Who do you identify with?

Wyrdskein

Mr. Hyde. ( Of 'Dr. Jekyll and.....') Sometimes, I think I have an evil alter-ego dying to have a life of her own! :roll: When you're nice to everybody all the time, they seem to take advantage of it. I'd love to set certain people straight (i.e.--lazy slackers at work, that goof off all day!) and get away with it.

Mr. Hyde. ( Of 'Dr. Jekyll and.....')

:roll:

In a way. But I also sometimes feel that I have a deep seated pride in myself. A pride that I can change people by yanking their shoulders somehow. Arrogant, true but I am beginning to believe a holistic version of this nowadays. One character I sort of associate this with is Alyosha Karamazov in The Brothers Karamazov.

Also, I have a tendency to daydream, so far am I sometimes in my daydreams that I wonder whether I'm turning schizophrenic. So in another way, I'm also Don Quixote. :lol:

Well, to be completely honest I'm most like a character from my own book.

I cant remember a fictional character I have felt more in-tune with in recent years than Lisbeth Salander. Whilst I have not experienced anywhere near the hardships she did throughout the story, I can fully relate to her outlook on life in just wanting to be left alone, being an outsider, and not giving a stuff what anyone else's opinion of me is!

Interesting thread. :roll: I have to say that I can't think of any characters I've identified with in any of the books I've read. There have been many characters I've fallen in love with, could imagine spending all my time with, or enjoyed loathing, but never one that reminded me of myself.

I remember relating a lot to the main character in The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.

I identified with this character a lot too, and then recommended the book to a friend as I also saw a lot of him in the character.

Quixotic librarian/poet Pico, from Keith Miller's The Book of Flying - before

he lost his became all cynical by the end.

Also the nameless Dreamer from Dostoevskij's The White Nights - before

he decided he was happy that the girl he'd fallen in love with had accepted to marry the 'person of dubious parentage' who'd broken her heart before he met her.

... why do my bookish alter-egos always let my down ;)?

Edited by BookJumper

Interesting thread. ;) I have to say that I can't think of any characters I've identified with in any of the books I've read. There have been many characters I've fallen in love with, could imagine spending all my time with, or enjoyed loathing, but never one that reminded me of myself.

I have to say I agree with this, not sure my life which is pretty dull and routine..get up go to work come home again means that I can't identify with anyone I read about, I often wish I could be more like characters, but maybe thats why I read so much because they have just intresting lives, even when things are going bad for them or something horrible is happening its pure escapism.

I have to say I agree with this, not sure my life which is pretty dull and routine..get up go to work come home again means that I can't identify with anyone I read about, I often wish I could be more like characters, but maybe thats why I read so much because they have just intresting lives, even when things are going bad for them or something horrible is happening its pure escapism.

I don't think there is any one character I can associate with completely but sometimes they will say or do something and I wish I'd thought of it or was brave enough.

The way I see it is that it's a matter of feeling kinship with the soul of a character more than anything else. Alas, I'm no rare-book librarian on a quest for wings (I wish ;)!), but I identified with Pico because I'm the kind of daydreaming idealist he was.

I cant remember a fictional character I have felt more in-tune with in recent years than Lisbeth Salander!

I loved Lizbeth. I felt I could really understand her. Also, I really identified with Mr. Rochester (Jane Eyre).

Good grief, am I that moody and dark :roll: