Flavia de Luce series by Alan Bradley

Readwine

Thanks for reviving this thread!  I too am a huge fan of Alan Bradley and Miss Flavia :D  I've read all of them in the series and am looking forward to many more!

Muggle, I have an extra paper back copy of Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie that I'd be happy to mail to you if you'd like it.  I'm attempting to collect them all in hard cover so I have an extra of that title.

Thanks for reviving this thread!  I too am a huge fan of Alan Bradley and Miss Flavia :D  I've read all of them in the series and am looking forward to many more!

Muggle, I have an extra paper back copy of Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie that I'd be happy to mail to you if you'd like it.  I'm attempting to collect them all in hard cover so I have an extra of that title.

Thanks, that is a nice gesture but I am next in line for the kindle download from the library. I expect it probably tomorrow.

I am now 72% into Red Herring With No Mustard. :)

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

Alan Bradley

Holds position:

You are next in line for this title

post-3652-0-56953500-1435271179.jpg

Edited by muggle not

I finished reading Red Herring Without Mustard. It was one of the best I have read so far by Alan Bradley. The library has notified me that The Sweetness At The Bottom of The Pie is ready for me to download but I have started reading The Girl On The Train so will put off the download of Sweetness for 3 days (As allowed by library). :)

Curious, how many of the Flavia de Luce books have most of you read.

A snippet from Alan Bradley:

Can you tell us a bit more about the TV series that will be based on the books?

The TV series is still in the formative stages. It is being produced by Sam Mendes’ (of American Beauty and Skyfall fame) Neal Street Productions. I understand that each episode will cover one of the Flavia books. The TV scripts are being written by Harriet Warner, who has written several episodes of Call the Midwife, one of the most successful series in BBC history. It’s incredibly exciting to be part of all this; so very different from tinkering in a sweltering studio with the guts of a reluctant television camera!

Does everything you know about Flavia actually make it into a book, or are there more secrets she has that only you know?

Flavia is always taking me by surprise. I quite often don’t know what she’s going to do until she does it, and I’m constantly aware that she does things that would never, ever, have occurred to me. I have also begun to suspect that she keeps things from me: things that are too much, perhaps, for my delicate ears.

Edited by muggle not

• 1 month later...

I was just checking the release date for the edition of As Chimney Sweeper's Come to Dust that I've been waiting for, and I happened to notice that Alan Bradley has a new book coming out in April 2016. It's called Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd (a line from Shakespeare, according to Google). It doesn't specifically mention that it's a Flavia de Luce book, but I found it mentioned as such on a forum mentioning book releases for next year. :)

Finished The Sweetness onto The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag. Loving Flavia, what a character! .... and love Alan Bradley's sense of humour. :D

Glad that you enjoy Alan Bradley's writing. :)

Every book in the series has been great. I am currently reading "As The Chimney Sweeper Comes to Dust" (book 7) and it just may be the best of all but I am only about 25% into the book at this point. Book 7 takes place in Canada and so far doesn't have all the characters in the book that were in the previous six books. I find it hard to put the book down as it keeps my interest. I will find it difficult waiting for his next book to come out.

Edited by muggle not

Lovely cover, Kylie!  I'm one shy of having all of the books in hard cover, but they are the US versions.

Now we just have to wait for April..:o

Again, thanks a bundle for the recommendation. I laughed and laughed in "As The Chimney Sweeper Comes to Dust". There is one part where they are playing music like Shrimp Boats Are A Comin', Mocking Bird Hill, On Top of Old Smokey, and Aba Daba Honeymoon. Songs that most if not all on the forum have never heard but I remember well. :)

Edited by muggle not

• 1 year later...

the books are moderately entertaining, but i find Flavia a bit hard to swallow. the Little Girl Who is Cleverer Than All the Grownups is a popular character - quite rightly - in children's fiction, but. I find her presence in an adult novel rather unconvincing. she doesn't talk or act in any way that is childlike.