HP Lovecraft

Owen

I read Ther Call fo Cthulu years & years ago, as my then boyfriend was very much into Lovecraft & had recommended it, but I wasn't taken by it at all. I keep meaning to go back & try some of his other works to see if I like them any better, but I've not got round to it yet. Perhaps this is the push I need! :)

• 1 month later...

Ia! Ia! R'lyeh ? Cthulhu ftagn! Ia! Ia! Mglui naflftagn Dagon e Y'ha-nthlei! Ia! Ia! Y'ha-nthlei!

Sorry about that, but it's nice to be able to put that where (hopefully) somebody will understand.

I'm a long-term Lovecraft fan, discovering one of the story compilations on a whim back when I was at college. In my opinion, he's certainly one of the most important horror writers; his deep mythos and almost purposefully dense language conjure up horrendous alienation. The Chasium roleplay was also superb, as well.

If you're interested, let me know and I'll give you a short list of 'best of' Lovecraft tales to read to best get an overview.

Reading this reply will cost you 1D4 SANITY.

I think you are saying, sorry I am a bit rusty, 'will bring forth Dread Cthulhu, and you can't stop me!'?

They were not composed altogether of flesh and blood. They had shape...but that shape was not made of matter. When the stars were right, They could plunge from world to world through the sky; but when the stars were wrong, They could not live. But although They no longer lived, They would never really die. They all lay in stone houses in Their great city of R'lyeh, preserved by the spells of mighty Cthulhu for a glorious resurrection when the stars and the earth might once more be ready for them.

:dunno:

Sing along with me Gyre:

'That is not dead which can eternal lie. Yet with strange eons, even death may die.'

What was it Lovecraft wrote: 'The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate its contents.'

Anyway, I have to go and have my brain taken to Pluto by the Fungi from Yuggoth.

I don't know if I should admit to knowing exactly what you mean and owning up to actually having dice with less and more than six sides :dunno:

That depends if you will suffer a CHA modifier of -2 to all rolls by admitting to liking roleplay...

I used to have a group of friends of similar tastes, as we ran groups for Call of Cthulhu, AD&D, Vampire the Masquerade and Warhammer. Where else do I get to be a dwarf and talk with a silly accent this side of Arkham Asylum?

I am a (dice) tosser and proud of it!

That depends if you will suffer a CHA modifier of -2 to all rolls by admitting to liking roleplay...

I used to have a group of friends of similar tastes, as we ran groups for Call of Cthulhu, AD&D, Vampire the Masquerade and Warhammer. Where else do I get to be a dwarf and talk with a silly accent this side of Arkham Asylum?

I am a (dice) tosser and proud of it!

Oh no not another one :dunno:

Only -2 to CHA that's not too bad. :dunno:

It has to be said, there is something about an elf, a dwarf and a tall dude in robes rolling up to a village, killing all the baddies and decimating it in the name of all that is good :motz:

Only -2 to CHA that's not too bad. :dunno:

It has to be said, there is something about an elf, a dwarf and a tall dude in robes rolling up to a village, killing all the baddies and decimating it in the name of all that is good :motz:

I always played chaotic neutral: 'I'll save your village. FOR A PRICE!'

Sadly, my friends gave up on the roleplay, so I'm forced to get my vicarious thrills from PC RPG games instead,

I had a dwarf character in AD&D with an enchanted beard which gave him +4CHA when used on women. It was hilarious!

Well howdy, I'm a bit of a lovecraft fanboy. Going as far as owning CoC limited edition green lether bound rule book. (yeah-baby-yeah).

I often run D&D games, although I used to play AD&D but thac0 just blew my brain.

Excellent, another man with high Cthulhu Mythos and low base SAN! Nice to meet you.

AD&D Third Edition rules. Oh dear oh dear. Enough said.

So, favourite H.P. tale? Mine is The Whisperer in Darkness; it builds perfectly, and the denoument is an absolute masterstroke!

Did you play the PC game Dark Corners of the Earth recently? Tolerable if frustrating. Good SAN system, though.

I'm quite fond of At the Mountains of Madness, but my favourate still has to be the call of cthulhu (or the madness from the sea)...it was the first hpLovecraft stroy I read.

Theres nothing wrong with d&d 3 ed, even lily enjoys it.

Its a little known fact that lily is in fact a mask of Nyarlethotep. Its true. I read it on wikipedia.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

So, has anyone read any of these classics. I am ashamed to say I haven't and I call myself a horror fiction fan!

I found about him through Amazon when looking for best sellers..I shall be looking into this now and have found a website where you can read his stuff for free.

Just wondering what other people's opinion is on his work?

Andie x