Book to film / TV...

Capture

And last but certainly not least, Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Nail Gaiman. There have been rumours circulating for years and years on a production of this and I would love to see it come to fruition. I think Michael Sheen would make a marvellous Crowley!

He really would wouldn't he! I always imagine Aziraphale to be played by Stephen Fry (or someone very similar) when I read the book.

This movie could be so good!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll see anything with Michael Sheen! :D

I would also love to see Armstrong's books turned into a series, and it'd probably do well since vampires, werewolves, etc are so popular these days.

I think Iain Pears' series with art theft investigator Jonathan Argyle would be hilarious on the small screen too :(.

The Wheel of Time series! As a TV series rather than a movie though. Why? I don't want them missing anything out!

But then again, considering how The Sword Of Truth series was seriously spoilt in the small screen portrayal, I think I'll just enjoy my own imagination rather than see the story of the Wheel of Time spoilt.

And a Sword of Shannara movie!! It would be epic!

Also a movie based on David Eddings's Belgariad!

I would love to see the vampire diarys by L.J. Smith in either a movie or tv series. I think there were like seven books so probably a film would be best. I have thought about writing a manuscript for it but thought it was too much effort.

Edited by BookJumper

i would love to see the vampire diarys by l j smith in either a movie or tv series. i think there were like seven books so prob a film would be best. i have thought about writing a manu script for it but thought it was to much effert.

They are already a series, didn't you know? Don't watch it, nor have I read the books, but I knew it as series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vampire_Diaries_%28TV_series%29

I'd like to see the Old Kingdom trilogy by Garth Nix as a trilogy of films.. they would be less of children's films than books, because, well, they deal with the shambling dead. :D But I'd like to see how they make the realm of Death. the Nine Precincts.. :(

I'd like to see some of Iain M. Banks Culture novels turned into films, as they've always had a cinematic feel to them, to my mind, but I suspect they would lose a lot in the translation.

Also, I'd like to see more good adaptations of John Wyndham novels (if they are like Triffids was at Christmas though, you can forget it!).

A period adaptation of War of the Worlds wouldn't go amiss, either.

I had heard of Celtic Films, but they didn't seem to have enough financial clout to pull it off properly. It needs to be epic - if you have read the books you'll know there is a lot of big scenes which would need considerable cost management - and a (relatively) small outfit would be overwhelmed very, very quickly.

Raven, you're more likely to see a sequel to The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen than you are to see a period adap of War Of The Worlds. You can thank Stephen Spielberg and Tom Cruise for killing any hope we have of that.

Also, Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next books - 'nuff said.

I don't know if I could bear it! Could it ever live up to the books? I think I'd rather just stick with the version in my head.

I'd still love to see a decent version of Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. All the adaptations I've seen haven't captured the essence of the book at all as far as I'm concerned, so if someone could get that right, I'd be delighted.

Raven, you're more likely to see a sequel to The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen than you are to see a period adap of War Of The Worlds. You can thank Stephen Spielberg and Tom Cruise for killing any hope we have of that.

I'm still hopeful the BBC might do a TV series of it. They are good at period stuff, and CGI Martians on a budget must be possible if Triffids is anything to go by.

I don't know if I could bear it! Could it ever live up to the books? I think I'd rather just stick with the version in my head.
Jasper states quite clearly on his website that he's never going to sell the rights to the TN books and that if ever a miniseries was to be made out of them, he would be behind it all, so if it ever does happen I think they would at the very least be pretty awesome :roll:!

Jasper states quite clearly on his website that he's never going to sell the rights to the TN books and that if ever a miniseries was to be made out of them, he would be behind it all, so if it ever does happen I think they would at the very least be pretty awesome :roll:!

I'm still not sure even that would be a good idea! :)

I'd still love to see a decent version of Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. All the adaptations I've seen haven't captured the essence of the book at all as far as I'm concerned, so if someone could get that right, I'd be delighted.

I totally agree with you, I once heard Juliet Stevenson read it .. and she got the humour of it over fantastically well. The old version that I saw (with Peter Firth) seemed to get it all wrong .. John and Isabella Thorpe were too sinister .. and they took the gothic theme to extremes.

I tend to wish that they'd leave Austen alone now though .. it's almost obscene the way they pillage her works .. and the results are getting worse.

I'd love to see Jonathan Stroud's 'Bartimaeous' trilogy filmed .. and Susanna Clarke's 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell' (I think that's already in the pipeline though).

I think Mari Strachan's 'The Earth Hums in B Flat' would be ideal for a TV drama.

I tend to wish that they'd leave Austen alone now though .. it's almost obscene the way they pillage her works .. and the results are getting worse.

You're probably right, although I've seen excellent versions of all the others, it's just Northanger Abbey left to make a decent production of ...

I think Mari Strachan's 'The Earth Hums in B Flat' would be ideal for a TV drama.

I loved that book and it would be perfect for adaptation.

• 1 month later...
Ever since I read the first book in John Marsden's Tomorrow, When the War Began series (about 15 years ago), I've been wanting to see it made into a movie/series. There are 10 books, so it would be better as a series and I believe they're finally going to do it! I'm so desperate to see it because the books are just so brilliant (one day I'll convince someone here to read them) and they would translate so well to a series.

Have you seen the official trailer, Kylie? It looks good. I haven't read the book though so I don't know how it 'translates' into a film.

OMG, thank you Janet for posting this! :lurker: I'm so ridiculously excited about seeing this; I've never wanted to see any movie adaptation so badly before. :exc::she::lol:

Personally, I think I would have made a better Ellie (I've harboured a secret desire for many years to make a movie of this and star in it myself :yahoo: - which goes to show how badly I've wanted this made into a movie considering how shy I am).

I have to say though, it does look pretty good. It looks like they have a good-sized budget for it, which is unusual for an Australian movie.

Oh, I did wonder how you ended up seeing the trailer at an Australian site! :exc:

I was a bit disappointed when I saw that Rachel from Neighbours was going to play the lead role of Ellie. She's not at all what I've pictured when reading the books (and I wasn't a fan of her in Neighbours), but she seems pretty good in the trailer.

I've watched the trailer twice now (it probably would have been a dozen times, but it takes soooo long to stream :yahoo:). I just don't know how I'm going to wait until September.

Thank you again for pointing it out. You've made my night. :lurker:

Funnily enough, one of the series I'd like to see filmed has recently begun production. HBO have been filming George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice And Fire in Ireland. They've commissioned a ten episode season to be based around the first book in the series, A Game of Thrones. If it's anywhere near as good as the book it'll be fantastic. It is HBO after all!

I'd love to see someone have a crack at Peter F Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy, and Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of The Fallen, but I reckon they're both pretty much unfilmable. Mind you, Alan Moore said the same about Watchmen :lurker: