Good place for affordable bookplates?

BookJumper

... possibly the old-fashioned paste-in kind as opposed to the modern sticker-y ones? I've Googled and the work of engravers seems to be beyond my means and/or located in the States (as usual)... ideas?

I am slowly building up a library of collector's and/or signed first editions and I would quite like to put my mark in them...

Waterstone's only sell sticky ones - I checked today while in Piccadilly; while Ebay only seem to sell either actual antique ones (which I wouldn't want to put glue on) or the actual carved blocks for printing of one's own bookplates (which could get messy).

Waterstone's only sell sticky ones - I checked today while in Piccadilly; while Ebay only seem to sell either actual antique ones (which I wouldn't want to put glue on) or the actual carved blocks for printing of one's own bookplates (which could get messy).

I will put my thinking cap on :)

... why not? I don't collect books because of how much they might be worth one day, I'd never sell them so decreasing their monetary value doesn't faze me. I'm concerned about doing it properly with no glue showing etc. though, so I'll have to find something to practice on.

I have to admit that I was a little surprised to see you asking about book plates, Giulia. I had gotten the impression that you wanted your books in pristine condition, ie, never marked in any way. :) Still, I can understand the appeal. They do look lovely. I hope you can find the plates you're looking for.

I think I've said this before, but you're going to have such as awesome library one day. :welcome:

I do like my books unmarked Kylie, but in the sense that I don't want them damaged by aimless scribbles / imprinted dust etc. I would however love to find a vintage book inscribed from person A to person B, or embellished with a bookplate or even several successive bookplates - those are the signs that a book's been truly loved, not played footie with :welcome:.

Edited by BookJumper

I never get nice inscriptions in my secondhand books. :welcome: I only ever get a person's name (never written neatly) or a great big horrible stamp from a used bookstore. Give me bookplates over that any day!

Me neither :welcome: that's one of the reasons nowadays I hardly ever buy secondhand books - hastily jotted down names / remainder marks aren't marks of history, they're just unsightly. That's why I would never write in a book but I would affix a bookplate in it (with my name already printed; if I was going to write it by hand I'd just mess it up and spoil the whole effect).

• 1 month later...

Not sure if its something you will consider but What I have done is had a rubber stamp made with a logo I have made and once I have read a book it gets stamped, you can have them custom made from people on ebay for about

Thanks for your suggestion Beef, but I think I'd rather glue bookplates in than use ink straight on endpages!

Hmmm, there's collections of digitalised bookplates here and here, d'you reckon a printing shop would be able to turn them into actual bookplates for me?

Gosh, bookplates are so beautiful aren't they? You're really getting me interested in them, Giulia. Thank you :lol:

I still wouldn't like to put them in my own books (especially because I mostly have paperbacks, which aren't exactly special) but I would love to have a huge blow-up of one of these to hang in my library. Only problem is, what with all the bookcases, I only have space for one picture, and that's my replica circus poster that inspired John's music lyrics. I'm sure I could find room elsewhere in the house. Ooh, I'm getting lots of inspiration now...:D

Oh, I went a bit off track. In answer to your question, I'm not really sure, but you could certainly try asking a printer. There must be someone around who could do them for you.