TV Show Recommendations

BookJumper

What would you say are the best recent-ish TV series in the following categories, apart from the ones I'll mention to illustrate said categories?

Fantastic

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Being Human

Dead Like Me

Joan of Arcadia

Supernatural

Heroes

Carnivale

Comedy

House M.D.

Ugly Betty

Glee

Gilmore Girls

I look forward to your suggestions :D!

Edited by BookJumper

For comedy, definitely Gilmore Girls, and I've always been very fond of Scrubs and That 70s Show. All three are cancelled now, but I think they're recent enough.

Have you ever seen a show called V? It's currently being heavily advertised here but it hasn't started yet. It might fit your fantastic category as I believe it's about aliens that come to Earth under the guise of being peaceful, but they're really not (peaceful, that is). I have no idea whether it will be any good. Or how about Flash Forward? That held my interest for a short while, but then I just couldn't be bothered (eta: I suppose that's not much of a recommendation :D).

Oh, I know all about Gilmore Girls *toodles off to edit OP*, back in Liverpool me and the housemates used to have big marathons thereof :D!

I'll watch Scrubs or That 70's Show if I catch re-reruns on the telly, but I'm not enough of a fan to want to own them, I don't think :DFlashforward I'm deliberately avoiding as I'm meaning to read the book and apparently the series is quite unfaithful, so I rather want to read the book first.

V sounds a bit Mars Attack-ish which is of course a good thing; I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Dead Like Me is one of my favorite shows! Unfortunately, it got cancelled after the 2nd season but don't let that make you think it isn't worth a watch. Heroes is also another fav, though the recent season has been a bit disappointing, imo.

I can see you really getting into Glee and Gilmore Girls. They are both fun and uplifting shows to watch. The humor on Gilmore Girls is so unique, it can't be compared with anything else out there.

I came here to recommend Joan Of Arcadia, but I see there's no need. *Toddles on*

I've been saying 'toodles' all this time:lurker: I'm not exactly sure why, seeing as to 'toddle' is quite clearly the root for the rather common word 'toddler' *throws all academic paraphernalia in the Thames* I am unworthy!

Dead Like Me is one of my favorite shows! Unfortunately, it got cancelled after the 2nd season but don't let that make you think it isn't worth a watch
It seems like a lot of good things get cancelled after the 2nd season - Joan of Arcadia was :D, and apparently so was the awesome-looking Carnivale. What the...?!

Dead Like Me has a very dark humour, but I find it really funny. I also loved Carnivale and wished they'd done more than 2 seasons of them both!

Castle is crime drama with a dash of humour and is one of my favourite shows at the moment.

If you like very clever crime/psychological stuff, then The Mentalist and Lie To Me are both excellent, as is Criminal Minds.

The updated version of V is incredibly dull. I watched the first 4 episodes and was bored out of my skull. I watched the 4 episodes to give it a fair chance, but then they took a break and I knew I wouldn't be bothered about it when it returned. I suspect it will get cancelled pretty soon. If you like that kind of thing, you'd be better off watching the original cult classic show of the same name - the effects are dated now, but it's still a great show!

If you enjoyed Battlestar Galactica, then the new spin-off, Caprica, may be right up your street. I watched the pilot last year and it looked like it could be something quite special. The first season (complete with the pilot) is about to start airing on SyFy, so if you have the means of getting hold of it...

One of my favourite sci-fi shows was Farscape. It ran for 4 seasons and then finished with a mini-series, Farscape: Peacekeeper Wars.

Another one I loved was Firefly, but it got cancelled during its first season, although you can get the full season on DVD and it was followed by the film Serenity, which was pretty great. Poor Nathan Fillion seems to have a jinx when it comes to being cancelled, as Castle is the only one that has gone past the first season - LOL!

Edited by Kell

For comedy I am forced to say The Office, US version. That show has me in giggles everytime, and I'm not hating the romantic developments in the series either.

I as also going to say The American Office :) It's both fabulous and comedy.

Arrested Development is a show which has me laughing just as much as The Office, Flight of the Conchords (series 1) is great too. Ooooh Glee!

As for fabulous, I think The Tudors is up there. I've got two episodes of series 3 left to watch....they've been brilliant. A show that's on at the moment The Bible: A History is also pretty good. As a person who hasn't really made her mind up on the whole debate, it's good to see all sides of the arguments examined. It's also interesting if you're into ancient history.

True Blood is probably my favourite show that's running at the moment though. :lol:

The Inbetweeners made me laugh so hard I nearly fell of the sofa the last time I watched it (I've rewatched the DVD's 3 times now.)

The True Blood series is really good, and The Vampire Diaries are coming on the TV soon and they might be worth a watch.

I know its on your list but have to say Being Human, its brilliant i love the interplay between the characters and George is such a funny nerd..as for Mitchell Vapire cool and sexy!!! yummy makes fingerless look very sexy!

I'd add Life of Mars to the list of "fantastic" drama series, the first series was one of the best pieces of television for years.

It's not recent, but if you can track down a copy I highly recommend the Channel Four series Ultraviolet as well. A vampire story that never uses the "V" word that is streets ahead of the emo tosh being pumped out now.

On the comedy front I can recommend The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, the short lived but quirky The Class and top of the pile Futurama!

I second the rec of Big Bang Theory - it's hilarious! By far my fave show. The Mentalist is also very good, as is The Office and Flight of the Conchords. If you can see any reruns or rent DVDs, I also absolutely love Arrested Development and Weeds, which are both great comedies IMO. Hope you find something you like, BJ!