"Shades of Grey" by Jasper Fforde

chesilbeach

Like a lot of other people on BCF, I've been keenly waiting for the new Jasper Fforde book, Shades of Grey, so although I've put a review on my reading blog, I wanted to start a separate thread for the book, for everyone to add to the discussion as they read it!

Synopsis (from amazon.co.uk):

No one could cheat the Colourman and the colour test. What you got was what you were, forever. Your life, career and social standing decided right there and then, and all worrisome life-uncertainties eradicated forever. You knew who you were, what you would do, where you would go, and what was expected of you. In return, you simply accepted your rung upon the Chromatic ladder, and assiduously followed the Rulebook. Your life was mapped. And all in the time it takes to bake a tray of scones . . .

Eddie Russett lives comfortably in a world where fortune, career and ultimate destiny are rigidly dictated by the colours you can see. Until he falls in love with a Grey named Jane, and starts to question every aspect of the Rulebook.

Review:

What do I want from a Jasper Fforde book?

1. Surreal and fantastical yet still realistic and recognisable characters and settings.

2. Excellent storytelling that makes me desperate to keep reading.

3. Funny, witty and clever writing, but that is still accessible and inclusive.

So does Shades of Grey deliver? Yes, Yes and YES! I loved it. My first laugh out loud moment was on page 8 so it was off to a great start, and I think in total there were four occasions when I audibly laughed, but there were plenty of chuckles, knowing grins and smirks along the way.

Fforde has created a whole new environment which while retaining elements of the landscape we live in, provides a whole new way of looking at the world and the colour around us. In a society where your perception of colour decides your rank and role within it, there are obviously parallels with race and class in our own world, and certainly gives you pause for thought about these issues whilst still being entertaining fiction. It's amazing how much detail and depth there is to the characters, the physical environment and the world that is created.

Any complaints? Only a couple of niggles really. I'm still not sure I understand what LeapBack actually is/was, and perhaps the development of a couple of the relationships between characters were a tad predictable, but there were plenty of other completely unexpected elements to allow these to be forgiven.

The story keeps going right to the last page, and sets us up nicely for rest of the series (of which we are promised at least two more books), although that, of course, means more (not so) patient waiting for the next instalment!