Oliver VII by Antal Szerb

sirinrob

This is the third novel by Hungarian novelist Antal Szerb. It was completed in 1942, 2 years before his brutal death in a Nazi concentration camp. given the circumstances under which it was written it is surprisingly sunny intone. On the surface it is a madcap romp involving a king who is fed-up with being a king, plots his own coup, goes into exile, ends up in a gang of con-men, ends up impersonating himself and goes back to being king. The supporting characters are an eccentric bunch and the author has great fun with them. Under all the froth there are serious points made about self awareness, deception, the human condition.

I really enjoyed this. It is written with a deft touch and finesse. I'm on the look out for the previous 2 novels, especially as one of them is set in Wales!

Edited by sirinrob

This looks like an interesting read, and the sort of thing I'm currently in the mood for; a frivolous tale with a deeper message. I've been contemplating 'The Pendragon Legend' by this author which also seems like a book I'd probably like. I didn't know he'd written any others--thanks for mentioning them! :console: