Greetings...

WrongIslander

[apologies if you've read this as I posted on another book forum]

Hello there. My name is Rich, I'm from Liverpool England and the reason I have joined this site it to recapture my love for reading. I used to love reading as a child and never had a book out of my hand, at an early age my favourite book was Matilda and then I moved on to the Discword books, then Shakespeare (though sadly not as many as I would have liked to this point) and finally biographies and sports related books.

My favourite sports book is "Football Against the Enemy" by Simon Kuper and if you are interested in Football or even just curious what it means to the world and how it has come to shape certain countries as much as politics then I suggest you look into it. His interview with the man who was terrorised by the Stasi for the team he supported is one of the best pieces I have ever read as he presents the facts seemingly without hyperbole and while being sympathetic the man's cause he doesn't try and pretend he has any idea what it was like nor does he try and convey a false emotion to the reader. It is perfectly handled and conveys the interviewees emotions not his own.

Another sports book I have just finished is "The Bad Guys Won" which is Jeff Pearlman's account of the 1986 New York Mets the most dispicable team to ever play the game of Baseball and perhaps ever and yet if you are like me you can't help but warm to these louts as they remind you what sport used to be like. I may not have followed Baseball in the 80's but believe me this book is all too familiar of a culture that has died in every sport, both the good and the bad.

I'm just reading American Pyscho at the moment and finding it very enjoyable if not somewhat disturbing to say the least.

It's nice to be here and I hope I can contribute while at the same time learn something new and get some good recommendations for the future.

I've always been interested in music, films, sport amoung other things but reading is my only passion that has been sporadic. I have to say given how much I am enjoying it these days I think this reaffirmation could lead to it being a pastime that is here to stay.

Welcome to the forum, WrongIslander. I really like your last sentence - I hope your reading is here to stay too. :)

Thanks. I notice that Fahrenheit 451 was the recommended reading material for the bookgroup this month. Small world given I only found out about it the other day and it is currently winging its way to my door as we speak. :D

Excellent! I just finished a re-read of Fahrenheit 451 recently. We've been having a really good discussion about it in our thread (although it contains spoilers, so may want to check it once you've finished the book).

I love reading dystopian novels, and I noticed you've also got 1984 on your reading list. I plan on re-reading that one as well this year, and I just finished The Road a couple of days ago. I look forward to your thoughts on all of these!

Welcome to the forum! I hope you'll join in the discussions of F451 this month. You also mentioned you enjoyed Shakespeare - well, next month we're discussing Macbeth! How's that for a fortuitous coincidence? :)

Thank you to everyone, this really is a very friendly forum and I hope to stay around and contribute as best I can.

As for reading Macbeth, I just read it last year and will be happy to brush up on it once more.

I have no spur

To prick the sides of my intent, but only

Vaulting ambition, which o'erleaps itself

And falls on the other.