Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

AbielleRose

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kylie, I can't read your last post because have yet to read Vanity Fair, but this just came to my mind: Didn't Melanie

say to Ashley that she thinks Thackeray is not at good as Dickens, he isn't such a gentleman as Dickens is? I wonder if she meant William Makepeace Thackeray :D

(Makepeace, what a cool name :D) Quick off-post: Did you like Vanity Fair? I've just bought it.

Now which of you nice ladies is going to convince a guy to read this?

:D

Me! Oh wait, you said a nice lady...:D

Really, I don't think Gone with the Wind is so much of a girl's book. The main character is female, but men and their struggles also feature prominently. Hmm, I'm sure others will come up with better arguments. I do hope you'll decide to read it!

Quick off-post: Did you like Vanity Fair? I've just bought it.

Oh, I forgot about that! And yes, she did mean that Thackeray. I liked Vanity Fair very much; I gave it a 9/10 and wrote in my little review: 'It won't be on my list of favourite books, maybe because it was a little long-winded at times, but I did get very much absorbed in the book and the fates of the characters.' Not sure if that helps.

Vinay, I don't think there's much for men, either, I'm sorry:( There's too much of the feminine gossip, costumes and descriptions. But you can always go ahead and give it a go :D

Oh, I forgot about that! And yes, she did mean that Thackeray. I liked Vanity Fair very much; I gave it a 9/10 and wrote in my little review: 'It won't be on my list of favourite books, maybe because it was a little long-winded at times, but I did get very much absorbed in the book and the fates of the characters.' Not sure if that helps.

That helps indeed, glad you liked it! The copy I bought was so beautiful and approachable I had to get it. And the blurb was convincing too :D

My GwtW reading has ground to a halt, I'm really struggling for some reason :lol: I'm hoping that I'll get back into it over the weekend so keep your fingers crossed!

That sounds bad, but hopefully it's only temporary :ditto: I was just reading your reading blog and you'd done a couple of reviews and I was thinking has she already finished GwtW and I just haven't noticed it. How much more do you have to read?

Have finally stepped unto this thread. I'm almost at page 400 (

they're heading back to Tara, Rhett is gone and they are about 15 miles away

), which is less than halfway through but enjoying it. Took me a while to get properly into, while not being to the point that I considered giving up, it started to get good when

Scarlet proclaimed her 'love' for Ashley

but really didn't get going for me until she got to Atlanta.

So far I don't really like Scarlet, as a person, she's selfish, and big headed, sort of thinks she's centre of the universe and everyone should love her, and even does despite evidence to the contrary, but she's a good character to read. I think Rhett it my favourite character. I like how he doesn't really care about conventions or what people think of him, but I do think he's a good guy under it all. I love how he can totally disarm Scarlet and how she will go from loving him one minute and saying she always will for something or other then hate him the next because of some comment he's made.

My GwtW reading has ground to a halt, I'm really struggling for some reason :lol: I'm hoping that I'll get back into it over the weekend so keep your fingers crossed!

Hope the mojo comes back soon :ditto: If it helps, I'm far behind and you are still ahead of me :lol: Just think of that when you need some encouragement.

So far I don't really like Scarlet, as a person, she's selfish, and big headed, sort of thinks she's centre of the universe and everyone should love her, and even does despite evidence to the contrary, but she's a good character to read. I think Rhett it my favourite character. I like how he doesn't really care about conventions or what people think of him, but I do think he's a good guy under it all. I love how he can totally disarm Scarlet and how she will go from loving him one minute and saying she always will for something or other then hate him the next because of some comment he's made.

I agree with everything you're saying, and I'm glad that there's someone else besides me who doesn't like Scarlett! She definitely thinks she's the centre of the universe and she never considers anything from another person's point-of-view.

I'm on page 520 or so and I just cannot believe that

Scarlett lied to Frank Kennedy about Suellen marrying someone else, and made Frank marry herself instead. What a cunniving bitch. How on earth does she dare put her own needs infront of everyone elses? Frank and Suellen love each other but she had to take that away just to keep Tara going. She so awfully stubborn she doesn't stop to consider what that will do to everyone else, and what everyone else would like to be done.

She's a real martyr in my opinion, as well. She despises the others in secret and wonders how they can be so stupid and superficial when she has to do this and that in order to survive and take care of the others. She doesn't stop to contemplate that if she would talk about the problems they're having, the others could take part in rescuing Tara. :ditto:

And I will never ever forgive her for the way she always treats Wade.

I heart Rhett Butler! I'm on page 692 and

Frank and Ashley have gone to the Ku Klux Clan meeting, only the yankees are onto them and now Rhett Butler has saved the day by bringing Ashley and Hugh Elsing to the Wilkes house, all blissfully "drunk" :) And to hear about the party they had at Belle Watling's, oh boy :roll:

This is one wonderful and thrilling read, my heart was beating so fast when I was reading the last couple of pages, I was so nervous!

Yes, I loved that part too! They did it so well :)

I'm so thrilled that you're enjoying it as much as I did. :roll:

Oh, and re your earlier post, I can't believe Scarlett did that either. :) There's another comment I want to make about that, but I'm not sure that you've quite reached that point yet (you're probably within pages of it though!)

I read 250 pages of GwtW today and I've just finished it! I feel like I've just run a marathon, but with my eyes. It's quite weird to see that I'm actually in Finland, and it's 2010. I even felt weird writing that number!

All I can say is wow wow wow! I wish Margaret Mitchell had written a sequel!

Yep Lisa-Marie, I bought it on Tuesday, I just happened to find it :) But I'm not expecting much from it though, it's not rated very high on goodreads and it's not the 'real deal'. I'll read it of course but I wish Mitchell had written it herself :roll:

I read 250 pages of GwtW today and I've just finished it! I feel like I've just run a marathon, but with my eyes. It's quite weird to see that I'm actually in Finland, and it's 2010. I even felt weird writing that number!

Wow, that is great you've finished it! Congrats, frankie :roll:

Am about 600 pages in now and Scarlet is at the wedding in Atlanta.

I was just beginning to think about liking her then she lied to Frank about Suellen and I just wanted to slap her. She never thinks anything of anyone else, I'm sure Suellen cares about her family enough to help, and Scarlet just has no faith in her. Even when she is thinking about Tara she's so single minded, and even selfish.

I'm rushing through Great Expectations so I can spend some non-guilty time reading GWTW. I'm only at about page 100 but I'm doing it!

As an aside, though Mitchell didnt write the sequel, I have to give it an 8 out of 10. Its a really good read and very engrossing. I'm going to re-read it when I've finished this tomb:mrgreen:

It's such an absorbing book, isn't it? I still have the second half of the movie to watch. Are you planning on seeing it? It's quite a faithful adaptation and Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable are wonderful.

Regarding Frank,

I was disappointed that he never found out the truth. :roll:

Edited by Kylie

It's such an absorbing book, isn't it? I still have the second half of the movie to watch. Are you planning on seeing it? It's quite a faithful adaptation and Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable are wonderful.

Regarding Frank,

I was disappointed that he never found out the truth. :lol:

I have to watch the movie! I thought I had it on my digibox and when I noticed the DVD in a store for only 5e, I thought I'll save me some money by not buying it. When I got home and checked out the digibox, of course I didn't have the movie :D I'm going to get it somewhere, I'm so eager to watch it!

Regarding your Frank-spoiler,

I'm happy that he never found out, it would have destroyed him to know it for sure, so far he only suspected it. Also, I'm so glad that at the last second Scarlett realised that confessing to Melanie would be so selfish and only make her own life a bit easier, whereas it would kill Melanie. For once she did a selfless deed even though it would gnaw at her for the rest of her life.

Katrina, so great to hear that you enjoyed the sequel, it gives me hope that it's not a total bummer :(