Your Book Activity Today - Thread 9

Janet

Time for a new thread. :friends0:

I've finally given up on The Children's Book by A S Byatt. I really don't know why I struggled to get into it. I was enjoying the story but it felt like a chore rather than a pleasure, but I will hang on to it in the hopes of feeling more inspired in the future.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started reading Tender is the Night by F Scott Fitzgerald, but after just a few chapters I've put it down as I'm just not in the mood for it at all.

At the moment I'm reading The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson, which is OK, but nothing exciting so far (I'm maybr a quarter of the way in and it's plodding along. It's not so dull as I'm ready to abandon it just yet, but if it doesn't pick up within the next 3 or 4 chapters I'll not be bothering with the rest of it. I'm beginning to wonder what all the hoo-ha surrounding this book is all about...

I'm also re-reading The Plucker by Brom as I got it for Xmas. I'm only reading it a few pages at a time and really taking time to appreciate the artwork which is nothing short of stunning.

And I'm re-reading Macbeth by William Shakespeare for the reading circle. It'd my favourite play by The Bard and it's been quite afew years since I last read it, so I'm enjoying the beautiful language and the intrigue all over again.

And I'm thinking of starting Pandaemonium by Christopher Brookmyre as his pitch-black humour is so very different from everything else I'm reading at the moment and I always love his books - he's so witty.

At the moment I'm reading The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson, which is OK, but nothing exciting so far (I'm maybr a quarter of the way in and it's plodding along. It's not so dull as I'm ready to abandon it just yet, but if it doesn't pick up within the next 3 or 4 chapters I'll not be bothering with the rest of it. I'm beginning to wonder what all the hoo-ha surrounding this book is all about...

A friend at work is reading this and said it took her a while to plod through all the details at the beginning and for it to start being really good, but she got there and she absolutely loves it. It seems to be the consensus from a few friends and some reviews on here, so I hope it works out the same for you and you start loving it soon! :friends0:

I'm 130 pages into Firefly Lane now.. have plenty of time for reading today. It's still wonderful!

I just finished Dance Dance Dance by Haruki Murakami this morning, and I'm debating whether or not to start The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. I kind of want to save it.

Currently reading Gone With The Wind for the Rory Challenge and alongside that I'm reading I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan and The Ladies Of Grace Adieu by Susanna Clarke :friends0:

I read another 100 pages of Gone with the Wind yesterday (which is great for me because I usually read next to nothing on weekends) and I've now passed the halfway mark. I'm aiming to read another good-sized chunk today. :friends0:

I finished Fearless Fourteen by Janet Evanovich which I really enjoyed and now onto Finger Lickin' Fifteen by Evanovich.

Must look into Gone with the Wind. I loved the film and wouldn't mind reading it. I also got two Val McDermid books for 50p each in a charity shop. Beneath the Bleeding and Killing the Shadows.

I read 100 more pages of Firefly Lane tonight... still a little more time for reading since we're staying in tonight. :roll:

I also bought The Autobiography of an Execution by David. R. Dow today while we wandered around the bookstore... Looks really interesting. :lol:

Must look into Gone with the Wind. I loved the film and wouldn't mind reading it.

Join our ranks if you want, some of us are reading the novel as it is and you could still catch up with us!

I read 86 pages of Gone with the Wind last night and I'm hoping to read a good deal more today! :roll:

Well I decided to stick with Fallen by Lauren Kate and it's gradually got better.

Going out to lunch, wondering if it would be really rude to take book. :roll:

Can't decide what to start next either the 1st Sookie Stackhouse book or The children's book by A.S Byatt.

Struggling to get started reading today but I will force myself soon. I read so much in the last coupe of days that my mind's a bit exhausted.

Ok I'm lazy. But I will read soon.

:lol:

I`ve read two really good books in the last couple of days (To Kill A Mocking Bird and A Thousand Splendid Suns) Now I`m finding it hard to choose another to follow them. :roll:

That`s my excuse and I`m sticking to it! :D

I managed a few sentences last night in Gone with the Wind before falling asleep on top of the book :roll: Now I don't remember which page I was on and will need to find it before continuing... Good thing I wasn't that far in! (Ahh, a silver lining to losing your mojo.)

I am planning on really focusing today so that I can read at least 50 pages before the Super Bowl festivities start.

Read pretty solidly this morning, reading about 200 pages of Blacklands by Belinda Bauer and finished it off. Only started it yesterday luchtime after finishing The Little Stranger by Sarah Walters. A really good weekend of reading so far.

Can't decide what to start next.

Juliet, Naked - Nick Hornby

One Day - David Nicholls

Six Suspects - Vikus Swarup

In the Dark - Mark Billingham

Will have a think and then start one tonight.