Book to film / TV...

Capture

Gemma Arterton. Not many other notable appearances

She's been a Bond Girl Which on it's own is a rather notable accomplisment in an Actresses career. But you're not wrong about her being absolutely drop dead gorgeous.

Someone earlier mentioned George R. R. Martin's A Game Of Thrones is to be made? Most of the book was rather racy. I Hope HBO make a good job of it.

Personally I'd like to see A Night's Dawn made into a 26 Hour Long Episodes-a-season TV series. I think it would adapt onto screen so very well. If only the books weren't so long. Listening to Peter F.Hamilton Himself, he said he has spoken to a few producers and none of them can see how to script it properly without cutting vital parts. He did however say he was more than open to offers. Something to look out for.

Edited by Amesy

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone earlier mentioned George R. R. Martin's A Game Of Thrones is to be made? Most of the book was rather racy. I Hope HBO make a good job of it.

If the trailers are anything to go by it's going to be fantastic. It certainly has some racy scenes but to say most of it was racy might be overstating it a little :lol: Anyway, that sort of content doesn't seem to bother HBO in the slightest :wink:

Only two months till it premieres now ...

Personally I'd like to see A Night's Dawn made into a 26 Hour Long Episodes-a-season TV series. I think it would adapt onto screen so very well. If only the books weren't so long. Listening to Peter F.Hamilton Himself, he said he has spoken to a few producers and none of them can see how to script it properly without cutting vital parts. He did however say he was more than open to offers. Something to look out for.

I'm with the producers on this one - I think it's way too complex and virtually unfilmable, and I'd hate to see them make a mess of it. Same with Steven Erikson's Malazan books.

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...

Last night we watched Smilla's Sense of Snow....I'd read the book, in fact for our Reading Circle, and really loved it.  While I don't remember exact details, the film was somewhat like the book, at least the high points.  Some things seemed off though, I'll have to reread....... :D

The film was great though!

Last night we watched Smilla's Sense of Snow....I'd read the book, in fact for our Reading Circle, and really loved it.  While I don't remember exact details, the film was somewhat like the book, at least the high points.  Some things seemed off though, I'll have to reread....... :D

The film was great though!

I thought the whole book was off, so it sounds like it was a good adaptation. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as probably most of us have experienced, we read a book and we TOTALLY loved it. Suddenly, we hear they are going to make a movie about it. We wait months to see it, and then we go to the cinema and BOOM its a piece of shhhhhhh.

I've been victim of this many times and I (as, probably, every other reader in the planet) have developed the theory that the book is always better than the film. However, i think there are some rare cases were the film is so remarkably good, or does something, that makes it be close to the greatness of the book. Now, this cases are rare, and I want to know which movies do you think were real good (in comparison to the book)?

The ones i really liked were Youth in Revolt, Scott Pilgrim vs The world, It's kind of a funny story, The clockwork orange, The shining, The hitchhickers guide to the galaxy and Fight club, among others.

Well the first thing I want to say is, HOW COULD YOU! The movie adaptation was AWFUL! They changed Hichhikers Guide so much that I think they lost the point, the plot and the humor of the books (ok grumble over! :) )

However Scott Pilgrim was good although I didn't know it was a book :) a few others that were as good as or better than the books IMO are,

LOTR

The Hobbit

Stardust

Tin Tin (dunno if this counts :P)

But I do agree that most book adaptations can be rated from bad to worse lol!

Edited by Vimes

I think there have been some good film adaptations of books - The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Virtually all of the James Bond films are better than the books. 

Have to agree with Vimes though - HHGTTG was a poor film version! 

Welcome to the site, BTW!!

read Milan Kundera's "Unbearable lightness of being" and then watch the movie, a brilliant attempt imho.

Dr No / Goldfinger / From Russia with love / OHMSS are all very good movies and rather faithfull to the books of the writer Ian Fleming.

"The Thin man" the movie is actually a different beast but better than its original novel by Dashiel Hammet.

I quite liked The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy film, but not as an adaptation- just as a film.

And there are others...ummm.....Well I've never managed to read all of Lord of the Rings, but I really liked the films. The film of High Fidelity is good. I tend to think films are better when I see them first to be honest. Hated The Hobbit film, and I love the book. Trying to think what else, I know there's more. The Hunger Games films are as good as the books I think.

High fidelity the book and the movie are both actually quite good, I agree.

LOTR the movies are very impressive, while the book is brilliant. Mr. Jackson did complete the movies with material from other places, but written by Tolkien himself, the make the tale more complete. And at the same time he left a significent part of the first book out of the movies, where they perhaps meet the mst powerfull creature of whole of Middle-Earth.

High fidelity the book and the movie are both actually quite good, I agree.

LOTR the movies are very impressive, while the book is brilliant. Mr. Jackson did complete the movies with material from other places, but written by Tolkien himself, the make the tale more complete. And at the same time he left a significent part of the first book out of the movies, where they perhaps meet the mst powerfull creature of whole of Middle-Earth.

Yes I was looking forward to seeing Tom Bombadil, I was quiet disappointed that he wasn't in the movie but I do have to say that I kind of see why. They only have so much time to spend telling the story and there were more important things to explain and show. Sigh. :)

I think there have been some good film adaptations of books - The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Virtually all of the James Bond films are better than the books. 

Have to agree with Vimes though - HHGTTG was a poor film version! 

Welcome to the site, BTW!!

I totally forgot about the James Bond movies! I love those movies, I grew up drooling over the cars and the gadgets. :) the books were good to!