Will Self - Your thoughts

Coffin Nail

Hello all,

I can't be the only person in the world that has read any of Will Self's novels, but whenever I mention him to other bookies they look at me blankly.

His books (and his articles) always represents a challenge for me. He's the only modern author that ask a lot from me. I need to get a dictionary out for a start. I sometimes have to read the same page more than once to get it.

I love his use of language, that he doesn't dumb down, I love his radicalism, his humour and his subversive swipes at culture.

When I finish any of his books I get a different sense of satisfaction than if I read something purely for entertainment or schlump value.

I'd be glad to hear what other people have thought.

Happy page turning.

Coffin Nail x

Generally, I've enjoyed the Will Self stuff I've read. It's always intelligent, and generally very playful with ideas and language.

I do have a bit of a problem, though - and this is true of his wider demeanour in articles and television as well as in books - and that is that he often feels like he is just trying to shock, a bit like Martin Amis once did. A "Oooh! Look at me! Look how naughty I'm being!" attitude.

I love Will Self but found the only book that I've read of his extremely difficult and though I did persevere with it until the end ('The Book of Dave') .. I didn't enjoy it .. I lent it to someone else to see whether it was just me ... they couldn't get through it.

Going on this book, his books are for those that like a bit of a challenge when reading, unfortunately it was too much of a challenge for me.

Perhaps his other books are easier to read ... but it's the usual thing, you get put off an author if you dislike the first book you read of theirs.

From his television appearances I get the impression of him being a bit too smug for his own good. It's like he's in on a joke and isn't going to share it, that half-grin never far away. It's only what I take away from his interviews and such, but I'm sure I'm not the only person to instantly take a dislike to him...

I don't care about the author in general, he doesn't sound too appealing, but after reading the Amazon reviews about Dorian, of which there are many positives claiming also to have loved Wilde's novel, I'm curious myself to see how it's done in Self's.

I think Raskolnikov's description: Transgressive and filthy - is exactly how Self likes to think of himself, and is not far from the truth. He's arrogant and smug and self-satisfied with his own intellectualism, but I think quite a lot of that is deliberate persona creation. It means he comes across as quite an unpleasant character when on TV or the radio, and certainly not the kind of person I'd want to be stuck at the bar with in my pub; but I don't think that should dictate how you read his work. Which is also intellectual, but I often want that level of intellect when I'm reading, and I don't really when I'm having a chat with a bloke down the pub.

I think Raskolnikov's description: Transgressive and filthy - is exactly how Self likes to think of himself, and is not far from the truth. He's arrogant and smug and self-satisfied with his own intellectualism, but I think quite a lot of that is deliberate persona creation. It means he comes across as quite an unpleasant character when on TV or the radio, and certainly not the kind of person I'd want to be stuck at the bar with in my pub; but I don't think that should dictate how you read his work. Which is also intellectual, but I often want that level of intellect when I'm reading, and I don't really when I'm having a chat with a bloke down the pub.

Sounds exactly like Martin Amis ...