I'm a new reader, looking for supernatural / apocalyptic book series

Hello everyone! I'm a pretty new reader, survived high school and college(still attending college) by spark noting almost every book we were assigned. I'm a huge tv junkie, I love being able to relax and watch a story unfold. I'v watched a huge array of tv series:

Heroes, Lost, Prison Break, House, The Office, Its always sunny in Phili, Big Bang Theory, 24, Psych, The Mentalist, Grey's Anatomy, Dollhouse, One Tree Hill, Dexter, Burn Notice, Chuck, Supernatural, Smallville, Fringe, True Blood, Scrubs, How I met your mother, Lie to Me, Pushin up daisys, 90210, Greek, Kyle XY, Terminator:SCC, Eureka, and more.

But now, I'v watched almost every tv show that interests me and I'v decided to read some book series. I'm really interested in stories about something supernatural (people with powers, monsters, vampires, demons, gods), or an apocalyptic series about people trying to survive the end of the world or some sort of horrible ordeal.

A long time ago I read the Left Behind series and I loved them (very surprising since I'm not a Christian). It's a very long book series (if I remember correctly, there are 13 books and each book is 400+ pages) about the end of the world according to the bible.

Every christian disappears, the world has 7 years left which the anti-christ rules during, new christians are hunted and killed, supernatural seals are released which kill people, satans mark is required to live in society, people without the mark are beheaded...

I'm looking for a few long series to read; decent sized books with more than a few books in the series itself. I'm not looking for individual books because I don't like being consumed by the story and characters and then leaving them after a day.

I'v tried doing some research myself and I might read the Gone/Hunger series and the sookie stackhouse series but other than that I'm having a really hard time finding books that'll be good. I have no idea where to start, thanks!

I would definately recommend the Sookie Stackhouse novels if you enjoyed True Blood. The books are really good and you will find a lot of fans on here to discuss them with :lol:

The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice are also worth a read, starting with Interview with a Vampire which is really good.

Have you read I am Legend?

I did enjoy True Blood, and I heard it's based on the sookie stackhouse series which is why I thought I'd give it a try. I'll be sure to look up the Vampire chronicles as well.

And I have seen I am legend, the movie, if that counts lol. I'm a big zombie fan since zombies usually have to do with an apocalypse. However, I wasn't to big on I am legend so I'm a little reluctant to give the book a try. Also, not sure about the length of the I am legend book but I'm looking for something that can keep me wrapped up in it for a good amount of time.

I'd also recommend the Women of the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong. There are currently 10 books out in the series with another one due this year. They feature werewolves, vampires, witches, sorcerers, half demons, necromancers, ghosts - the whole shebang. And they're great reads to boot! :lol:

If you like those Left Behind books then you'll surely love the work of David Britton. Not to everyone's taste, but I loved that book (the one I can't mention by name for fear of getting banned). Also look for Clive Barker's Books Of Blood.

Well I'll give it a thought about what more books to recommend you, you seem to love the same books as I do, am a big fan of post-apocalyptic books (well anything really) too. Though I have never found a series about this unfortunately. Maybe if you involve some sci-fi, there might be something. Let me think.

However, one book I can recommend, even though you say you don't want to read single books... is Stephen King's the Stand.. it's over 1000 pages long, so it's not like you'll read that in one day. :D I love this book, it's one of my favourites, and I have read it several times. The film, if you've seen it, gives a decent representation of what the book "feels" like, if you know what I mean, but the film's way more shorted, the book's just more detailed, elaborates more. It's about a plague (a sort of flu virus) killing most of the world's population, and the survivors being caught in a battle for good or evil, they have dreams about either Mother Abigail, this old black woman (good), or Randall Flagg, a modern incarnation of an ancient evil. They side with either of both, trekking though America to join either of both groups.

It's a long, calm story, and I like the atmosphere in the book a lot, in a way it is Stephen King, yet also it is not.

If you like (post-) apocalyptic fiction, I'd give this one a try.:)

I agree with Univerz - The Stand is one of my all-time favourite books and is well worth a read. Make sure you get the complete and unabridged version for full impact! :)

If you like those Left Behind books then you'll surely love the work of David Britton. Not to everyone's taste, but I loved that book (the one I can't mention by name for fear of getting banned). Also look for Clive Barker's Books Of Blood.

i'm trying to work which of his 3 books you referring to..... have an idea lol