Rilke

If you want a book then the 'The Poetry of Rilke' by Edward Snow seems to be praised, but get the paperback version, as it seems the hardback ,as a book, is not good quality. Also there are loads of online resources, simply Google Rilke poems :lol:

ETA

Found this as well 'The Selected Poetry (Picador Classics)' (Paperback). Its not a complete collection, but is comprehensive.

Edited by sirinrob

The latest edition of Snow's The Poetry of Rilke (October 2009) doesn't seem to be out in paperback yet; maybe the quality of this one is better? Thanks for the thread Lexie, you've reminded me to get it :lol: you see, this is why I should pre-order things...

Well :lol: parallel text means that the translator is a 'line by line' translator (which is a good thing); it also allows the reader who might have a basic knowledge of the original language to improve his knowledge thereof; finally, they are a vital resource for all future translators out there.

Ok from a learners/intermediate point of view your point is valid :lol:, but , like yourself , advanced /fluent in a target language don't you find parallel translation annoying? Speaking personally, I'd rather read the original and enjoy the discovery rather than be fed what a translator thinks is the meaning, as they can, and often do, misrepresent the context.

Surely you mean source language :lol:.

If I'm fluent in a source language, I find parallel text interesting as it gives me the opportunity of agreeing/disagreeing with the translational choices made by others. As for languages I'm not fluent in, I still like to see the shape of the original poem - things like metre are so often lost in translation, and being able to physically see them for oneself can affect one's understanding of the poem, even if read in translation.

A parallel text version of Rilke, then, is fine by me :).