Favourite Words

poppy

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also love the word 'thistledown'. I know I have loads but I can't think of them now :lol:

One favourite is an Irish word, 'feilestram', which is the flower wild iris.

'Rustle' - it makes me think of leaves in autumn

'Illustrate/illuminate' - just coz they sound nice

'Defenestration'- because it means 'to throw out a window',

'Inexorable' - because it reminds me of something I read somewhere, about time's inexorable march onward or something.

I always find that using the moist, dank, dark crevice makes me laugh out loud, but i love it at work when people use the word linear to describe a ditch, instead of ditch, as a linear doesn't exist its a descriprion of the ditches shape..

someone once used the work 'spagettified' to describe a group of intercutting pits, not sure it exists as a word but it should

Oooh, so many pretty words. The one that springs to mind right now this instant is:

Prelapsarian: n, innocent. I found this while flipping through Foyle's Philavery in Foyle's (imagine that!) and thought it was terribly ingenious and posh, so I made sure I snuck it into my dissertation. It's the small pleasures...!

Parsemonious. Especially when speaking. :lol:

Fun to call someone parsemonious. Especially if they say thank you thinking it a complement and not wanting to ask what it means.

Prelapsarian: n, innocent. I found this while flipping through Foyle's Philavery in Foyle's (imagine that!) and thought it was terribly ingenious and posh, so I made sure I snuck it into my dissertation. It's the small pleasures...!

Likes it so much that he adds it to vocabulary for daily use.

Three I can think of ...

myriad - it's one of my measures of an author to see if they use it correctly

obsequious - loved it since I had to look it up when Jane Austen uses it to describe Mr Collins and it perfectly summed up his character in a single word

mellifluous - a word which sounds so wonderful on tongue it sounds just like its meaning

Melancholy is a favourite word of mine too. I also really appreciate the words doubt, auspicious and maudlin. Not for their meanings so much as their pleasing placement of letters.

For it's meaning I would have to say serendipity. I will also put forward the word love. Used well it can be a powerful and empowering word.

myriad - it's one of my measures of an author to see if they use it correctly

Mine too - I have been known to scream if they follow "myriad" with "of". Arrrrgghhh!

Just to add, I love the word Poppy!

It is a word that is pleasing to say, read and hear. It can be said in a comical manner, but has the additional gravity of being a word that leads onward to drug wars, ganglords and addictions, also to the deeper reference to European wars.

Alaphroiskiotoi.

Vorvolaka.

Stoechoia.

Yes, I like intellectual horror.

oh, if we are going to talk horror then I love the words Strigoi and Wallachian:D

and doesn't discombobulation sound wonderful:mrgreen: