Rob's Aussie challenge

sirinrob

This novel chronicles the topsy turvy life led by the Dean family. Martin and Terry live with their parents in the 'Least Desirable place to live in New South Wales'. Part of the novel relates the various mishaps, outrageous antics, unintentional damage and general mayhem they both get into. Martin has a son, Jasper, who doesn't exactly lead a normal childhood, due to Martin's odd view of the world. Various eccentric characters are added to the mix. The result is an exuberant romp, with plenty of twists and turns along the way.

This is a very funny book, with plenty of incisive observation and one liners. Underneath the humour some serious points are made, either by quotes from writers like Spinoza or character narrative. This is an impressive debut novel and look forward to the author's next offering!!

• 2 weeks later...

This is a strong novel, written with care and felicity. The background of Germany under Nazi control is certainly a grim prospect, but bittersweet humour and cameos of humanity leaven the whole. I related to all of the main characters and was moved by the final meeting between Max and Liesel. There were many poignant moments in the novel such as the response of Rudy to the dying pilot, the Mayor's wife's solicitude to Liesel, Rosa's hidden, but obvious feeling For Hand and Liesel and Liesels's humanity.

The novel is well paced and is an easy read - too easy almost, but as it progresses many subtleties are shown and the last chapters are very moving.

Highly recommended

• 1 month later...

This novel chronicles the life of William Thornhill, from his boyhood in late 18th century London, to his middle age in New South Wales. Will as he is known has a rough life in a poor area of London. After becoming a waterman, life gets easier. He marries Sal, but he makes a mistake. As a result he his condemed to die, but this gets commuted to transportation to New south Wales. Sal acompanies him, and they make a new life in Sydney Cove. Will is shown the Hawkesbury river and spots a piece of land he covets so he build something of his own. Once he gets his pardon, he eventually persuades Sal to move with their 5 children to the land up the river. Sal settles there reluctantly. Tensions are ever present between the Aborigines and the settlers like Will. Eventually the situation comes to head;the outcome being unpleasant. By this time Sal has resigned herself to staying put and Will becomes wealthy. One of the consequences of the resolution of the Aborigine/settler conflict is that Will's eldest son leaves and won't have anything to do with Will. Despite his wealth and easy life, Will feels empty as he realises what he has lost.

This was an enjoyable, quick read, but lacked something. It seemed to get stuck in a rut concerning the Aboriginal/settler tension. The writing is fluid, but has a quirk of putting modern language cheek to jowl with a pseudo- 18th cnetury style which for me didn't work. Not a keeper, despite the storyline

This is the third novel by this Tahitian born writer, who now lives in Australia where she wrote this novel. Her previous two novels are 'Breadfruit' and '

'Frangipani'.

synopsis from amazon.co.uk

In the Tahitian town of Faa'a the daily routine is relaxed and pleasantly predictable. But there's one thing you cannot escape and that's the watchful eye of the family. News travels fast on the 'coconut radio' and before you know it every cousin, in-law and neighbour who's been into the local store or bakery that day knows your business. And Materena Mahi, champion professional listener, has a problem that everyone's talking about: her husband, Pito, is a big zero. He has never impressed the family, and now the children are grown-up and she has her own successful radio show, even Materena is beginning to wonder why she still puts up with him. But big changes are on the horizon for the Mahi household. When baby Tiare is literally abandoned on the doorstep of her bewildered grandparents, Materena has some very new ideas about who's going to be left holding the baby..

The novel starts out promisingly, but falls flat soon after, till almost halfway through the book. Most of the characters I found to be one-dimensional, Materena and Pito being the exceptions. The repeated invasion into their life by elderly female relations palls with repetition. In the first half there are some funny chapters, but by and large it is dull. The second half picks up though once the baby enters the story. The ending is predictable happy ever after.

French and Tahitian words are liberally scattered throughout the novel. most are explained, but sometimes not. I didn't find that off putting as it added colour.

This novel felt as if it was aimed at people who were Tahitian or had experienced Tahiti. It never really engaged me, which is a disappointment.

I'm not sure if you already have all of your books selected for this challenge, but if not, I would highly recommend Cloudstreet by Tim Winton. He's an iconic Australian author and this is his best-known and most-loved work. I read it recently and thought it was utterly brilliant.

David Malouf is also supposed to be very good. I have a few of his books on my TBR pile so can't vouch for him myself, but I have a feeling you might like him. :lol: