Favourite Words

poppy

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have brought the two threads together. Chesilbeach has an uncanny knack at both knowing and locating lost threads! she is a marvel!

Looking back I see that I had serendipity listed as a fave of mine too. Great word. :D

I like the word serendipity but have always been more fond of the meaning and the movie of the same name than the actual word. However I do love the sound of the related word - 'synchronicity'.

Recap of my favourite words from throughout the thread plus some new ones:

Rustle

Feilestram (Irish word)

Illuminate

Sublime

Asphalt

Melancholy

Defenestrate

and lastly..... tnetennba - which only fans of the I.T. Crowd will recognise :D

Hehe, that's pretty skill-full Chesilbeach! :lol:

and ooooh are we allowed to go for made up words? In that case I have to go for 'Bazinga' from Big Bang Theory :giggle:

I like most of the words people have put on here! I think susurrus is quite a nice word to say as well :)

I don't know if we can go for made up words but I did!

I also love the word/name Sirius, as in the Star (whose name derives from the Greek meaning 'glowing' or 'sorcher' according to wikipedia.) It's now a name but derives from a word, so I think it counts. I absolutely LOVE the word Sirius. Sirius Black in Harry Potter is also one of my favouite characters, not just because of his gorgeous name (and gorgeous other bits!) but it certainly helps!

My favourite word is chuckle, only because even as you say it and hear it it automatically puts a smile on your face. My favourite word to write is aluminium, I get carried away with the loops...

Feilestram (Irish word)

Asphalt

Defenestrate

What does feilestram mean?

How do you pronounce asphalt? I've heard it pronounced as-fault but over here we pronounce it ash-felt (well, I do). I just Googled it and it appears that the ash-felt/fault pronunciation may be more common in Commonwealth countries. It appears I'm in even more of a minority because it seems that everyone at least agrees on saying '-fault' except me. I've always said '-felt'. :blush: (That was fun! Thanks for helping me to pass the time of day at work, Noll!)

For some reason, defenestrate has always sounded like a dirty word to me. :smile2:

LOVE - what the world needs more, is LOVE sweet LOVE (and less hate).

It's the only thing that there's just too little of.

LOVE - what the world needs more, is LOVE sweet LOVE (and less hate).

Nothing beats this Muggle Not. :D

I am putting forth another word, although LOVE is definitely THE WORD!

My word is SMUDGE. How squidgy and grubbilicious a word is this? :D

• 1 month later...

I decided today that one of my favourite words is 'Autumnal' (inspired by the recent weather!)

The sound of it also reminds me of Mr Tumnus... I wonder if that has any meaning since technically he was the bridge between the Winter and the Summer the children bring in Narnia... or maybe my brain is getting carried away again :blush:

• 4 weeks later...

'Defenestration'- because it means 'to throw out a window',

Hi Nollaig, I knew this one. Specifically, it means to throw a Person out of a window. Historically, often a catholic priest! A friend told me about this one because he found it so funny (he is Irish and catholic)

I have a nice word from biology, it sounds rude but in fact it is not:

Invaginate it is part of the process of when cells divide and multiply in a life form, it means to form a sheet of cells that folds inwards on itself to create and enclose a space. I dunno it feels like a safe and cosy word to me.

Hi Nollaig, I knew this one. Specifically, it means to throw a Person out of a window. Historically, often a catholic priest! A friend told me about this one because he found it so funny (he is Irish and catholic)

I have a nice word from biology, it sounds rude but in fact it is not:

Invaginate it is part of the process of when cells divide and multiply in a life form, it means to form a sheet of cells that folds inwards on itself to create and enclose a space. I dunno it feels like a safe and cosy word to me.

HAHA! When did Catholic priests get thrown out windows I wonder? That's hilarious!

Invaginate does sound very rude doesn't it, which isn't entirely unrelated to the 'cosy' :giggle:

HAHA! When did Catholic priests get thrown out windows I wonder? That's hilarious!

Apparently that was an incident that started off the Thirty Years War in Europe in the 17th Century; Catholics and Protestants killing each other and vying for power and all that rubbish.

Actually Noll I just googled it it happened twice! You can read about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenestrations_of_Prague

They weren't priests though my mistake.

Edited by vodkafan

Apparently that was an incident that started off the Thirty Years War in Europe in the 17th Century; Catholics and Protestants killing each other and vying for power and all that rubbish.

Actually Noll I just googled it it happened twice! You can read about it here:

http://en.wikipedia....tions_of_Prague

They weren't priests though my mistake.

The wiki article says defenestration also refers to 'somethings' as well as 'someones'. That's hilarious though. I mean, it's terrible to kill anyone of course but in retrospect at least it was a classy way to do it! :giggle:

• 3 weeks later...

My favourite word has to be the great Scottish numpty!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it! Apparently in the survey the other year for Britain's favourite word it was Scotland's favourite - and well deserved!

Closely followed, I think, by dreich (so describes those gloomy grey days) and outwith (almost outside but just that little bit different and really should be in general use [well it is up here but!!!!!!!!])

My favourite word has to be the great Scottish numpty!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it! Apparently in the survey the other year for Britain's favourite word it was Scotland's favourite - and well deserved!

Closely followed, I think, by dreich (so describes those gloomy grey days) and outwith (almost outside but just that little bit different and really should be in general use [well it is up here but!!!!!!!!])

My husband's nickname for my son is Numpty ~ he even got him a mug with the word on! :lol: I won't mention my son's nickname for my husband! :wink:

I hadn't heard of dreich or outwith, but a big thumbs up for both.Great words that I will use!

• 3 weeks later...

As a non-native English speaker, I like the word "Asunder", not because of its meaning but for the way it sounds, I might not explain rationally why I like it.

The first time I found it was in Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, in my opinion one of the best and most prophetic books of modern times.

<<'Observe' said the Director triumphantly, 'observe'. Books and loud noises, flowers and electric shocks - already in the infant mind these couples were compromisingly linked; and after two hundred repetitions of the same or a similar lesson would be wedded indissolubly. What man has joined, nature is powerless to put asunder. >>