Book to film / TV...

Capture

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funnily enough, one of the series I'd like to see filmed has recently begun production. HBO have been filming George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice And Fire in Ireland. They've commissioned a ten episode season to be based around the first book in the series, A Game of Thrones. If it's anywhere near as good as the book it'll be fantastic. It is HBO after all!

Agreed! I can't wait for it to come out next year!

A series I really want to see made is 'The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle' by Haruki Murakami

I don't know if anyone had mentioned them but I would love to see Lian Herns book about the Otori clan as a movie/movies. They are such great books and I think they would translate perfectly on to the big screen

C.J Sansom's Matthew Shardlake historical crime series set during Henry VIII's reign starting with Dissolution,and G.M Ford's Frank Corso crime series staring with Fury.

C.J Sansom's Matthew Shardlake historical crime series set during Henry VIII's reign starting with Dissolution

Agreed - Shardlake is a great character and the stories are good too. But what actor would be prepared to made up as a hunchback? He is after all only about 40 so it would have to be a youngish one. (Being 41 myself I still think of 40 as young!).

Another character who I'm surprised no American channel has picked up on yet is Lee Child's Jack Reacher. Not sure I would want them to unless it was done really well with a quality actor.

I think Sarah Waters 'The Little Stranger' would be a perfect TV adaptation for over the Christmas/New Year period .. I believe she has had interest both from film and TV production companies and that she's deciding which one to go for so it's probably in the pipeline as we type ... can't wait.

You know I would love to see some of Enid Blyton's books come to the screen like The Famous 5 and The Secret 7.I think a lot of kids would get some enjoyment from her books coming to life..:lol:

They actually did a couple of the books as a TV series in the 70's I think (I saw them on video in the 80's). The ones I saw were 'Five go to Smugglers Top' and 'Five go off in a Caravan'..

I would really like to see the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child to be made into a film/TV series! I have no idea who would play him though...Not sure who could live up to the '...men want to be him and women want to be with him' tag!

Perhaps George Clooney.

Another character who I'm surprised no American channel has picked up on yet is Lee Child's Jack Reacher. Not sure I would want them to unless it was done really well with a quality actor.

Completely agree with this one!

Edited by Janet
merged consecutive posts

Paramount have supposedly been developing one of the Jack Reacher novels, One Shot, to be made into a movie.

From Lee Child's website:

September 25. 2008: The latest news is Paramount Pictures has tapped "A History of Violence" scribe Josh Olson to adapt "One Shot." Story centers on a Dirty Harry-like homicide investigator who seeks the truth behind what seems an open-and-shut murder case after a trained military sniper is arrested for shooting five random victims. Olson's credits include "Oz," which is in active development at Warner Bros. He also penned an adaptation of Dennis Lehane's short story "Until Gwen," which he will direct. Olson will next pen the Korean remake "Soo" for producer Barry Josephson.

At present, they haven't chosen a director, nor any of the actors. When they do, we'll be the first to let you know, right here. Whatever you read elsewhere, you can ignore. If anyone has the scoop, it's Lee!

FYI, Lee figures that as long as Hollywood leaves the novel-writing to him, he'll leave the movie-making to them so he won't be working on the screenplay with Olson, nor involved in choosing the cast, not even who plays Reacher. If you're an actor hoping to score the lead role, please have your agent contact Paramount Studios and, fingers crossed, we'll see you on the big screen soon!

I'd love to see this happen :lol:

I think Sarah Waters 'The Little Stranger' would be a perfect TV adaptation for over the Christmas/New Year period .. I believe she has had interest both from film and TV production companies and that she's deciding which one to go for so it's probably in the pipeline as we type ... can't wait.

Oooh - that could be really good - if they don't mess with it! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Adriana Trigiani's Big Stone Gap series. Although I have heard that the first one is going to be made into a film, so I will definitely been watching out for it:)

I love these books, Ruth! I especially loved the first in the trilogy, so I'm looking forward to seeing it on the big screen too :motz:.

L. J. Smiths Night World series could be made into a fun teen, young adult oriented show I think. The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede could be fun too.

I agree!!! The books vampire Diaries have been made into a teen tv series and I think Night World would make an even more brilliant series! No films though, fimls always seem to ruin the books!

I'm not sure if someone's mentioned it earlier in this thread (it's a long thread and I'm tired), but I would really, really like to see Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files brought back, made better, or made into films. They did one series for TV but they changed so much of it that it didn't seem like Dresden anymore. They even changed the coat he wears!

So yeah, I'd really like for them to make a decent adaptation of The Dresden Files. I think the books would work really well as films. :D

I'd love to see someone have a crack at Peter F Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy, and Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of The Fallen, but I reckon they're both pretty much unfilmable. Mind you, Alan Moore said the same about Watchmen :irked:

I just picked up The Reality Dysfunction at work. Didn't really know much about it but it sounded interesting. The thing is on the cover it said it was unabridged so I thought I had picked up the whole Night's Dawn trilogy till I got it home. Then I looked it up and realised it was just book one. It's over 1200 pages long! It'd better be good.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Angels and Demons at the cinema and I found that I was counting the scenes and facts they changed throughout the film. I didn't expect it to be as good as the book but I always feel like I must see the films made after books I have read. :D

There were several things. If I remember correctly, they changed the name of the girl's father and even though the former part of the movie was all right, everything started going downhill as I came back from the break.

It was the same with the DaVinci Code really - they changed the ending completely and such.

And if you want to discuss movies gone wrong - Eragon. For those who have seen it and read the book as well, you know what I'm talking about.

I was mortified that a key point in My Sister's Keeper was changed.

In the book, Anna dies in a car accident and her organs are used to save her sister. In the movie, the sister died.

In fact, as soon as I realised they had changed that, I didn't watch the rest of the film

even though there were only a few minutes left.

I was absolutely livid over that one.

Chocolat! :D Ugh, just... ugh.

They changed one of the central characters from the town priest to the town mayor - which ruined the whole point of the conflict.

Not only that, but they made the imaginary rabbit, Pantoufle, into an imaginary kangaroo. The audience only see him in the last scene - but seriously, what was the point of changing the animal?

Grrr! :)

</And breathe>

I know films can't always be exactly like the book, so I try to keep an open mind when seeing a film that was originally a book. For me, it's a very rare occasion that I find the film better, in fact. It's when they change facts that bothers me, because really, what's the point? Just make your own movie and don't ruin the original!

Kubrick's Shining is tops on my most hated list, but I think I've ranted about that before so I'll leave it at that.

I was also pretty disappointed with the film version of Circle of Friends. While I loved Minnie Driver as Benny, they made Jack's character too good in the film. They wanted people to feel sorry for him instead of angry at the way he treated Benny. And the end? Don't get me started...