Rory Gilmore's Book List Challenge

AbielleRose

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up a copy today, first time I've gone into Waterstones and only bought one book for ages! I have a 9/11 memoir to read first though, I actually want to review it on my blog on 9/11 (or 11/9 as it should be!)

Oh, I didn't find the cancer episode that depressing but the tone does definitely change to a more hopeful one after the first chapter. I think I'm enjoying it because it's someone who is just making the best of things, and understanding that sometimes you just have to take what life throws at you. Yes, there will be problems and frustrations, but just try to deal with it the best way you can.

I confess, I had to skip some of the introductory bits, I found them somewhat pretentious, boring and annoying, maybe? But then I started reading the real story and am enjoying it, I've read maybe 70 pages, I don't know. Should be a great read :)

I'm about 40 pages or so in and enjoying it ok, I did read through all the introductory bits - and was pleased to find the suggestion that people who don't like memoirs should just pretend it's fiction. That might work for me! :)

I finished it yesterday. Here's what I thought about it (basically copied from my own book list thread):

The book is a memoir of sorts, but the quirky introduction, preface and even the copyright page, let you know that this is something a bit different. The opening chapter describes how at 22 years old, Dave's parents died with a few months of each other, and how he is left to bring up his 8 year old brother, with the help of his sister (and to some extent his older brother). It's a mix of memoir and stream of consciousness, and it's sad and funny, and every emotion is laid bare on the page. At times it was flinch-inducingly cringeworthy, and at other times I felt tears spring to my eyes, then a few pages later I would be angry, followed by grinning at the ridiculousness of a particular incident.

What I particularly liked about the writing, was that it was about the author, and although his siblings and friends were there on the pages, they were ghosts rather than fully fleshed out people. What I mean by that is that Eggers doesn't try to explain them or their feelings or even their personality, but just lays down enough background about them to allow you to understand his own thoughts and emotions about each particular episode in his life.

Overall, I would rate it 4/5, as I thought it was a fascinating, thought provoking read.

• 1 month later...

OK, so I finished this ages ago - but I can only bear to write about it now! I really should only read fiction - but I like to try something new and always think I will enjoy it! Suffice to say, I thought of this book as "A Mildly Interesting Work of Self-Indulgence". Sorry

I had quite enjoyed the beginning, where his mother is dying - I thought it really brought to life what caring for a dying relative is like. But after she had died and he was bringing up his brother? Oh dear. :(

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so I finished this ages ago - but I can only bear to write about it now! I really should only read fiction - but I like to try something new and always think I will enjoy it! Suffice to say, I thought of this book as "A Mildly Interesting Work of Self-Indulgence". Sorry

Yes, thank you Ooshie! Now I don't feel bad about feeling that way about the book myself :friends0: I still have 30 pages left of the book and I just can't pick the book up to finish it. :rolleyes:

I hate it that you've been such a good person and have tried reading non-fiction, and that some of the books you've chosen to read (or, have read for either reading circle or this challenge, this book and Reading Lolita in Tehran come to mind) have been just unlucky choices. I assure you there are better non-fiction books to be read! But I wouldn't blame you for not wanting to try anymore :blush:

• 5 weeks later...

I've been having a look through the Rory list again today, and there are quite a few books on it that I don't want to even attempt and I know will never read, that I've realised that I'm never going to actually complete reading all the books on the list, and I'm therefore not going to keep going with the challenge. That said, I'm still obviously going to keep watching Gilmore Girls and if you guys are reading a book that I like the look of, I'll join in with the group read and discussion. I'm going to have a look at some of the other reading challenges and find one that I might actually be able to finish instead!

• 2 months later...

Is anyone reading anything from this at the moment? I'm buying books to take to Venice with me and thought I might buy a couple of Rory ones

Not at the moment, but Valley of the Dolls has been on my read sooner rather than later list, but maybe you all read that already?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello fellow Roryites! :)

Chesilbeach and I were discussing her TBR list and how she has The Opposite of Fate by Amy Tan to read in the near future. I also have it on my TBR but have never gotten around to reading it, and we thought we could see if any of you others would like to join us in reading the book as a group?

Hello fellow Roryites! :)

Chesilbeach and I were discussing her TBR list and how she has The Opposite of Fate by Amy Tan to read in the near future. I also have it on my TBR but have never gotten around to reading it, and we thought we could see if any of you others would like to join us in reading the book as a group?

I'll be up for reading a Rory book, I was thinking the other day that I havent read one in a while :)

I started reading this thread from page 1 and I had quite a few giggles over the old conversations. This made me LOL:

WTH is a hump day?! laugh.gif

:D

It seems like there are rather few of us these days who are interested in the challenge or group reads, or is it just me who thinks so? It feels very quiet in this thread nowadays :(

I'll be up for reading a Rory book, I was thinking the other day that I havent read one in a while :)

Yay, I'm happy you are in :) I'm not sure when chesilbeach is going to start with the book, I believe she is going to read through her envy-enducingly small TBR pile in some particular order but I don't know where The Opposite of Fate stands on that.