that is very low in carbs, and that seems to be our weekly treat of choice. We both love to go in there and just relax in the huge leather easy chairs, pull out the kindle, or on a Sunday grab the New York Times and go through it.

Funny, I see more articles reading it like that than ever I see on line.

Hyzenthlay, Yours is probably the most sensible diet. Smaller portions of what you are used to eating. With possible exceptions, ie fats and sugars. Good going!

I lapsed a bit today as I had a strange day at work and treated myself to a chocolate brownie in the Sainsbury's cafe. I was very good though with the shopping list and bought mountains of fruit and veg with various seeds and nuts to put me back on the straight and narrow !

Thanks for that June now I don't feel bad saying exactly the same thing! lapsed a bit, but with good reason - I've feel feeling chronically weak and faint the last couple of days, and I wondered could it be that I went from intaking probably twice, if not occasionally three times, my sugar allowance a day, particularly in Coke but also in chocolate, so I tried eating some chocolate and eating some coke, and hey presto, feeling a lot better. I think maybe I should wean myself off them, rather than cutting them out totally.

I bought healthy things in the shop too, some chicken and salad, and some low fat laughing cow cheese pieces to stick on a cracker from time to time if I need something to nibble. :) On the plus side of having coke and chocolate - I didn't lose all motivation to continue my healthy eating, which I'm pretty sure is down to adoring slimfast shakes! So, it'll probably take longer than I'd like to lose weight, but I'm making permenant changes slowly, which is better than quick temporary changes.

Yay I am still doing well, but I find that by the time I eat like lunch, I'm still hungry afterwards and even after dinner which is my main meal I'm hungry afterwards, and I'm defintely going to the toilet more, does anyone else have this problem?

I wonder if its because I'm eating less and snacking less and so therefore my body is getting used to having less food, or if I should maybe have something after work like cheese and crackers... ?

Yay I am still doing well, but I find that by the time I eat like lunch, I'm still hungry afterwards and even after dinner which is my main meal I'm hungry afterwards, and I'm defintely going to the toilet more, does anyone else have this problem?

I wonder if its because I'm eating less and snacking less and so therefore my body is getting used to having less food, or if I should maybe have something after work like cheese and crackers... ?

I've always read that eating 6 small meals is better than eating 3 regular meals.

I take that to mean that grazing can be a good thing, if the food you are eating is healthy. Not chips and chocolate. :D

So, maybe try to eat smaller meals more often. Could you do that?

Wow I weighed myself this morning, after gaining an horrific 9lb over Christmas I have lost nearly half of it in a week, I lost 4lb this wekphew what a relief. :smile:

Fantastic! Don't stop now!

Thanks Noll - I feel a bit less guilty about yesterday having read about your own lapse ! I was a lot better today though and have so far eaten once glass of juice made with pink grapefruit, orange and passion fruit (home made), some white grapes, a tomato, and three slices of gluten free bread with cheese, spring onion and low fat mayonnaise, with grated carrot, plus one cup of tea with rice milk. I am now going to put the kettle on for another one !

No worries June, same as support for being good helps, support when lapsing helps too! :P

I've been good so far today, I've actually only had one chocolate shake, and I'm not really hungry! I think I'll get a sandwich in town since I'm not going to be snacking today, and just have my other shake this evening.

We went across the lake today to the South Shore (New Orleans suburbs) to an estate sale, yes, we found some books. :) Also some lovely crystal wine glasses (8) only 15 USD. There were quite a few things we'd have liked to have bought, but either too expensive, or too big to fit in the Jeep. Or both! :P Also stopped in at the huge Barnes & Noble over there. /sigh/ Yes, we found some sale books. :giggle:

The diet, amazingly, remained intact. I had a grilled chicken salad and hubby had a beautiful hamburger pattywith cheese. Thick and luscious. It came with french fries (chips to you guys :) ) amd he only ate two of them, so that didn't amount to much of anything.

Edited by pontalba

I started my healthy challange last week. I didn't start it sooner as the kids were still home from school.

My challange is not necessarly about loosing weight but to be able to look good in a bikini for my holiday. I want to tone up my stomach badly.

I have cut out the chocolate and the snacking.

I do exercise everyday. Some days I do the Just Dance 3 sweat programme. somedays I use my wii fit and sometimes I use my iPod Nike fitness programme which is fab.

I haven't weighed myself but I will do on Monday.

Let the challange commence.

Good Luck to everyone who is trying to get fit or loose weight!

I wouldn't say I was on a diet as such but I have made a conscious decision since New Year's Day to cut out all the crap I've felt I've eaten a lot of over the past three or four months. I'm on Day 14 now and so far I'm doing really well. I've had no chocolate, sweets, cakes or even crisps in all that time, which personally I feel is quite an achievement considering the family are still working their way through all the backlog of things we've had leftover from the festive period. I've even turned down homemade baking which is something I don't think I have ever done before... quite an achievement for someone who doesn't just have one sweet tooth, but rather a whole mouthful of them!

I haven't weighed myself in months either, so I have no idea what my starting weight was but I'm going to try and hold off weighing myself until the end of January. Hopefully by then it won't be quite a shock!

I even borrowed a Davina McCall fitness DVD from a work colleague of mine earlier in the week and stuck it on one evening. I thought it looked like it could be fun (and good for me), but as someone who hasn't been in a gym since her schooldays I figured if I tried something like that on my own I'd end up hurting myself... or worse! So, I think I'll stick to getting my diet and food intake under control before considering any form of exercise!

Thats fantastic about not eating anything sweet @mrslovebug. My kids still have xmas treats and we still hve bits left over. I am so tempted.

After looking and replying in this thread I went on Amazon and got the EA SPORT active 2 for the Wii. If David Beckham endorsed it, well I have to give it a shot! Also did 45 mins of just dance and was rather sweaty!!!

This is a great thread and will make me keep going on my long, hard and I think at times smelly challenge.

Eek, I'm down to my lowest weight possibly ever (since I became an adult at least). Yay? Shh, it's a secret.

Fantastic! And you look great in your posted picture, don't need ot lose any more. :D

. I've even turned down homemade baking which is something I don't think I have ever done before... quite an achievement for someone who doesn't just have one sweet tooth, but rather a whole mouthful of them!

I am officially impressed! What a great start you have. :D

I started my healthy challange last week. I didn't start it sooner as the kids were still home from school.

My challange is not necessarly about loosing weight but to be able to look good in a bikini for my holiday. I want to tone up my stomach badly.

I have cut out the chocolate and the snacking.

I do exercise everyday. Some days I do the Just Dance 3 sweat programme. somedays I use my wii fit and sometimes I use my iPod Nike fitness programme which is fab.

I haven't weighed myself but I will do on Monday.

Let the challange commence.

Good Luck to everyone who is trying to get fit or loose weight!

'Tis a good start. Looks like everyone is doing well, Yays!!! ;)

I am not strictly speaking on a diet but I am getting fit slowly but surely since I got a wii and use the Wii fit plus every day or nearly every day I have only misssed a few days in months usually do about an hour a night but recently have upped it to about an hour and a half and thats doing the exersizes not the in between times. So I have lost between half and a stone I aim to be fitter by the summer really so I can get out and do more outside activities.

I see a few people have mentioned having and using a Wii. Would you recommend getting one? How much room and time do you need in order to make full use of it?

Although I'm doing quite good with the food side of things I know for a fact I'm probably not getting enough exercise to make that much of a difference and going to the gym is just not me. I hate even the thought of it and wouldn't know where to start and even I did I don't think I'd be able to do it, confidence wise.

MrsLovebug, I don't know much about the Wii Fit but I can tell you one thing - whether or not you exercise, what and how much you eat makes all the difference.

If you don't like the gym, then taking walks is both fun and extremely helpful with weight loss. If you keep the pace moderate+, that's the perfect intensity of exercise you need, plus you can go for ages! You don't need a gym unless you're training for a race / for a specific goal / you really love gyms (like me).

edit: Noll + pontalba, you're incredibly sweet <3. I want to try and slow my weight loss down a little, reach my goal slower than I am now. I've perhaps become a little obsessed with calorie counting. :/

Edited by Hyzenthlay