Fifi's Fantastic Fiction & Other Assorted Books 2010

Fi.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww! Hopefully it comes back in full force soon. I still have my list making markers and stickers and am in the midst of planning that epic list for you still *laughs evily and steeples fingers*

That is one book that I am dead set on buying again so that I can read it, it looks very promising.

I've not had trouble with my mojo since 2007 so I'm a bit worried! I've started another 7 books this week in the hope that something will give me some ooomph but I've only finished one :roll:

I'm so excited to see the epic list, complete with sparkles & stickers :)

Butterfly - Sonya Hartnett 3/5

Blurb -

Growing up during the 1980s in the safe complacency of the Australian suburbs, Ariella "Plum" Coyle should be happy. But on the cusp of her fourteenth birthday - and on the fringe of her peer group - she lives in terror of the disapproval of her cruel and fickle girlfriends, and most of all, she hates her awkward, changing body with a passion.So when Plum's glamorous next-door neighbour Maureen, a young wife and mother, befriends Plum, Plum responds with worshipful fervour. Plum feels herself reinvented. With Maureen, she becomes the girl she's always wanted to be. But Maureen has an ulterior motive for taking Plum under her wing . . .

This is an odd little book, I read it on the recommendation of a friend and to be honest I'm still not quite sure what I think of it. That I managed to finish it despite a waning mojo must say something! Wll ponder further over this one :roll:

The Owl Killers - Karen Maitland

Blurb -

England, 1321. The tiny village of Ulewic teeters between survival and destruction, faith and doubt, God and demons. For shadowing the villagers' lives are men cloaked in masks and secrecy, ruling with violence, intimidation, and terrifying fiery rites: the Owl Masters.

But another force is touching Ulewic - a newly formed community built and served only by women. Called a beguinage, it is a safe harbor of service and faith in defiance of the all-powerful Church.

Behind the walls of this sanctuary, women have gathered from all walks of life: a skilled physician, a towering former prostitute, a cook, a local convert. But life in Ulewic is growing more dangerous with each passing day. The women are the subject of rumors, envy, scorn, and fury until the daughter of Ulewic's most powerful man is cast out of her home and accepted into the beguinage - and battle lines are drawn.

Into this drama are swept innocents and conspirators: a parish priest trying to save himself from his own sins.A village teenager, pregnant and terrified. A woman once on the verge of sainthood, now cast out of the Church... With Ulewic ravaged by flood and disease and with villagers driven by fear, a secret inside the beguinage will draw the desperate and the depraved - until masks are dropped, faith is tested - and every lie is exposed.

• 4 weeks later...

Ooops, not updated for a while - not that it matters anyway

Finished reading these -

Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell 5/5

Scarlet - Alexandra Ripley 4/5

Ladies Of Grace Adieu - Susanna Clarke 4/5

Eve Green - Susan Fletcher 3/5

Meridian - Amber Kizer 5/5

Ruined - Paula Morris 4/5

Nightfall - Stephen Leather 3/5

The Owl Killers - Karen Maitland 5/5 - My book of the month for February!

The Ghost's Child - Sonya Hartnett 5/5 - My other book of the month for February

The Other Hand - Chris Cleave 3/5

Something Wicked This Way Comes - Ray Bradbury 5/5 - My book of the year, every year since 1986

Angel's Blood - Nalini Singh 4/5

Archangel's Kiss - Nalini Singh 3/5

The Last Dickens - Matthew Pearl 4/5

I, Lucifer - Glen Duncan 4/5 - This book was bonkers, pure & simple! The 1st half was fabulous, the 2nd half wasn't otherwise it would have been 5/5

Ash - Malinda Lo 4/5

Edited by Fi

Finished so far in March -

Ella Minnow Pea 4/5

His Other Lover - Lucy Dawson 4/5 - Chick Lit but with a dark side

Untamed - Helen Kirkman 1/5 - Recommended & loaned by a friend which is why I finished it, wish I hadn't, awful!

Blue Moon - Lori Handeland 3/5 - Werewolves for grown-ups!

Dandelion Wine - Ray Bradbury 4/5 - My all-time favourite author, everyone should read at least one Bradbury book in their lifetime

Chocky - John Wyndham 4/5 - It's Wyndham Week here in Fi Land, love his books :lol:

Currently reading -

The Kraken Wakes - John Wyndham

Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte

Dark Life - Kat Falls - ARC, book due out in May, YA

A Scanner Darkly - Philip K Dick

Wow, great reading lists there Fi!

To single out just a few, I also loved Gone with the Wind, Wuthering Heights and Ella Minnow Pea. :D

I have both those Wyndham books as well as Dandelion Wine on my TBR pile, and A Scanner Darkly on my wish list. :lol:

Be interested to know what you make of 'The Owl Killers' .. I really liked Karen Maitland's 'Company of Liars' .. thought it was a great story although I was a little disappointed that it didn't end as well as it had begun.

I loved it, gave it 5/5 and joint book of the month for February for me. I love the time period the OK was set in and the amount of detail she went into was amazing. I hadn't heard much about the Beguinage in Bruges before and I've been reading everything I can find about it thanks to Ms. Maitland :lol:

Oh boy, you've read loads of stuff since the last time. I was wondering where you been hiding for the past couple of weeks but obviously you've been too busy reading to log in on the forum :lol:

Nice to see you finished and truly enjoyed GwtW :D And you've also read Scarlet, was it for the first time or was it a re-read?

Scarlet was a first for me Frankie, it was one of those books that I always meant to get but never quite got round to it!

And yes, GwtW done & dusted :) After my brief mojo blip I just got straight back into it and in fact loved it even more this read than I did the first time.

• 3 months later...

Have read lots & lots of books since my last post, will update lists on first page when I get a chance!

Currently reading The Passage by Justin Cronin and The White Cat by Holly Black :D

• 2 weeks later...

My reading mojo has ground to a halt, I really want to love The Passage but I'm finding it hard going :lol: Am going to put it to one side and read fluff for a bit, obviously not in the right frame of mind just now.

Currently reading -

Impossible by Nancy Werlin

Inspired by the ballad 'Scarborough Fair,' this riveting novel combines suspense, fantasy, and romance for an intensely page-turning and masterfully original tale.

Lucy is seventeen when she discovers that the women of her family have been cursed through the generations, forced to attempt three seemingly impossible tasks or to fall into madness upon their first child's birth. But Lucy is the first girl who won't be alone as she tackles the list. She has her fiercely protective foster parents and her childhood friend Zach beside her. Do they have love and strength enough to overcome an age-old evil?

Web Of Lies by Jennifer Estep (Book 2 of the Elemental Assassin series)

Curiosity is definitely going to get me dead one of these days. Probably real soon.

I'm Gin Blanco.

You might know me as the Spider, the most feared assassin in the South. I'm retired now, but trouble still has a way of finding me. Like the other day when two punks tried to rob my popular barbecue joint, the Pork Pit. Then there was the barrage of gunfire on the restaurant. Only, for once, those kill shots weren't aimed at me. They were meant for Violet Fox. Ever since I agreed to help Violet and her grandfather protect their property from an evil coalmining tycoon, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm really retired. So is Detective Donovan Caine. The only honest cop in Ashland is having a real hard time reconciling his attraction to me with his Boy Scout mentality. And I can barely keep my hands off his sexy body. What can I say? I'm a Stone elemental with a little Ice magic thrown in, but my heart isn't made of solid rock. Luckily, Gin Blanco always gets her man . . . dead or alive.

Read in July -

The Passage - Justin Cronin DNF

Impossible - Nancy Werlin

Web Of Lies - Jennifer Estep

Burned - P C Cast

The Iron King - Julie Kagawa

Keys To The Repository - Melissa de la Cruz

Jessica's Guide To Dating On The Dark Side - Beth Fantaskey

Midnight Never Come - Marie Brennan

In Ashes Lie - Marie Brennan

The White Cat - Holly Black

Fallen - Lauren Kate

Fairy Tale - Cyn Balog

Infinity - Sherrilyn Kenyon

Dark Sister - Graham Joyce

Edited by Fi

That's too bad Fi. :lol: Is it a difficult writing style to get into? I've recently added The Passage to my wishlist but now I might have second thoughts.

I'm not sure what the problem is Kylie :roll: It's been one of my "must read as soon as it comes out" books since I was sent a review of the first few chapters, the writing is great and it's definitely my sort of book but I just can't get my head to stay interested. I shall put it aside for a couple of weeks and try again, especially as my friend is loving it and already halfway through the 766 pages!

• 2 weeks later...

The Passage has been put aside for a couple of weeks, hopefully I'll be in the mood to finish it by then.

I finished Web Of Lies which was okay paranormal fantasy but nothing amazing, nearly finished Impossible by Nancy Werlin which I'm loving - so much so that I've ordered her next book, Extraordinary, due in September. I've also re-read Fallen by Lauren Kate - one of my favourite books of the year - and Fairy Tale by Cyn Balog, Sleepless by the same author and started Siren by Tricia Rayburn :lol:

Most annoying discovery of the week though is that I seem to have lost a book :motz:I went to get it off the shelf to read but can't find it anywhere, I've searched shelves, cupboards, boxes & draws, I've even phoned my mum to see if it was at her house but nope, it's disappeared :D

• 2 weeks later...

I've completely lost track of what I've mentioned on here and what's in my book journal so starting again :rolleyes:

Just finished Linger by Maggie Stiefvater which I absolutely loved! The continuing story of Grace & Sam, a new character called Cole (didn't think much of him) and more from Isabel - Jack from Shiver's sister. I can't really say any any more without completely spoiling the story so I'll just say I gave it 5/5 and I am now impatiently waiting for Forever to be released next summer :)

Edited by Fi

Current read - The Secret War by M F W Curran

For thousands of years a secret war has been fought between Heaven and Hell. Daemons and angels, vampyres and knights, clash for the future of mankind, and as the two sides wage war across the world, innocent people are caught up in the conflict – men like Captain William Saxon and Lieutenant Kieran Harte, two great friends who have recently survived the horrors of the Battle of Waterloo.

But now they face a greater struggle, against the daemonic forces of Count Ordrane, and the clandestine ambitions of the Vatican. They must try to survive assassination attempts, political machinations, epic battles on land and sea, and above all the power of a mysterious bronze pyramid – the Scarimadean – that brings everlasting damnation too all who come into contact with it.

Their only allies are an old man, a fading secret organisation in the Church, and an enigmatic warrior, who may hold the key not only to the friends’ fates, but to the fate of all mankind . . .