Douglas Adams

scottishbookworm

I am a huge Douglas Adams fan! I have most, if not all of his books. Actually I recently went on a buying spree and picked up a few copies of signed hardcover editions on Ebay. I think I've read pretty much everything he's written. I was very happy to see the movie finally come to fruition last year and honestly they did a good job with it.

I read THHG2TG years back & loved it, but somehow I never got round to reading the rest of the series. I really should thouhg, as I loved it. I'm also a mega fan of the radio plays & the TV series. I was a bit miffed with the recent film though.

I am a huge Douglas Adams fan! I have most, if not all of his books. Actually I recently went on a buying spree and picked up a few copies of signed hardcover editions on Ebay. I think I've read pretty much everything he's written. I was very happy to see the movie finally come to fruition last year and honestly they did a good job with it.
If I were you treasure the signed books!

I read THHG2TG years back & loved it, but somehow I never got round to reading the rest of the series. I really should thouhg, as I loved it. I'm also a mega fan of the radio plays & the TV series. I was a bit miffed with the recent film though.

and me but then he did have a lot to do with the making so had to forgive it!

I've read all the Hitchhikers books, but many years ago, so they're vastly overdue a re-read. I did enjoy the Dirk Gently books too, but haven't been able to get into The Salmon of Doubt for some reason.

Salmon of Doubt is fragmented in its very nature. Its really for fanatics although the Dirk Gently extract is worth the purchase on its own. I have read Hitchhikers Guide (all four are superb, Mostly Harmless is pants). The whole Dirk Gently series which is enjoyable but hard to get into and The Deeper Meaning of Liff which is an amusing diversion but nothing more.

Hitchhikers Guide is a classic the rest of his stuff is a nice way to spend an afternoon but nothing more.

I've grown up with Douglas Adams. My dad actually recorded the radio series of H2G2 when it was first on, and it was played repeatedly in the car on long journeys!

In fact my dad and brother were members of the Fan Club for a very long time - it was imperative that we knew where our towels were!!!

I've read all the Hitch-hikers books a few times, and the Dirk Gently ones twice. I keep fancying a re-read of Hitch-hikers recently as well. Maybe I will get them on audio to listen in the car.

I loved the idea in the Dirk Gently books about following a random car when you are lost, with the logic that it will get you to wear you need to be, even if there somewhere is different to where you though - I have actually tried it, and I have had a pretty high success rate!

I read the 'Hitch-hikers' books a long time ago (age 13ish) and I remember really enjoying them - I'm a bit too young to remember the TV series though!

I recently read 'Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency' and found it entertaining and confusing - I think they're the type of books you cxan read over and over and notice new stuff and never make sense of it! Very enjoyable though! (I use too many exclamation marks don't I!!!!!!!!!)

• 3 years later...

H2G2 manifests itself differently across different mediums - the radio show, books, TV series, videogame etc. are all different in millions of little and not-so-little ways. However, I do not think the books themselves were abridged or modified once in print, no.

I read the first two books of the Hitchhiker series, but sadly was sidetracked and didn't finish it. I swear, I will finish that series before I die! I WANT TO KNOW THE QUESTION TO THE ULTIMATE ANSWER OF THE UNIVERSE.

ahem.

I have been a fan since the original radio series, have read most of the books but felt the tone changed and it seemed towards the end that he was just writing them to fulfill a contract. The Dirk Gentley books did seem a breath of fresh air, as though he was glad to be doing something else. I loved the TV series, and his Dr Who scripts, but don't get me started on the film, it didn't happen.

I have a bumper edition and I think it contains the first 4 books in one. What are the names of 5 and 6?

Also what are the names of the Dirk books?

I have got The Starship Titanic in the house but I haven't read it yet, is it any good?

I think I've asked enough questions for now!:friends0:

but don't get me started on the film, it didn't happen.
Agreed. The only redeeming features about it were the title credits by The Divine Comedy's Neil Hannon and the voice of Stephen Fry as the Guide - too bad that I had to be told about Stephen's voiceovering, as I had fallen asleep well before the first Guide entry.

I have a bumper edition and I think it contains the first 4 books in one. What are the names of 5 and 6?

# 5 is called Mostly Harmless

# 6 is called And Another Thing, and is actually not by Douglas at all - it's the official sequel by Eoin Colfer, of Artemis Fowl Fame

Also set in the H2G2 universe is the short story Young Zaphod Plays It Safe, which you may find in the collection of non-fiction The Salmon of Doubt or in the leatherbound Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide published by Gramercy (note: this is a bit difficult to find outside of the States, but is worth shopping around for... I have it and it's beautiful :D).

# 6 is called And Another Thing, and is actually not by Douglas at all - it's the official sequel by Eoin Colfer, of Artemis Fowl Fame

Wow, that sounds like it could be decent or really bad... I'll have to look into that.