#43 Kylie

Kylie

Multifaceted Abnormal

• Moderators
  • 13,298 posts
  • Reading now?:Deciding...
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:31 PM

I checked my copy of Gone with the Wind last night, thinking it was around 600 pages or something, but it's over 1,000! And the print is reasonably small too. :lol:

Still, I have committed to read it, so read it I shall. I may buy myself another copy though. Mine was secondhand and very cheap, and it looks a bit tatty.

I wasn't going to make a formal start time or anything but I do like to try and start/finish books within a month. I know I won't be able to get through this in the two weeks remaining in January so I might start this at the beginning of February. I'll probably read other books alongside it as well.

Frankie, please don't wait for me if you want to read Helter Skelter now! I probably wouldn't receive it before the end of January anyway, and then I have GwtW to read.

#44 AbielleRose

AbielleRose

Treat Wench

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,736 posts
  • Reading now?:Humans of New York Stories
  • LocationNorth Dakota

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:06 AM

I checked my copy of Gone with the Wind last night, thinking it was around 600 pages or something, but it's over 1,000! And the print is reasonably small too. :lol:

I just ordered Gone with the Wind! It should be here early next week :) I did get the mass market paperback version so hopefully it won't be too small. I hate that when you get a thick book and practically have to break the binding to see the words near the crease. ;)

#45 Kylie

Kylie

Multifaceted Abnormal

• Moderators
  • 13,298 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:19 AM

I hate them too. I guess that's the good thing about having a tatty secondhand copy - the spine is already well and truly broken so I don't have to worry too much about how I treat it.

Oh, and I should point out that just because I'm starting it in February, it doesn't mean anyone has to wait for me. Please start reading whenever you want! :lol:

It's going to be so encouraging for me to be reading this with other people, because I always put off reading long books. I've had this one for a few years now.

#46 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,729 posts
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:28 AM

What?? Is Gone with the Wind really over 1,000 pages?? I have to go and check my copy. Phew, my copy has only 894 pages. And I have to admit that I'm reading this one in Finnish, otherwise it would take me forever. I just love my copy, I bought it in a secondhand bookshop, it was only 3e, and it's a lovely and flexible paperback that's easy to read without having to crack the spines :lol:

I'm so happy about this whole Rory group of ours, it's so nice to chat about her list and the books, and get other people to read the same books so I'll have no excuses not to read them myself :)

#47 Kylie

Kylie

Multifaceted Abnormal

• Moderators
  • 13,298 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:57 AM

I'm so happy about this whole Rory group of ours, it's so nice to chat about her list and the books, and get other people to read the same books so I'll have no excuses not to read them myself :lol:

I agree Frankie. :) We might have to start up individual threads for the books seeing as we're going to have discussions about them, and then we can leave this thread for general discussion of the books. I'll set one up on Ella Minnow Pea (which I just finished; very interesting) and try to write a review in the next few days.

#48 AbielleRose

AbielleRose

Treat Wench

• Advanced Member
  • 5,736 posts
  • LocationNorth Dakota

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:00 AM

I think I will plan on reading GwtW in Feb alongside you. I can't promise to finish it in a month (1000 pages! Ouch!) but I am too excited about this little challenge to wait any longer :)

That is a great idea about starting new threads for the books/discussion. That way we don't spoil they for anyone who wants to read what we have just finished at a later date.

I'm so happy about this whole Rory group of ours, it's so nice to chat about her list and the books, and get other people to read the same books so I'll have no excuses not to read them myself :lol:

Our epic plot to take over the world is in motion! *Muhahahaha*

#49 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,729 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:38 AM

We might have to start up individual threads for the books seeing as we're going to have discussions about them, and then we can leave this thread for general discussion of the books. I'll set one up on Ella Minnow Pea (which I just finished; very interesting) and try to write a review in the next few days.

I agree about setting up threads for the individual books (of course we need to search first and see whether there's a thread for said book already), otherwise this thread will get out of hand :mrgreen: We can leave this thread for general discussion and figuring out what each of us reads next.

I think I will plan on reading GwtW in Feb alongside you. I can't promise to finish it in a month (1000 pages! Ouch!) but I am too excited about this little challenge to wait any longer :blush:

Cool! :haha: Then there's Fi as well (if she can hold till Feb that is) and we have a couple of weeks to see if there are any others. And of course if someone feels like giving the book a headstart already in January, it's fine by me. I do confess that now that we've chosen a book I can hardly wait to start reading it :)

Our epic plot to take over the world is in motion! *Muhahahaha*

;) Thanks CaliLily so much for realising we need this kind of thread, I would've been too shy I think to suggest it :lol:

Edit: I think I will have to buy myself a nice little notebook so I can take notes about these books! I've always wanted to take notes on the books I read but I'm totally too lazy for that but this time it's different because I do want to remember more than just "it was a great book!" when we're discussing the novels.

Edited by frankie, 13 January 2010 - 11:42 AM.

#50 AbielleRose

AbielleRose

Treat Wench

• Advanced Member
  • 5,736 posts
  • LocationNorth Dakota

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:14 PM

Edit: I think I will have to buy myself a nice little notebook so I can take notes about these books! I've always wanted to take notes on the books I read but I'm totally too lazy for that but this time it's different because I do want to remember more than just "it was a great book!" when we're discussing the novels.

You should see if they have a Gilmore Girls one! That would be epic! :lol:

I totally understand about wanting to remember more than 'Hmm...I liked it, its one of the best books I've read in a long time... what was it about? Um... it was really good?"

*Steals Frankies idea and makes a note to buy a book journal* I think I will play off your idea too and keep a journal while I read. At the end of each day I will try and write at least a few sentences down about what I read and how I liked it/it made me feel. Thanks Frankie!

#51 Lucybird

Lucybird

Wind-Up Bird

• Advanced Member
  • 3,451 posts
  • Reading now?:Delusions of Gender
  • LocationBirmingham UK

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:03 PM

I copied the list last night, and marked out what I've read and what I want to read (but can probably be persuaded to read more).

What I want to read:
Atonement by Ian McEwan
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
Beloved by Toni Morrison
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
Charlotte's Web by E. B. White
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
Emma by Jane Austen
Fahrenheit 9/11 by Michael Moore
The Fellowship of the Ring: Book 1 of The Lord of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
George W. Bushism: The Slate Book of the Accidental Wit and Wisdom of our 43rd President by Jacob Weisberg
The Gnostic Gospels by Elaine Pagels
The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
The Gospel According to Judy Bloom
The Graduate by Charles Webb
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Hamlet by William Shakespeare
Henry IV, part I by William Shakespeare
Henry IV, part II by William Shakespeare
Henry V by William Shakespeare
High Fidelity by Nick Hornby
The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo (Have started this one as a reading circle book on here but couldn't get past the first 100 pages, still I may go back to it)
Macbeth by William Shakespeare
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
Rapunzel by Grimm Brothers
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
The Return of the King: The Lord of the Rings Book 3 by J. R. R. Tolkien
Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Slaughter-house Five by Kurt Vonnegut
Snow White and Rose Red by Grimm Brothers
The Sonnets by William Shakespeare
Sophie's Choice by William Styron
Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom
The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire
The Wizard of Oz by Frank L. Baum
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bront�
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

And have read:

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bront�
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling
Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen
The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom
The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger
Brick Lane by Monica Ali
Babe by Dick King-Smith
Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt
Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (but so long ago my Mum actually read it to me)
1984 by George Orwell

Am not actually thinking I will read all the ones I want to but will add what I have or can borrow to my TBR pile and the others can go on my bookmooch wishlist

#52 Fi

Fi

In a sparkly daze...

• 1,966 posts
  • Reading now?:The Woken Gods - Gwenda Bond
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:07 PM

Cool! :) Then there's Fi as well (if she can hold till Feb that is) and we have a couple of weeks to see if there are any others. And of course if someone feels like giving the book a headstart already in January, it's fine by me. I do confess that now that we've chosen a book I can hardly wait to start reading it :friends0:

I can definitely hold until February - gives my Mum a few weeks to actually find her copy :censored: Really looking forward to it now :) Oh, and i've added the full list to my reading list on here, complete with coloured highlights!

#53 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,729 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:32 PM

I can definitely hold until February - gives my Mum a few weeks to actually find her copy :friends0: Really looking forward to it now :censored: Oh, and I've added the full list to my reading list on here, complete with coloured highlights!

Great :)

Lucybird, I see Gone with the Wind is on your list of books you'd like to read off the list, does that mean you want to join our February reading circle? If you've already mentioned you want to participate I must've missed your post.

I was thinking, since Lucybird made that extensive list of the books she'd like to read off the list, maybe I could take a look at her list and post what I'd like to read off it, and then the next person could take a look at my list and the next person take a look at her list. That way we can pretty easily narrow down all the books we have in the common would-like-to-read -list. Did that make any sense?

I would definitely be up for these:

Beloved by Toni Morrison
The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo (Have started this one as a reading circle book on here but couldn't get past the first 100 pages, still I may go back to it)
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

#54 Fi

Fi

In a sparkly daze...

• 1,966 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:37 PM

Great :censored:

I was thinking, since Lucybird made that extensive list of the books she'd like to read off the list, maybe I could take a look at her list and post what I'd like to read off it, and then the next person could take a look at my list and the next person take a look at her list. That way we can pretty easily narrow down all the books we have in the common would-like-to-read -list. Did that make any sense?

Good idea - I'm up for these. I think that's your list minus one Frankie :friends0:

Beloved by Toni Morrison
The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo

#55 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,729 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:43 PM

Nice, still many many choices :friends0: I hope Kylie and CaliLily and others that are interested will comment soon so we'll have an idea about the 'final' list. Me excited!!

About the notebooks, I went to the bookstore today and bought lots of nice pens, post-its, and some paper to scribble on. I was looking for notepads as well but the cheaper ones were ugly and the pretty ones were too expensive.

CaliLily, I didn't see any GG notepads, but I did see Hello Kitty merchandise which would satisfy the GG's since they are into that kind of thing. Too bad I don't like Hello Kitty myself =/

#56 Lucybird

Lucybird

Wind-Up Bird

• Advanced Member
  • 3,451 posts
  • Reading now?:Delusions of Gender
  • LocationBirmingham UK

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:46 PM

Yes I shall borrow Gone with the Wind off Mum, luckily it's one I should easily be able to get hold of.

Oh and Frankie have you seen the ladybird note books (note books with the covers from ladybird fairytale books)? I think penguin do similar ones too. Rory would approve I think!

Edited by Lucybird, 14 January 2010 - 10:49 PM.

#57 Fi

Fi

In a sparkly daze...

• 1,966 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:49 PM

I already keep a book journal but I got a stack of really pretty ones for Christmas. I might use one just for the Rory Challenge which of course means I'll have to go out & buy lots of pretty new pens to write with :friends0:

#58 AbielleRose

AbielleRose

Treat Wench

• Advanced Member
  • 5,736 posts
  • LocationNorth Dakota

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:52 PM

Nice, still many many choices :censored: I hope Kylie and CaliLily and others that are interested will comment soon so we'll have an idea about the 'final' list. Me excited!!

About the notebooks, I went to the bookstore today and bought lots of nice pens, post-its, and some paper to scribble on. I was looking for notepads as well but the cheaper ones were ugly and the pretty ones were too expensive.

CaliLily, I didn't see any GG notepads, but I did see Hello Kitty merchandise which would satisfy the GG's since they are into that kind of thing. Too bad I don't like Hello Kitty myself =/

I have yet to put the finishing touches on my list, I'll be posting it later tonight though! :)

That's too bad there weren't any GG ones. Hello Kitty is kind of disturbing. I have 2 journals- one is a black and white Japanese style one with a red cherry blossom in the middle and the other is just a run of the mill legal pad. I LOVE legal pads for some reason and go through them like peanuts at a baseball game!

I'm so excited that so many of us will be reading GwtW next month! :friends0: This is going to be great!

#59 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,729 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:57 PM

Yes I shall borrow Gone with the Wind off Mum, luckily it's one I should easily be able to get hold of.

Oh and Frankie have you seen the ladybird note books (note books with the covers from ladybird fairytale books)? I think penguin do similar ones too. Rory would approve I think!

Lucybird nice to hear you'll be also reading GwtW :)

I don't think I've seen the ladybird notebooks, I have to confess I don't think I've even heard of the ladybird fairytale books, maybe we don't have those books here. There were a lot of Moomin notepads and other stuff though, but I don't think GG's are aware of those little creatures...

Fi if I were you I would get a special notebook for the GG challenge :censored: Along with pens of course. I felt like a young schoolgirl at the shops today, like it was the start of a new schoolyear :friends0: What a happy feeling!

Edit: CaliLily, are legal pads the ones that have the horizontal lines only, no vertical ones? If so, I love those! Especially the yellow ones. I didn't see those in the bookshop though :) I only saw them at this normal store but didn't buy them because I figured I'd get them at the bookshop. Hmph!!

Edited by frankie, 14 January 2010 - 11:00 PM.

#60 Fi

Fi

In a sparkly daze...

• 1,966 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:02 PM

Fi's Rory Challenge Shopping list

Pretty notebook(s) - there's no way I could just buy one!
Pretty pen(s) - ditto :friends0:

I think I'm going to have to root through my remaining boxes of books to find my copy of GwtW - have realised my Mum's copy is slightly impractical for reading in bed as it's a huge hardback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users