Your Book Activity Today - Thread 9

Janet

I've finished the first book in the Cranford volume for my reading group in a couple of weeks, however, the edition chosen also has three other books in it I need to read! So it looks like I'll be on this one for at least another week. It's a slow read as there is little actual dialogue, and I'm finding it distracting that I already know the stories from the television series, but they don't tie up in chronological order and some of the characters are different.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you. I just wrote out the brackets myself in the end. I was trying to quote two people so does that still work? My computer skills are pretty much limited to surfing the internet.

Yes, it works for all the posts selected. :roll: You can even click on it in one thread, and then when you hit 'reply' it will quote it in another thread (it will ask you something like "you've selected a quote that wasn't from this thread - do you want to post it?") - it's clever stuff!

Read pretty solidly this morning, reading about 200 pages of Blacklands by Belinda Bauer and finished it off.

My Mum and I bought half each of this on Friday! It sounds good. :lol:

I am still plodding through Angels and Demons, but haven't read much of that in the last few days as I got "The Stranger Beside Me" by Ann Rule (as recommended by Frankie!) and have read about 40 pages today whilst waiting for my Mum to get up earlier.

After 3 hours of snow shovelling yesterday, I ate alot, and then read Bolano's very short By Night In Chile which was a major Wow. More coherent thoughts to come on my blog thread. Then a nap. Then I read MacBeth straight through with surprising ease. My thoughts are on the reading circle thread. Another nap. Then almost half of Maupassant's Alien Hearts, really good.

After all the naps, I woke up early this morning, and read a few more chapters of My Name Is Red, which I had been bogged down in, but now is also getting really good. So, Red or Alien, probably both.

I finished Firefly Lane today.. SUCH a great book! If you read this one, buy some tissues... sheesh.. :roll:

No more time for reading today since we have Super Bowl stuff to do, but tomorrow I hope to start The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton.

Just finished The Neon Bible. Another fantastic book. I'm having a good run at the moment. In the morning I'll have to pick a new one for my first day back at work after my week off ;)

Would you recommend it to fans of A Confederacy of Dunces? Does it have the same sort of humour?

I finished The Shining on Saturday. It turned out to be really good, it actually gave me the heebie-jeebies which hasn't happened to me in a while!

I also finished the first Merry Gentry book A Kiss of Shadows, which was a strange one. I don't know if I like it but I felt compelled to continue the series...

Have started Skin Trade by L K Hamilton, it's different to the last few books but it feels a bit like she's trying to make another book like Obsidian Butterfly, it might change as I'm not that far in to it yet.

^Had that same feeling about Skin Trade, but since I liked OB that's not a problem. Flirt's out about now, have you got that one yet? Hope it goes back to the earlier books a bit, felt like plot was suffering under the amounts of sex for the last couple of books. ;)

^Had that same feeling about Skin Trade, but since I liked OB that's not a problem. Flirt's out about now, have you got that one yet? Hope it goes back to the earlier books a bit, felt like plot was suffering under the amounts of sex for the last couple of books. :censored:

Haven't got Flirt yet, I'd forgotten it was coming out this month actually but I will be getting it soon. I too hope it will be going back to the earlier books. The sex was getting too much even for me!;)

I'd recommend it to anyone although it's probably a little more interesting for people who've read A Confederacy of Dunces. But they're not similar at all. The Neon Bible doesn't have much humour and it's a lot more melancholy. Not depressing though! Wouldn't want to put anyone off.

Thanks for your thoughts. I will definitely look into it at some point.

I read about 100 pages of Gone with the Wind yesterday, a bit disappointing as I was really hoping to read at least 200 pages. Good stuff anyway :censored:

Wow, you aim high Frankie! I'm rapt if I manage 100 pages. I have read just over that today and I'm hoping to read another chapter before bed if I can drag myself away from here and the TV long enough. GwtW will definitely be going on my favourites list. I love it. ;)

Wow, you aim high Frankie! I'm rapt if I manage 100 pages. I have read just over that today and I'm hoping to read another chapter before bed if I can drag myself away from here and the TV long enough. GwtW will definitely be going on my favourites list. I love it. ;)

Too high is more like it :censored: Go on, turn off the telly and read :censored: