James Lee Burke

mortauchocolat

Hello y'all

Mr Burke is a resident of southern Louisiana and has written a series of stunning novels featuring Dave "Streak" Robicheaux, formerly of the NOPD whose alcoholism lost him his job and much else. In sobriety with the support of Alcoholics Anonymous, Robicheaux often finds himself up against the worst excesses of organised, corporate and local government swindling and crime. Over the series, some 12 novels and counting (all written year by year since 1994) the reader is invited to learn about the lives of the Cajun community in the deepest of the Deep South; about the travails of a man for whom alcohol has become a weapon of mass personal destruction; and in shimmering detail about the ways, mores, weather and lives of small-town America as it is lived in 100 degrees of heat/humidity - think Deliverance and its ilk.

I am a devoted fan. Would love to chat with like-minded souls. If there are none so far, for heaven's sake start reading this gifted and wickedly intelligent writer. These books are not for the weak of heart. They are gutsy, violent, virile. Male. Don't get me started.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you kidding me!!!! I am a huge fan of JLB. He is absolutely one of my favorite authors and I have read most, if not all, of his books. Besides the "Dave Robicheaux" series I also like his Billy Bob Holland books. Back to the Dave Robicheaux series though. Robicheaux is one heck of a complex guy. The world, I think, could stand to have guys like him around. His buddy Clete is also one heck of a guy. Loyalty like that is hard to find. I like the episode where Clete backed a concrete truck up to the convertible of one of the bad guys and filled it up with concrete.

Besides Burke's writing, I also like his "caring for the world". He sincerely cares for people.

The website of James Lee Burke is:

http://www.jamesleeburke.com/

• 4 weeks later...
Have you guys read his non-serial latest? White Dove in Morning I think that is it....I am half way through, and can't find it at the moment. :oops: I, um, rearranged some in here. :grr:

Did you finish White Doves at Morning. I couldn't remember the book as I have read so many of JLB's books that I had to go to Amazon to get a description. Then I remembered. It was a very good read. gosh, I wish there were more authors like James Lee Burke.

I really recommend that some of the members here check him out for some great reading. He is one of my favorite authors.

Did you finish White Doves at Morning. I couldn't remember the book as I have read so many of JLB's books that I had to go to Amazon to get a description. Then I remembered. It was a very good read. gosh, I wish there were more authors like James Lee Burke.

I really recommend that some of the members here check him out for some great reading. He is one of my favorite authors.

I still can't find it! :dunno: I just finished tearing apart stacks, and under the big chair in here.....no dice. At this rate, I'll have to buy another copy. And the minute I do, it'll turn up. grrrrrrrrrr...........:motz:

And I agree, he is an excellent read. :)

• 3 weeks later...

OK muggle, you can quit laughing now, I found it. :)

can't believe I completely forgot about this thread.......:D

I've re-started Heaven's Prisoners again. I have to start over as I read the first quarter of the book so long ago, I can't remember the details.....

The copy I have is from the second hand book store and has Alec Baldwin on the cover. Not a recommendation IMO, but what can I say, I'll try to ignore it. :)

Most of the series authors I read need to be read from the beginning, Henning Mankell (Inspector Kurt Wallander series) is the only one I can think of off the top of my head that isn't like that.

Neon Rain is the first Dave Robicheaux that Burke wrote, and Heaven's Prisoners the next.....I do have all of the series, it's just a question of reading them.

All of that meaning, IMO it's best to begin at the beginning, that way you have all the character's nuances and idiocyncratic behaviour down pat, and can understand his motivations better.

But that is just me and my little compulsive ways. :D:)

muggle, I gave up on trying to find White Doves at Morning and have ordered another copy, this time second hand from Amazon. I found a different cover copy (a U.K. version), so when I finally do find the first one, at least it'll be different. :D

Regarding Heaven's Prisoner, I started over of course, and am about 85% through it. This guy does get better as you go along, the second is better than the first..

And Annie.......:)

Burke's descriptions of the area are right on target and beautiful.

OK muggle! I knew I liked Robicheaux already from Neon Rain. I am now finished Heaven's Prisoners and am officially hooked on Burke.

This guy can write the most delicious descriptions of Lousiana country. When he talks about going from the French part to the Anglo-Saxon section...............man! So On Target!

Did you listen to the interview that is linked on his website about Pegasus Descending ? He is an interesting guy. And he knows his subject well.

Thanks! :D

Pontalba, I am glad that you have started to read JLB. You are in for some enjoyment as his books get better and better starting from the first Robicheaux in "that" series. After I read my first book of his I couldn't stop and proceeded to read in quick order all the books that he has written. Thanks to our library. His writing makes you feel like you are there with him as things take place.

Louiseog, I enjoy JLB so much that I would almost "beg you" to give a try to several of his first books and i am pretty sure you would be hooked. Be warned though, his writing sometimes is hard and brutal but it hits the button and makes you understand exactly what is happening.

My 2 favorite writers are John Steinbeck and James Lee Burke, two completely different writers.

Sorry for my slow response to this topic but we are so busy and right in the middle of getting things done for our move.

Muggle, I know how time consuming a move can be....miserable to say the least, but you sound as though you are retaining a sense of humor at least! :D

I have Black Cherry Blues sitting right here to pick up after Laughter in the Dark. I just love the titles Burke comes up with. :)

I am on dial-up (can't wait until I get broadband - soon) and can't listen to the interview. I did read his interview though in regards to Hurricane Katrina. He speaks from the heart and says what is on his mind. My kind of guy. He is the kind that I would be proud to have as a friend. And maybe that is why I enjoy his writing so much, that along with his outstanding writing talent.

I strongly recommend that his books be read in sequence or you will miss so much and the endings of prior books would be ruined if you jump ahead.

I am on dial-up (can't wait until I get broadband - soon) and can't listen to the interview. I did read his interview though in regards to Hurricane Katrina. He speaks from the heart and says what is on his mind. My kind of guy. He is the kind that I would be proud to have as a friend. And maybe that is why I enjoy his writing so much, that along with his outstanding writing talent.

I strongly recommend that his books be read in sequence or you will miss so much and the endings of prior books would be ruined if you jump ahead.

I agree about the sequence thing too. Especially with Burke.

The only reason we got DSL here was on account of the hurricane. We didn't have phone service for three months, all the lines were uprooted by trees. So when they put in new lines, they added the DSL, and it certainly is worth it!