American Football

WrongIslander

With the Superbowl around the corner and no thread for it I thought I'd make one for other fans (if there are any about) of Grid Iron to join in with their thoughts and opinions.

I'm a New York Jets fan, I have been since the day that the Houston Oilers (my first team) left and became the Tennessee Titans. Being as I am English I couldn't forgive this most epic of betrayals and so became a fan of "Gang Green".

If you arn't up to speed then here is a quick run down of what is going on.

The playoffs started a few weeks back and the first round is called the "Wild Card" this is for the teams that had the best records outside of those teams that qualified automatically from their respective conferences (AFC and NFC).

My Jets faced off against the Cincinati Bengals and emerged victorious after a smart performance from our Quarter Back Mark Sanchez. A strong running game and strong defence. (The number 1 in both categories of all teams).

24-14 Jets

"America's Team" (as they call themselves) the Dallas Cowboys faced off against the Philidelphia Eagles. The Dallas QB Tony Romo ran the show and the Eagles imploded making for an easy passage through for the 'Boys.

14-34 'Boys

The once formidable New England Patriots were taken care of easily by the Baltimore Ravens as their running game led by Running Back Ray Allen to which the Patriots had no answer. Time to start again in NE I think.

33-14 Ravens

Green Bay @ Arizona was a record breaking shootout of a game. In a game where neither team could stop the run or pass a great comeback from the GB Packers was not enough to stop the Cards advancing with the only meaningful defensive play of the game, although it was more than a little suspicious when a facemask was not called on the Cards as the GB QB Aaron Rodgers was stripped of the ball by LB Karlos Dansby.

45 - 51 Cards

Having won their AFC wildcard games the Jets and Ravens earned the right to face off against the teams that qualified directly from winning their confences with the best records.

The Ravens faced off against he much fancied Indiannapolis Colts led by their legendary QB Peyton Manning. The Colts D held firm and Manning did what he does to see off the Ravens and reaffirm their status as one of the favourites for the competition

20-13 Colts

The Jets faced a tough trip to the form team the San Diego Chargers. The Chargers had won their last 11 and their kicker Nate Kaeding was "automatic" as they say having hit his last 20 in a row. American Football has no respect for such statistics and as they say any team can win on any given Sunday. The Jets "offense" stuggled from minute 1 and only managed a solitary first down in the first half. The chargers however while having more of the ball and the more experienced QB in Phillip Rivers only managed the one converted Touch Down and could not add to their lead when Kaeding missed a 57 yard FG. Although it was a tough kick it was one that you'd back Kaeding to make despite it being a tie of his career long.

Kaeding went on to miss two more FG's from much more makable positions and the Jets came out in the second half and established their run game through Shonn Greene and veteran Thomas Jones.When the Jets D got a late Xmas present from Rivers which Justin Leonhard duly accepted, QB Mark Sanchez found Keller for the TD pass and then not long after Greene went a post season franchise record 56 yards for the TD to put the Jets up 17-7. The Colts could only manage 1 TD as the Jets sealed the game running a 4th and 1 for a first down which allowed them to run out the clock.

The best D in the league had beaten the best O (on paper)

17-14 Jets

I'll talk more about the New Orlean Saints (rightfully favourites and the team I picked to win it from day one) on my NFC Championship game later this week. Suffice to say that RB Bush stole the show and QB Drew Brees looked as comfortable as they thrashed last years runners up the Arizona Cardinals.

45-15 Saints

Same goes for the Vikings as they waltzed past the 'Boys who showed just how overrated their performance against a lacklustre Eagles team was previously. A great defensive performance added to the HOF sensible play of QB Brett Favre and the best running back in the league Adrian Peterson doing his thing meant this was as comfortable for the Vikings of Minnesota as it was for the 'Boys when they battered the Eagles.

34-3 Vikings.

So there it is. All caught up (sorry I cut corners but that was a lot to get through and obviously I was always going to go into more detail with the Jets games' :D)

If you are interested look forward to my AFC and NFC championship previews which whatever the case will be followed by my Superbowl preview.

So far this year I'm 7/8 in my predictions with only the Packers letting me down in OT WITH the ball! It's getting tougher now though. Good thing I quit gambling or I'd be minted now.... :)

Edited by WrongIslander

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My BF is watching it but I have no idea how American Football works so I dare say I'll just get a bit of reading done while it's on in the background.

Apparently it's quite a thing to see with lots of entertainment going on throughout the game? :roll:

My BF is watching it but I have no idea how American Football works so I dare say I'll just get a bit of reading done while it's on in the background.

Apparently it's quite a thing to see with lots of entertainment going on throughout the game? :lol:

The Who are playin the halftime show. The commercials are also the most expensive ones to buy in the entire year of television programming. A lot of people watch the game mainly to see the commercials. :roll:

I'll be rooting on Peyton Manning and the Colts tonight!

I'll be watching too as I've just discovered it's on BBC1 for once! Woo! We won't get to see any of the commercials but hopefully the Beeb will have the decency to show The Who :roll:

I'll be watching too as I've just discovered it's on BBC1 for once! Woo! We won't get to see any of the commercials but hopefully the Beeb will have the decency to show The Who :roll:

:exc:Yay! I'm so excited for you! What team are you rooting for? The Indianapolis Colts or the New Orleans Saints?

Yes it will, Peyton Manning is well on his way to becoming a football legend! Though I am disappointed that my team, the Minnesota Vikings, didn't make it. They were so close this year and choked (as they usually do) against the Saints.

It is so opposite here! I grew up playing soccer and love it more than football, but here hardly anyone follows pro soccer. Its all football. I will watch football but to be honest, I only really care when January comes around and the build up to the big game starts.

When I lived with my ex I had no choice but to watch soccer so it kind of grew on me and I still keep an eye on a couple of teams now. I don't know why but I've always loved watching American football - even though I don't get all the rules - and I quite like watching baseball & hockey too :roll:

Baseball and hockey are great. I'm a huge hockey fan and can't wait for the Olympics to get underway so I can follow it. :D

Its taken me years to understand football :lol: Definitely not something one can do in the span of one or two games. Both my mom and dad played in school (my mom played powder puff- no tackle) so I grew up with it. Its really a great complex sport.

Go Saints :roll:

Boo!

I have a friend who said he's going to teach me about football properly but I'm still waiting :roll: I get the gist of it though so I'm not comppletely clueless!

Ned, you can go off people you know :lol:

I can teach you how to throw a proper spiral, but other than that I'm rubbish at explaining things. I can only teach through actions :roll: I'm pretty good at taclking too... but thats mostly because I tend fall over and end up taking someone with me.

Hopefully you will get to learn soon. :lol:

Well, when I finally set foot in the US again you can demonstrate :lol: No tackling though, I prefer to stay upright :roll:

Did you say something Ned? I was sure you said nothing of importance :D