What is this book?

Hi everyone - hope you can help with something I am stuck with.

A few years ago, a friend told me about a book he was reading that sounded great, but he's moved away and I don't have any contact details for him. I've tried googling all kinds of searches based on the things I remember about it, but no luck, so hoping someone here may have an idea.

Ok, so here's what I remember about this book:

* It's v long and challenging

* It's set in the 60's or 70's when a journalist and his wife move out from the city to a rural community in America to write a novel

* When they get there, they buy a perfect white picket house

* When the man tries to do some DIY, he measures the bedroom from the outside, and then from the inside, but the inside is bigger than the out

* At some point he finds a black hole in the mysterious room, which he investigates and finds himself in an pitch black cavernous chamber underground

* He finds a half finished novel, which I think was similar to his, but is so twisted, it's driven the writer crazy, and is incomplete

* He gets lost in the chamber, which leads onto another chamber infinitely

* There are a lot of references to classic literature, e.g. white rabbit from Alice in Wonderland

My memory is awful, so it's a wonder I've remembered that, but shows how much I want to read this, I suppose! Anyway, if anyone has any clue, I'd be really appreciative.

Thanks

Mark

Might be the 'House of Leaves' by Mark Z. Danielewski. This is a long shot, but some of the details tie up with the OP's recollections. I have seen copies and it is very long and looks a challenge to read, due to the way its constructed.

I've just looked this up, and it looks like something I may just enjoy.. I'm a bit concerned about it being long and challenging, but maybe if I take my time? In fact, we may have a previous thread of the book.. I'll take a look...

http://bookclubforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8359 :)