Douglas Adams

scottishbookworm

Wow, that sounds like it could be decent or really bad... I'll have to look into that.
I haven't read it yet as I want to take the time to do a full re-read of books 1-5 to get the full effect, however it looks promising.

Eoin gave a talk and at HitchCon09 last year, you could tell he was as much of a fan as every dressing-gowned person there (why yes, I was wearing a dressing gown for the occasion :D) and the bits he read out made me giggle which surely is a good sign. Another good sign is, Douglas's widow and daughter have always said that they'd never allow a sequel yet when confronted with Eoin's name they declared that if anyone could do it properly, it was him.

I don't expect it to replicate the genius of Douglas because quite frankly, who can? So as long as it's respectful and amusing, I'll be happy.

Purdy....*drool*

Indeed it is purdy :D you know you want it!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything! :)

I absolutely love Douglas Adams. I remember reading the part about Vogon Poetry used as torture and I nearly spit my coffee out my nose. (not a nice image, sorry!)

I love Hitchhiker's! first saw the TV series when I was really young and watched it so many times, I remember meeting the cast ages ago and being star struck even though they are not famous at all.

Then I read all books which I also loved. Really want to re-read them though and get the complete radio series but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Would also like to get Salmon of Doubt and maybe the official sequel.

Has anyone read the Dirk Gentry books? They are on my wishlist.

PS. The Long, Dark Tea-Time of the Soul may be the best title for a novel ever.

• 3 months later...

I was starting to feel ashamed this summer since everyone around me seemed to know The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but I never managed to read it. So I bought the 5 books of the saga and read them in a month. The first two were amazing, that smart British humor is always so fresh. But as it progressed it was straying of the main genre. The fourth book was practically a romance and the fifth was something utterly unrecognizable as a continuation to the witty and random happenings in the silly universe. It was so bitter and heavy and the ending was damn awful. I read that the author way dying while he wrote it, so it's understandable, but still an abomination.

I'm getting "42" tattooed on my wrist soon.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

The HItchHikers Guide to The Galaxy series, by Douglas Adams, was great.

I love the radio version,adore the books;the TV version was okay for what

it was, on a limited budget. Hated the film,and gave up on the Eoin Colfe

one, as it was puerile gibberish. He may be a 'fan' of the originals, but he

can't write them like Douglas Adams could (In fact, no one could!)

The Dirk Gently books are superb, different to the HHGTTG series, but with

the same 'hand on the tiller'  as it were, you know you are in good hands!

Sadly missed, a giant of a man (physically) and intellectually too, for the type

of humour that his works engendered!

• 5 months later...

I don't expect it to replicate the genius of Douglas because quite frankly, who can? So as long as it's respectful and amusing, I'll be happy.

I read it, and I had the same reservations as you before I started. I was surprised that it read like the first three books of the 5-book "trilogy". It even made up for the anti-climatic "Salmon of doubt".