American Football

WrongIslander

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, when I finally set foot in the US again you can demonstrate :lol: No tackling though, I prefer to stay upright :roll:

Did you say something Ned? I was sure you said nothing of importance :D

Who's ned? Its just us talking... are you hallucinating?

Haha, I fall way too much so the ground and I have become close friends.

You should definitely come visit, I'll take you to a game. :D

Oh no, I'm hearing things again aren't I? :roll:

As I'm planning on working my way from the east coast to the west coast it'll be easy to stop off and visit - I would definitely love to go to a game so I shall hold you to that :lol:

:roll: I'm on drink number 2 of the evening and our guests haven't even arrived! Darn football games...

I'm anxious to learn more about Cricket when I get over to the UK. I don't really know anything about it except for a few little clips I've seen on TV.

It's boring.

I'm hearing things again!

:roll: I'm on drink number 2 of the evening and our guests haven't even arrived! Darn football games...

I'm anxious to learn more about Cricket when I get over to the UK. I don't really know anything about it except for a few little clips I've seen on TV.

I love cricket! Whenever my dad was home on leave we would go and watch a match together. We can trade, you do football and I'll take you to the cricket :lol:

I'm hearing things again!

I love cricket! Whenever my dad was home on leave we would go and watch a match together. We can trade, you do football and I'll take you to the cricket :roll:

Wow, I'm starting to get these weird voices in the back of my head too! Creepy!

Its a deal! :lol: I can't wait to experience a cricket game.

Wow, I'm starting to get these weird voices in the back of my head too! Creepy!

Its a deal! :D I can't wait to experience a cricket game.

Maybe it's some sort of pre-Super Bowl phenomenon :lol:

Cricket is great to watch - unless it's raining :roll: There's just something about the game that appeals to me.

I'd love the Superbowl to be on a Saturday night/Sunday morning UK time. Programming doesn't start until 11pm and finishes at 3am Monday morning, when I have to get up for work at 6am :lol:

I'm not a huge fan as I have never fully grasped the game in depth although I get the gist, so I don't have a team I 'support', but it's still a spectacle that everyone on earth should have a chance to witness at least once, bit like an eclipse. :roll: Ok maybe not.

Much like Gridiron, Cricket is a sport you have to make an effort to understand, and is not a sport you can really just pick up and watch. If you can grasp the little subtle nuances of the game it can be great to watch, although it is slighly spoiled for me by the somewhat snobby image it has in this country and the even snobbier people who follow it who consider some not worthy of watching the sport. Which is a shame.

Hey, I follow cricket and I'm not snobby! When my dad & I have gone to matches we've met some really great down-to-earth people :roll:

Abby, have you figured who the band are yet?

Cricket should definitely be an experience. I couldn't care less about what people think of me because of my interests and hobbies so I wouldn't be bothered by the snobs.

No... Unfortunately not. Now they've moved onto talking about Peyton Manning *swoon* and the previous Super Bowls the Colts have won.

Hey, I follow cricket and I'm not snobby! When my dad & I have gone to matches we've met some really great down-to-earth people :roll:

Abby, have you figured who the band are yet?

Sorry, I worded it wrongly, I didn't intend to say that every single person who follows the game is snobby, as that is not true obviously. But it is a sport who's image is defined by class more than any other sport in this country in my opinion.

There are some aficionados of the game who look down on people who are new to it and just want to learn, and tend to have the attitude 'well if you don't know, then why are you here' kind of thing.

It's an attitude I experienced when I first started to take an interest in watching, there were some who were only to pleased to explain what was happening however.

Sorry, I worded it wrongly, I didn't intend to say that every single person who follows the game is snobby, as that is not true obviously. But it is a sport who's image is defined by class more than any other sport in this country in my opinion.

There are some aficionados of the game who look down on people who are new to it and just want to learn, and tend to have the attitude 'well if you don't know, then why are you here' kind of thing.

It's an attitude I experienced when I first started to take an interest in watching, there were some who were only to pleased to explain what was happening however.

I know the exact attitude you mean, I mostly come across that from people who haven't actually been to a match, strangely enough or from my sister's husbands friends (mostly all ex-public schoolboys :roll: ). I just thought I'd point out that there's at least 2 non-snobby cricket aficianados out there :lol:

They have only won two Super Bowls, one in 1970 and one in 2006. I really thought it was more than that.

The Saints have never been to the Super Bowl before. This will be their first.

The Colts will definitely win tonight then - 3rd time's a charm and all that. Good on the Saints though for making it to their first one :D

Edited by Fi

She did recover well, she looked really embarrassed though - bless her :roll: Carrie underwood's last note was a tad on the flat side too but it must be so scary when you think how many people are watching!