Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

AbielleRose

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Melanie was the best <3 Such a kind, loving heart, always thinking good about other people.

One thing I liked about Scarlett was that in the end she really loved Melanie and a part of her died with her.

Edit: I just wanted to note that the novel also mentions Susan B. Anthony who was a prominent American civil rights leader and was particularly keen to promote women's rights.

Edited by frankie

I finished today. In the end, even though I didn't like Scarlet I wanted things to turn out right for her, is that odd?

I suppose part of it was that all the way through part of what annoyed me is that she was so twisted up in Ashley that she didn't realise that she didn't actually love him, but did love Rhett, and in a way when she realised it made me like her more- despite everything,and I guess I kind of wanted her insight to be rewarded when she had been so dilussioned about herself, it was kind of a turning point for her.

When looking for a synopsis for my review I came across Rhett Butler's People, which is the story from Rhett's perspective, could be a good read, has anyone read it?

Lucybird I don't think it's odd at all, I also wanted everything to turn out alright for her eventhough I didn't like her.

She'd gone through so many hardships and she had a few real epiphanies in the end that I wanted to see her happy in the end. But you never know, it did say in the end that she would try and fight back Rhett's love for her :) I liked that, it showed that she never really gave up on that either. And of course I wanted Rhett to be happy too, with Scarlett.

I think I noticed the same Rhett book you mentioned, or then it was another book about him, I haven't read any but I am intrigued!

Lucybird I don't think it's odd at all, I also wanted everything to turn out alright for her eventhough I didn't like her.

She'd gone through so many hardships and she had a few real epiphanies in the end that I wanted to see her happy in the end. But you never know, it did say in the end that she would try and fight back Rhett's love for her :lol: I liked that, it showed that she never really gave up on that either. And of course I wanted Rhett to be happy too, with Scarlett.

I liked that too, like there is still a chance. Maybe for once her 'feminine charms' will work on Rhett, or maybe she will learn a new way.

• 1 month later...

I finished it last night, and although I struggled at some parts, it was worth its time. Such a wonderful, tragic story about love and loss and all the pain caused by war.

I have to say, I barely knew anything about the American Civil War before I read this and I'm always interested in society of other times, so it worked as a great historical epic too.

My favorite characters:

Rhett: I liked him from the first minute, because he was unconventional, funny and enjoyed annoying the others. It was so sad when he became a wreck with all the things that happened.

Melanie: Not so much at the beginning, but she turns out so kind, unselfish, supportive and strong-hearted that well, how can you not like her?

Will: We didn't see much of him, but I really liked him because he was so supportive and good-hearted and there was a certain sense of calmness about him, if you understand what I mean.

Too bad that he married Suellen instead of Careen.

Mammy: Well, what can I say about her? She was something else, wasn't she?:)

About Scarlett. I admired her strength and determination, but overall she comes off as an unlikable character. She's selfish, often foolish

(it took her 14 years to realize that she didn't love Ashley for God's sake!)

, she tortures the people who love her and has wrong priorities in her life, and of course she's ruined in the end by these things.

She makes the one person who loved her for what she really was grow tired of waiting and stop loving her, despite the power of his love.

I found interesting the way Mitchell builds the story. All the characters' actions are like pieces of puzzle that unite in the end.

The realization of Melanie's support actually brought tears to my eyes. Rhett's explanation was very intense too.

And some last thoughts:

I think Ellen was only half happy in her life. Scarlett always saw her as a saintly figure, but I think that this was mostly due to the fact that half her life was drained out of her when Phillipe died, after all she called for him in her deathbed.

I don't see how Scarlett and Rhett could ever get back together. His love has worn out, and I find it very unlikely that it could ever rebuild. Simply put, I find the chances of them getting back together the same I have of becoming an astronaut.:D

I didn't really like the film. This probably sounds weird, but the melodramatism of it put me off. The only truly good thing about it is that it made me appreciate Mammy (thanks to Hattie McDaniel, who really stole every scene she was in).

Good comments :motz: I agree with a lot of what you said, but I would like to think that

Rhett and Scalett could have made it work at a later date. Maybe it's just the romantic in me :lol:

It's a shame that you didn't like the movie very much. I loved it and thought it was a very good adaptation of the book.

• 3 months later...

I was surprised that I actually did enjoy this book, even though the length annoyed me a bit. I posted my thoughts in my "Pixie's Perusals Reviewed" thread.

Definitely a keeper and I will probably read it again some day. :D

I love the film and have seen it many times, so I'm totally picturing Vivien Leigh as Scarlett - LOL!

Hollywood certainly tested enough actresses for the role! And you are absolutely right, Leigh was the only real Scarlett.

Have you ever seen any of the screen tests? I have. :rolleyes:

I've just started reading this and at only 4 chapters in, I'm already enjoying it. :)

I hope you continue to enjoy it, Kell!

I so want to see the movie now. I am very tempted to go out and rent it this moment, but I need to save my pennies. :(

Does your library have DVDs? I picked up a copy today from mine and I can’t wait to watch it!

Does your library have DVDs? I picked up a copy today from mine and I can’t wait to watch it!

I never thought of that! I must go check it out. Thanks for the tip, bookworm. :)

Just wanted to update - I'm about 10 chapters in and LOVING this book! Scarlet is currently staying in Atlanta with Melly and Aunt Pittypat, and has just run into the irrascible Captain Butler again...

Oh, on a slightly unrelated but funny note - Xan keeps picking up the book (which has Rhett and Scarlett in the classic pose - Scarlett in Rhett's arms, tipped back) and pointing to the picture,saying, "Mummy and Daddy!" I guess he reckons we're as passionate as them - LOL!

Aw, that's the sweetest thing Kell! smile2.gif

I agree with all the comments about Vivien Leigh. She was absolutely perfect for the part of Scarlet. I can't imagine how anyone else could ever fill that role.