Rory Gilmore's Book List Challenge

AbielleRose

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How's everybody? Have you all started Gone with the Wind already? I read Macbeth during the weekend (that's one Rory book I can cross from the list!) and started reading Pygmalion after that because Macbeth made me want to read more plays (Pygmalion is also on Rory's list :roll:). But I'm going to start GwtW soon! I haven't found a suitable notebook yet though, I've been scribbling my thoughts on some legal pads I bought. They are plain white, I couldn't find any yellow ones that I adore, but however, I managed to spill coffee on one of the pads so a couple of the papers turned yellowish :lol: I think Rory would approve of this method, I did use coffee didn't I? :)

Good work! :roll: I've started both Macbeth and Gone with the Wind, although I haven't made much progress in either :lol:. I have set myself a goal of at least 50 pages a day for the latter, and I'm only at page 30 and it's bed-time. :)

I read 52 pages of GwtW yesterday and I have to admit I'm getting into the story quite well, I'm liking it :readingtwo: It kind of reminds me of Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides, the story is and will be about a couple of different generations and we will be shown how it all came to be. Love it!

I was browsing through my Rory Lists and my TBR list and I just wanted to add here the books that are on the Rory List and also on my TBR and I would like to read them (preferably with you guys, of course, but there's bound to be overlapping):

- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

- Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie

- The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

- Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

- Hamlet by William Shakespeare

- Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

- The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo

- The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov

- The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

- The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

- The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

- Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

- Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

- The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber

- The Crucible by Arthur Miller

- The Fellowship of the Ring: Book 1 of The Lord of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien

- Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders by Vincent Bugliosi and Curt Gentry

- The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende

- I'm with the Band by Pamela des Barres

- In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

- The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

- The Love Story by Erich Segal

- Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf

- Out of Africa by Isac Dineson

- Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

- The Return of the King: The Lord of the Rings Book 3 by J. R. R. Tolkien

- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

- The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath 1950-1962 by Sylvia Plath

- Wuthering Heights by Emily Bront�

Out of that batch I think we all (CaliLily, Fi, Lucybird, Kylie and me) already agreed on

- Rebecca by Dahne du Maurier

I read 52 pages of GwtW yesterday and I have to admit I'm getting into the story quite well, I'm liking it :D It kind of reminds me of Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides, the story is and will be about a couple of different generations and we will be shown how it all came to be. Love it!

That's what I'm loving about it! Since reading Middlesex, I've come to realise that I love 'epic' books that tell a family's entire story. I think this is why I'm enjoying GwtW so much as well. Another family epic that I loved was The Town and the City by Jack Kerouac (which isn't on the list, but On the Road by the same author should be). :readingtwo:

- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

- The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov

- The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

- The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber

- Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders by Vincent Bugliosi and Curt Gentry

Out of that batch I think we all (CaliLily, Fi, Lucybird, Kylie and me) already agreed on

- Rebecca by Dahne du Maurier

Yep! And I also have the others listed on my TBR pile. They're all supposed to be brilliant books (well, I'm not so sure about Helter Skelter). A Tree Grows in Brooklyn has been on my TBR pile for years and it's one that I hope to get to this year because absolutely everyone seems to think it's wonderful.

That's what I'm loving about it! Since reading Middlesex, I've come to realise that I love 'epic' books that tell a family's entire story. I think this is why I'm enjoying GwtW so much as well. Another family epic that I loved was The Town and the City by Jack Kerouac (which isn't on the list, but On the Road by the same author should be). ;)

I haven't heard about the Kerouac book and I still have On the Road to be read :D Somehow I have the idea that I won't like Kerouac, even though I've never read him :readingtwo: Of course I'm going to try him out, but don't feel too keen on starting if you know what I mean.

I like 'epic' novels as well, but it does take a certain mood and set-of-mind to start reading those long novels. One epic novel which I think you might want to check out is A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth (it's on the 1001 Books list), it's about many different generations and I think it's set in India, which I also find fascinating since it's not something I regularly read. I've got that book and I read the first page in the charityshop where I bought it, and it reminded me of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, maybe not stylewise but themewise. I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy it!

And another long novel on Rory's list is The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber. Now, I don't know if it's an epic novel though. But I do remember that Emily was the one reading it when she was having a sort of crisis and didn't even bother dressing up in her house and had drinks even though it was only midday. She found it a brilliant read! :(

Of course there's the epic saga of Lord of the Rings :lol: If there's anyone who's up for that I'd be delighted to read it in a group because I don't think I'll ever be able to read it by myself :lol:

Of course there's the epic saga of Lord of the Rings :D If there's anyone who's up for that I'd be delighted to read it in a group because I don't think I'll ever be able to read it by myself :readingtwo:

I have tried that one and just couldn't do it alone. I do want to read it though and would be willing to have another go with you. :lol: It definitely feels like a 'support group' kind of read, in my opinion.

I'm up for a read of LotR - I try to re-read it every couple of years and it's about that time :readingtwo: I read The Crimson Petal & The White when it came out and loved it, there's a sequel called The Apple available too.

I've now read 130 pages of GwtW and I'm absolutely loving it, I seem to be paying a lot more attention to all the detail this tme round.

I have tried that one and just couldn't do it alone. I do want to read it though and would be willing to have another go with you. :lol: It definitely feels like a 'support group' kind of read, in my opinion.

Yes yes yes!! :D I am utterly relieved to have you do this with me! :readingtwo: Not in this month though, lol! And you too Fi!

Edit: Glad to hear you enjoyed The Crimson Petal and the White, Fi! :lol:

Edited by frankie

No, definitely not until we are done with GwtW! :readingtwo: Which, if we were running a marathon, I would be in last place right now. I haven't even finished the first chapter!

Do you want to do the whole trilogy, or just the first LotR book? I say if we do it we should do the whole trilogy. I hate leaving things unfinished.

My vote goes with the whole trilogy, you really should read the whole thing :lol: As for when, I'll go along with everyone else - I have absolutely nothing to do this year except read and waste time on the computer so can fit them in any time :readingtwo::D

CaliLily, you're not that far behind me, I'm on page 52 or so :lol: Lotr definitely after GwtW! :readingtwo:

I definitely want to read the whole trilogy, what would be the point in reading the first book only? I have no idea why the books are separated in the Rory List, I don't even think there's all three of them, only two? Very weird and un-Rorylike! ;)

Edit:

My vote goes with the whole trilogy, you really should read the whole thing :( As for when, I'll go along with everyone else - I have absolutely nothing to do this year except read and waste time on the computer so can fit them in any time :lol: :

Now why would you go and say this to us? Don't you know by now that we'll take total advantage of you now that we know this and will plan your whole reading year for you, according to what fits us best??

:D

Edited by frankie

Now why would you go and say this to us? Don't you know by now that we'll take total advantage of you now that we know this and will plan your whole reading year for you, according to what fits us best??

:readingtwo:

:D Because I'm an idiot! No, honestly I don't mind fitting in with you guys - the only time I won't be around is when I'm back in hospital but I'll still be taking books with me. Go ahead and plan :lol:

I definitely want to read the whole trilogy, what would be the point in reading the first book only? I have no idea why the books are separated in the Rory List, I don't even think there's all three of them, only two? Very weird and un-Rorylike! :lol:

:readingtwo:

That is very un-Rory like! I'm excited. Maybe Aprilish? March is going to be crazy for me with traveling and such. :D

Ooh! Ooh! Now I have a reason to make a list today! *plots loads books to make Fi read*

That is very un-Rory like! I'm excited. Maybe Aprilish? March is going to be crazy for me with traveling and such. :readingtwo:

Ooh! Ooh! Now I have a reason to make a list today! *plots loads books to make Fi read*

April is good with me :lol:

Go ahead and make a list - I'd be interested to see what you put on it! Hey, we could turn it into a personal challenge for me - get me reading some different stuff other than the fluff I seem to be stuck on :D

April is good with me :lol:

Go ahead and make a list - I'd be interested to see what you put on it! Hey, we could turn it into a personal challenge for me - get me reading some different stuff other than the fluff I seem to be stuck on :readingtwo:

Really? If you want to I love recommending books to people :D What are your favorite types of stories? Judging from the fact that you read Gone with the Wind, Twilight and LotR I'm guessing you have a pretty broad taste.

Oh boy :lol: I was out for 10 minutes (to start making dinner) and look what you've been talking about! CaliLily, we've got ourselves a literary guineapig! :lol: I love it! But, I do have to eat now (and watch another episode of the Gilmore Girls :D) so CaliLily go ahead and start planning, I'll be joining you guys later today :readingtwo:

Edit: Forgot to say that Aprilish is fine by me for LotR! And we definitely want to introduce you to stuff and get you out of fluff, Fi! ;)

Edited by frankie