Amy Tan

Anika

"The Opposite of Fate" by Amy Tan (2003)

This is another serendipitous find for me. Local discount store had a pile of new books in the entrance area, and of course I could never walk past books anywhere so had a quick browse and found this. (Pristine condition with perfect dustjacket: $1.oo)

I hadn't read any of Amy Tan's fiction because I rarely read current fiction of any kind, but when I saw this was her 'musings on my life' I was intrigued. She writes about her early history and culture, of course, but also about places she's lived (one home in San Francisco was haunted!) her influences in life, writing and about health issues.

I found I really enjoyed her style very much; clear entertaining prose, humorous and intuitive, lively descriptive skills--and it's convinced me to start reading her fiction books. Since fiction is very often autobiographical I'm sure I would enjoy them--she's a warm, interesting person that I'd like to know more about.

[from inside cover]:

Born into a family who believed in fate, Amy Tan has always looked for alternative ways to make sense of the world. And now, in The Opposite of Fate, her first book of nonfiction, she shares her thoughts on how she escaped the expectations and curses of her past, and created her own destiny.

Amy Tan tells of her family, of the ghosts that inhabit her computer, of specters of illness, ski trips, the pliability of memory, rock and roll, and the twinned mysteries of faith and fate. Whether she is remembering arguments with her mother in suburban California, recounting trips to an outdoor market in Shanghai, or describing her love-hate relationship with the CliffNotes edition of her first book, The Joy Luck Club, her recollections offer an intimate glimpse of a bestselling writer whose own life story is as magical and hopeful as her fiction.

ISBN: 0-399-15074-9

Has anyone else read this book?

• 2 years later...

I'm currently reading this for the Rory Gilmore reading challenge, and I'm absolutely loving it so far. I've never read any of Tan's novels or books before, and I didn't really know what to expect.

So far I've enjoyed the story of the coincidences the most. The number 383, for instance. And the dreams Amy had of her friend Pete.

What drove me mad was how Tan referred to James Joyce, Joseph Conrad and William Shakespeare as Jim Joyce, Joe Conrad, Bill Shakespeare. Was that a joke I didn't get for some reason?

(Finding it difficult to decide what to put and what not to put in spoiler tags. It's not like the things I talked about are major spoilers, but then again, maybe some people would disagree.)

I'm currently reading this for the Rory Gilmore reading challenge, and I'm absolutely loving it so far. I've never read any of Tan's novels or books before, and I didn't really know what to expect.

I was in exactly the same position before I started it. I've said it elsewhere, but I've now added all her novels to my wishlist as I'm so pleased with how much I'm enjoying this book.

So far I've enjoyed the story of the coincidences the most. The number 383, for instance. And the dreams Amy had of her friend Pete.

Yes! I love the way that she never isolates the reader by being judgemental about her (or the readers) beliefs.

What drove me mad was how Tan referred to James Joyce, Joseph Conrad and William Shakespeare as Jim Joyce, Joe Conrad, Bill Shakespeare. Was that a joke I didn't get for some reason?

I think it's a way of trying to humanise them more instead of idolising them as gods of literature, sort of a way to believe that she is within reach of their sphere as writers. Does that make sense?

(Finding it difficult to decide what to put and what not to put in spoiler tags. It's not like the things I talked about are major spoilers, but then again, maybe some people would disagree.)

Don't worry, I don't think you've given away anything there that would need to be spoiler tagged. :)

I was in exactly the same position before I started it. I've said it elsewhere, but I've now added all her novels to my wishlist as I'm so pleased with how much I'm enjoying this book.

:D I've also added The Kitchen God's Wife to my wishlist as well as The Bonesetter's Daughter. I haven't dared add all of the books, but if those are any good which I think will be the case, I'll have to read them all!

I'm not sure if we've had such a successful Rory read before. Well except for Gone with the Wind, perhaps.

Yes! I love the way that she never isolates the reader by being judgemental about her (or the readers) beliefs.

Well said! You should remember that when the time comes to write your review :)

I think it's a way of trying to humanise them more instead of idolising them as gods of literature, sort of a way to believe that she is within reach of their sphere as writers. Does that make sense?

It does make sense (and that would be the only acceptable reason, in my books), but for me, at least, that failed. I guess it stems from one of my pet peeves regarding online newspapers/magazines. The way they give nicknames for celebs and use them shamelessly. That would be tolerable with gossipy magazines, but when one of the Finnish newspapers started doing this, I blew a fuse. (Okay it's definitely not a serious newspaper, it's one of those that features serious news as well as some lighter ones, but still!)

So for me it just read like Tan was being overly ... familiar? Matey? Bearing in mind that I'm pretty sure she doesn't know any of the men personally. Considering they are all dead.

But that's just how I read it. I love it how we think so differently about things :D

Don't worry, I don't think you've given away anything there that would need to be spoiler tagged. :)

Thanks :) Which reminds me of another thing I loved reading last night: 'Amy Tan has sec. appeal!' :lol: So funny!

I have to confess there are some stories which don't hold my interest as much as the others. The part where Tan talks about making the movie The Joy Luck Club was one of them. I think that's due to me not having read the book and me not being all that interested in movies to begin with.

I'm loving this book! There's so much to talk about! I'm sooo happy to be reading this simultaneously with other people :smile2:

I finished the book this morning, and I've posted this review over in my reading blog, but just wanted to add it here as well.

I received this as a present after requesting it because it was on the Rory Gilmore Challenge book list, but as with a lot of my other recent reads, it's been languishing on my bookshelf for a while now. When I first asked for it, I thought it was a novel, so when I actually looked at the notes on the back and realised it was non-fiction, I was a bit put off. Why would I want to read a memoir of an author I'd never read any of their novels? It was only when frankie suggested we made it a group read for the Rory club that I was convinced to start it, but it's been such a joy to read. I loved the variety of the various pieces, from what the biographical remembrances to the reasons why she started to write, to what she loves to read.

My favourite piece of all is entitled Required reading and other dangerous subjects. Since her book The Joy Luck Club has been added to the educational curriculum under the heading of Required Reading or Multicultural Literature, she often encounters students who are/have written essays, papers or their thesis on her and her books. She talks about the variety of inferences and suppositions people have made about her work, and the analysis performed where the writer has found a particular symbolism or association with, for example, the number four. This is something I've always struggled with as a reader as opposed to a literary academic. I've often heard people talking about themes and symbols within text, which I've never noticed. I'm a reader who loves the story and the characters and wants to be entertained, so in depth analysis of books has always eluded me. It was wonderful to read the writers perspective on reading what other people have thought about her novel, and it made me feel less unworthy as a reader not to have noticed these themes and symbols in books before.

In fact, this lack of pretension and her honesty about what and how she has written and lived is one of the joys of reading this book. Throughout the essays, Tan describes coincidences and experiences that she has had which can be interpreted in a variety of ways depending on your views and beliefs, so you might consider some of them being blessed by a higher deity, or for another incident, it could be you believe in ghosts, or you could just be a proponent of coincidence. Never once does Tan make a judgement or a conclusion on who is "right" about what has occurred, she simply explains what has happened and lets the reader make up their own mind about what they believe in themselves. It makes for a very inclusive experience as the reader never feels isolated from the Tan and her beliefs.

Her style of writing is very comfortable to read, and I loved dipping in and out of this book over the last week. I'm also now very much intrigued to read her novels, particularly The Joy Luck Club, and have added them to my wishlist for future consideration. Very enjoyable.

Edited by chesilbeach

An excellent review Claire! :smile2: There are a few things you've mentioned that I want to address, but only after finishing the book :)

I just spent two hours at a park, reading the book and watching dogs play. What bliss! :smile2: