Your Book Activity Today - Thread 9

Janet

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read some more of Cabal. Does anyone know where BCF went for about three hours? It seemed to vanish into the twilight zone of the net :D

I read some more of Cabal. Does anyone know where BCF went for about three hours? It seemed to vanish into the twilight zone of the net :D

Michelle said on Facebook it was because the server went down :(

Today I posted out 3 books to various people, and then I bought some more

I'm glad it wasn't just me Rawr. I wasn't sure if it was problems at my end and I was suffering severe withdrawals without my morning fix of BCF. :(

I've read another 100 pages or so of Living Dead in Dallas. I'm really enjoying it. :D

I took it as a wee hint from the universe to go read so I started The children's book by A.S Byatt got into it pretty quick, I usually find Byatt a strugle but I've got a feeling I will finish this quickly.

I joined bookmouch too stunned that all 7 books that I've put up have already been claimed!

I managed to read a few pages of Swan Thieves this morning before work but just got home so hopefully will squeeze more in before bed tonight. I also just received a late birthday present of a Barnes & Noble gift card so I'm excited to spend it this weekend! :D

I made a trip to the library today and have a few books to read. First on my list is Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder. Can't wait!

Ooh, let me know if it's any good. I read the first one, Poison Study, a little while ago and loved it. :D

Read another 10 pages in Gone with the Wind. :roll: This is such a wonderful story, I'm loving it!

I keep forgetting that I have this one. I really must get to it as I've been dying to read it for years!

As it is, I'm still working my way through the books I got at Xmas. I've just started Pandaemonium by Christopher Brookmyre (having finally abandoned The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson) and although I'm only a few pages in, I think I already know I'm going to love it! I've never yet been disappointed by any of Brookmyres books. Yes, some are better than others, but they're all bl**dy good reads. :(

Edited by Kell

I'm still reading Fallen by Lauren Kate, it doesn't seem to be going anywhere just yet but I'll stick at it, I believe it picks up. I'm almost 3 quarters of the way through The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde as well :(

Edit: Nollaig I read Let The Right One In last year and have to say it was one of my surprises of 2009, I loved it. It ended up being one of my favourite reads, totally surprised me. I hope you like it if you do read it. :D

Edited by Charm

I'm still reading Fallen by Lauren Kate, it doesn't seem to be going anywhere just yet but I'll stick at it, I believe it picks up. I'm almost 3 quarters of the way through The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde as well :(

Edit: Nollaig I read Let The Right One In last year and have to say it was one of my surprises of 2009, I loved it. It ended up being one of my favourite reads, totally surprised me. I hope you like it if you do read it. :D

I felt that way about Fallen too, about half way through it suddenly picks up transforming into a completely different book.

We've got the Book People coming in again today. Now the question is ... do I sit tight and strap myself to my desk or do I make a short trip to our reception area and have a look - it's a no brainer really:lol: I'll let you know what I buy (if any).:D

Tonight I'm going to make a little stop at Barnes and Noble to pick up a new copy of Alfred Lord Tennyson's poetry. I'd gotten into a habit of reading a poem or two before bed and would like to resume that routine as his work really touches and comforts me.

I hope to read another 2 chapters of Gone with the Wind today.

We've got the Book People coming in again today. Now the question is ... do I sit tight and strap myself to my desk or do I make a short trip to our reception area and have a look - it's a no brainer really:lol: I'll let you know what I buy (if any).:(

We had them in our building yesterday but I managed to avoid buying anything! :D

Yesterday I released books registered on Bookcrossing

'Against All Odds' ~ Elizabeth Moon (wild released it in Aberdeen)

'A Dirge for Sabis' ~ C J Cherryh & Leslie Fish (handed in to charity shop)

'A Well-Tempered Clavier' ~ William Coles (handed in to charity shop)

From the charity shop I bought

'On Chesil Beach' ~ Ian McEwan

Today I recieved a bookring from a fellow bookcrosser another

Debbie Macomber ~ 'Old Boyfriends'

Oh and I bought a book yesterday too for my hubby (bdy) but can't say what it is

I feel that Cell starts brilliantly but loses it's way around the two thirds mark, it's as if he had a really good beginning to a situation but then didn't know where to go after, if he wasn't so stubborn on getting so many stories out then I think he would have conjured something better up, but the man's productivity is to be admired even if sometimes it can be irritating when the ending is a let down :D

I have felt like that about every book he has written except The Shining. I always find them really good at first but then they just lag towards the end.

Yes, I think King's mindset is always that the story is the most important thing, I generally don't think he cares much for endings as a writer, which I can understand, but I feel he disrespects his story by doing this. The adventures are usually worth it and I don't think he cares much for catharsis :D

I read a couple pages of my friend's last project :(