The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters

runner

I'm not sure if you class this book mystery or horror but it does appeal to me, has anyone read it and what did you think? It looks like a ghost story with lots of atmosphere... maybe i should have asked this question in horror... is there a current thread?

Edited by BookJumper

Think it could be classed as supernatural. I'm interested to see what peoples opinions are of this book it's in my TBR pile, from what I've heard it's meant to be very creepy.

I was flicking through today in waterstones in bristol and liked the way it read...creepy is a good word i think....I am also a great fan of "Most Haunted" (going to the live show in June :readingtwo::D) so i like to be scared!!

I was flicking through today in waterstones in bristol and liked the way it read...creepy is a good word i think....I am also a great fan of "Most Haunted" (going to the live show in June :readingtwo::D) so i like to be scared!!

Ooh brave, the adverts alone terrify me. :D

Think I will have to read it during the day.

I am about 3/4 of the way through this book at the moment. Have to say that I am really enjoying it, whilst it is a little slow to build I have found this adds to the creepiness. The strange happenings build slowly and really help raise the tensions. Have already had a few moments that have given me goose bumps. I would definitely recommend giving it a go.

Finished this book yesterday and my review can be found in my reading list blog. (Sorry no hyperlink as I do not have 10 posts yet.)

Gave the book 8/10 overall as I liked the slow build and felt it increased the tension really nicely that so when something supernatural did it happen it was all the more scary. As I said in previous post it did give me many goose-bump moments. However there is no big surprise or incident at the end and I feel the story peters out a little. It is certainly not as scary as many of the reviews on the inside of the book claim, but is a good read and one I would still recommend.

• 4 weeks later...

I picked this up from the Center for Fiction the other day.. not sure if I'll really give it a go or not though, mainly because I want to read The Suspicions of Mr Whicher first. I picked the Sarah Waters book up and thought it looked okay from the blurb, but just didn't feel too positive... I definitely don't want a slow build, so maybe it's not best for me right now. :D

Edited by bethany725

I agree, the build up adds to the creepiness. When something did happen it genuinely scared me. I love Sarah Waters :D This is my favourite of her books because it is different to the other two that I have read by her.

Let me know how you fare with it if you think about it.. Post back here with some thoughts once you're into it. I have it sitting on my nightstand and have been going back and forth just like you.

• 6 months later...

I have just finished this. I thought it was very atmospheric, but I'm not sure I would say it was creepy. I have read it fairly quckly because I was desperate to find out what happened. I found the ending quite a let down though. I know some people like ambiguous endings, but I prefer to have it laid out or at least quite pointed. I would still recommend it though.

• 10 months later...

THE LITTLE STRANGER, by Sarah Waters

Dr Faraday is a country GP. He is called to a patient in `Hundreds Hall`, a rambling English country mansion, falling into decay. So the story begins. An unnerving, but a very very entertaining insight into the lives of a once aristocratic family, determined to keep to their life style and principles. Despite the attention of a ghost. I read this novel over a year ago. And I can still enter that front door (that wont quite close properly) of Hundreds Hall, step into the dimly lit tiled hallway and look upwards to that great, curving staircase. I also feel that I have met up with each member of that family. Have been invited in, and have sat with them, on an evening during that bitterly cold winter, warming my hands in front of the small, coal fire.

Edited by Michelle
changed text size and merged with existing thread.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I really enjoyed this book. I don't read horror novels, but this is not a horror, think the advertising for it is very mis-leading.It's slightly creepy at most, and very atmospheric.I thought it was really contempory fiction with a slight supernatural twist, so it was perfect for me, as I don't do fright-fests!

• 1 month later...

Diane

I haven't read it ,but have heard it is more like a haunted-type story ? Nothing gory or scary, just a bit of a spooky book. I need to read it myself one of these days . I like books like that, but not horror type so much .

It's definitely not horror i would say it's more atmospheric than creepy but a very good read nonetheless. Hope you enjoy it Julie  :smile:

Thanks ! I'll post when I get to it . Not sure where it will be on my TBR ,bit it is at least in the pile now :)