Rory Gilmore's Book List Challenge

AbielleRose

I still have Rebecca to go, if you're interested? I've read The House of Sand and Fog, Little Women and Emma now, and gave up on Kavalier and Clay. Oh and I have The Wizard of Oz on my TBR pile too now

I'm definitely interested! I have Rebecca on my list of 'must read in 2014' books. But I've currently got two reading circle books to read before I get to it. If you want to start it now, I'll be happy to chime in on the discussion later.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm definitely interested! I have Rebecca on my list of 'must read in 2014' books. But I've currently got two reading circle books to read before I get to it. If you want to start it now, I'll be happy to chime in on the discussion later.

I can wait, I was thinking of reading The Rosie Project next anyway.

• 2 months later...

Did you guys start Rebecca

I'm currently reading Vanity Fair which is another Rory book. I remember people on here were reading the book in 2010, because I was hauling my copy to Kylie's... So I thought it was a reading circle book. However, when I did a search for the thread, I couldn't find an RC thread for the book. But I did find this thread amongst the ones where the book is talked about... So now I'm wondering, if it was a Rory group read that did the book in 2010? :shrug: Or am I imagining things. 

Edit: I just went and checked the Fast Finder thread for the RC books and found the RC thread for Vanity Fair. But how did it not come up in the search? :o I did the search twice, and no typos no nothing. The thread should have come up :shrug: 

Edited by frankie

• 5 months later...

Wow, this thread has been on hiatus for ~ half a year!

I was going through my book lists on my reading log, making sure that they were all up-to-date, and going through the Rory Gilmore reading challenge posts made me think of this thread and you guys. 

Has anyone been reading any of the books on the list? :shrug: 

I'm not specifically doing this challenge (but I am looking forward to seeing the show), but in the past half year I've read:

George Orwell - 1984

Stephen King - Carrie

Stephen King - The Shining

Based on a quick glance of the list on the first page, I have also read:

Mark Haddon - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

Daniel Keyes - Flowers for Algernon

J. K. Rowling - Harry Potter 3: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

J. K. Rowling - Harry Potter 1: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Charlotte Brontë - Jane Eyre

Jodi Picoult - My Sister's Keeper

Stephen Chbosky - The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Audrey Niffenegger - The Time Traveler's Wife

Harper Lee - To Kill a Mockingbird

I didn't end up reading Rebecca. In fact, I completely forgot (and my Dad got sick soon after I posted that, so I probably wouldn't have read it anyway).

However, without specifically setting out to read books from the list, I have read a few in the past few months:

Mitch Albom The Five People You Meet in Heaven

Mitch Albom Tuesdays with Morrie

Erik Larsson The Devil in the White City

The first two were reasonably enjoyable, and The Devil in the White City was utterly brilliant—probably my favourite book of the year! :)

I didn't end up reading Rebecca. In fact, I completely forgot (and my Dad got sick soon after I posted that, so I probably wouldn't have read it anyway).

Yeah, when nobody replied to the post, I sort of gathered nobody was reading it, at least not as a group read.  :empathy: 

However, without specifically setting out to read books from the list, I have read a few in the past few months:

Mitch Albom The Five People You Meet in Heaven

Mitch Albom Tuesdays with Morrie

Erik Larsson The Devil in the White City

The first two were reasonably enjoyable, and The Devil in the White City was utterly brilliant—probably my favourite book of the year! :)

You've had more progress with the Rory list than me, I think I've only read one book off the lists this year :blush: I can't even remember which book it was :D Oh yes, must've been Vanity Fair

I know you rated TDitWC very highly and I'm glad to hear it's still fresh in your memory as utterly brilliant. It's one of the books on the list that I really, really want to read :) I should check if they have copies at the library...   Oh yes, they do! :exc: Wohoo! 

Edited by frankie

Yay! I hope you get to read it soon. :)

I don't often write reviews anymore, but I really want to write one for The Devil in the White City. It's definitely still fresh in my mind, even though I read it several months ago. That's the mark of a really brilliant book, I think! (Although unfortunately the really bad books tend to stick in my mind too.)

Yay! I hope you get to read it soon. :)

I don't often write reviews anymore, but I really want to write one for The Devil in the White City. It's definitely still fresh in my mind, even though I read it several months ago. That's the mark of a really brilliant book, I think! (Although unfortunately the really bad books tend to stick in my mind too.)

It will probably take some time, because I have loads of books I want to read as it is :blush: But I'll try! You can do a little pushing if you want :giggle2: Oh and I've been thinking about reading The Phantom Tollbooth soon, now that I have my mojo back! :exc: It's such a short book that I'm sure it won't take a lot of time to read and therefore I can really concentrate on it :yes: 

What's happened to our book reviewing :( Yikes! But do write one of TDitWC at least! :smile2: I don't know if it's the pressure of having to write them, or if it's the pressure of the ideal review one would like to write... I've been thinking I'm going to start doing really mini-mini-mini reviews. A couple of sentences and that's it. No pressure! Bam!!

• 3 weeks later...

Gilmore Girls was put on Netflix about a month or two ago and I have been re-watching the whole series, which just makes me want to do this challenge even more than I did before.  :D  :D  :D  :D

Definitely part of my goals for 2015 reading. 

But I'll try! You can do a little pushing if you want :giggle2: Oh and I've been thinking about reading The Phantom Tollbooth soon, now that I have my mojo back! :exc: It's such a short book that I'm sure it won't take a lot of time to read and therefore I can really concentrate on it :yes:

What's happened to our book reviewing :( Yikes! But do write one of TDitWC at least! :smile2: I don't know if it's the pressure of having to write them, or if it's the pressure of the ideal review one would like to write... I've been thinking I'm going to start doing really mini-mini-mini reviews. A couple of sentences and that's it. No pressure! Bam!!

Hurry up and read The Phantom Tollbooth, woman!

I haven't done proper reviews for at least a couple of years now. I just gave up because I never had time and felt too much pressure. :( And I hated my reviews because they were never very good. I kind of wish I had tried harder to keep up though, because when I read my old reviews now, they remind me of things that I have since forgotten about the books.

I didn't realise The Shining was on the list. Ooh yay, will get to cross it off ;)

Yay! Like Frankie said, I love it when you 'accidentally' read a book off the list. The Rory list has so many great books on it that it's bound to happen occasionally.

Gilmore Girls was put on Netflix about a month or two ago and I have been re-watching the whole series, which just makes me want to do this challenge even more than I did before.  :D

Excellent! I'm going to try to read a few books from the list in 2015. And I'm due for a re-watch of the whole series. It must be a couple of months since I last finished watching it!

• 3 weeks later...

It will be my challenge for 2015!

This is great news! :exc: I'm looking forward to seeing which books you read off the Rory list. I hope I can join you on a few reads!

Gilmore Girls was put on Netflix about a month or two ago and I have been re-watching the whole series, which just makes me want to do this challenge even more than I did before.  

Great to hear you are also planning on doing more books off the list next year! :exc:

Hurry up and read The Phantom Tollbooth, woman!

Daaaamn! I've been waiting for you to hassle me about this earlier!! I really want to read it, but I have tooooo many library books. I'm still finding the novelty of new libraries and different selections a great way to pass my time that I need a good nudge to read something else besides the library books :blush:

I haven't done proper reviews for at least a couple of years now. I just gave up because I never had time and felt too much pressure. :( And I hated my reviews because they were never very good. I kind of wish I had tried harder to keep up though, because when I read my old reviews now, they remind me of things that I have since forgotten about the books.

I know what you mean about the pressure and thinking the reviews are not good enough. And I also know what you mean about going back to the older reviews and being delighted to see all the details written down. I've noticed that if I don't write reviews, I have a lot harder time trying to remember what happened in a book :blush:

But we should really forget about the pressure. We should remember that we're writing the reviews for our own sake and from our own viewpoints. They are as good as we think they are. If they benefit someone else, that's just an added bonus :yes:

Excellent! I'm going to try to read a few books from the list in 2015. And I'm due for a re-watch of the whole series. It must be a couple of months since I last finished watching it!

I really want to start watching the series, too, have been wanting to for a while but my friend still has the first two seasons. :blush:

By the way, I went to visit a new-to-me library in Helsinki a week ago and found a copy of What Happened to Baby Jane? and the title sounded familiar and I thought it must be a book on some reading challenge or another. Sure enough, when I got a chance to check my list, I found out that it's on the Rory list :exc:

Daaaamn! I've been waiting for you to hassle me about this earlier!! I really want to read it, but I have tooooo many library books. I'm still finding the novelty of new libraries and different selections a great way to pass my time that I need a good nudge to read something else besides the library books :blush:

You don't have to wait for me to hassle you...just read it!! :D

I read Girl, Interrupted this week. I went in with low expectations so I was very pleasantly surprised. I had a couple of niggles, but overall I really enjoyed it. I was even surprised to find some parts of the movie in there; I had assumed that the book and the movie would be nothing like.

You don't have to wait for me to hassle you...just read it!! :D

But I've wanted and needed the hassle! I've needed the reminder :D:blush:  :friends3: 

I read Girl, Interrupted this week. I went in with low expectations so I was very pleasantly surprised. I had a couple of niggles, but overall I really enjoyed it. I was even surprised to find some parts of the movie in there; I had assumed that the book and the movie would be nothing like.

I'm so happy that you enjoyed it!! :smile2: Do you think you were able to enjoy it more because you expected it to be rubbish, because of what I said? Or do you think that even without my comments you would've enjoyed it as much?

Oh wow!! Talk about what just happened to Alexi and reading books off the list by accident! :D I'm currently reading She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb and I searched the first page of my reading log just to see if I had the book on my wishlist, and the search came up with three entries, one of them being in a Rory list! :exc::D If I hadn't done the search, I never would've known. I had no idea the book's on the list! I only know about Wally Lamb because some people on here have read his books and talk about them.

I've read only about 10-20 pages but seems good so far. I think I will enjoy it. It's a long one, 500 or so pages.

Edit: Although in general, I have to say that I think some of the books on the list are there because they have been mentioned in the series, but they've been mentioned as movies. Has anyone else noticed that?

Edited by frankie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I was re-reading this thread from random page (20) onwards and by golly, I miss the times when we did our little group reads on the Rory novels  :wibbly:  Those were some fun times! This thread was packed and lively! 

Edit: I recently started watching Fresh off the Boat and it made me think of Amy Tan, and I've also been interested in reading Natalie Goldberg's books on writing, and now re-reading this thread has made me think I really ought to read Amy Tan's The Opposite of Fate. Some of us read it for the Rory challenge a few years ago. I was also reading it and loving it but for some reason I never managed to finish it. I only had maybe 40-50 pages left but something came up :(  I'm seriously considering picking up the book again for the booktubeathon next week. Would anyone else be interested in reading the book? Those of you who haven't read it yet, that is. 

Edited by frankie

• 1 year later...

Okay, we need to compile a list of the books mentioned and referred to in the new GG season :D If anyone finds a list, please post here! I'd really appreciate it! I'm off to google, myself. 

Edit: I found this and I'm now going to make a list. 

Edited by frankie

The List provided by these two sources here and here.

Irvine Welsh: Trainspotting
Mark Twain: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
J. R. R. Tolkien: The Lord of the Rings
Walt Whitman: Leaves of Grass

(there are other titles in the picture on the link. “Some other favorites featured include Proust and Euclid. “)
Jack Kerouac: On the Road
Marie Kondo: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying up
Sun Tzu: The Art of War
David Foster Wallace: Consider the Lobster
Cheryl Strayed: Wild
Leo Tolstoy: Anna Karenina
Sholem Aleichem: Tevya The Dairyman and the Railroad Stories 
Edward Albee: Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf 

Nora Ephron: I Feel Bad About My Neck and Other Thoughts on Being a Woman  

Oscar Wilde: The Picture of Dorian Gray

Karl Ove Knausgård: My Struggle

Edmond Rostand: Cyrano de Bergerac

Arthur Miller: Death of a Salesman 

Charlotte Brontë: Jane Eyre

David Mitchell: Cloud Atlas 

Diana Gabaldon: Outlander

George R.R. Martin: Game of Thrones

William Wordsworth: Ode: Intimations of Immortality from Recollections of Early Childhood

Elizabeth Gilbert: Eat, Pray, Love

William Shakespeare: Macbeth

Jack London: Call of the Wild

Laura Ingalls Wilder: Little House in the Big Woods

Edited by frankie

Ooh, thanks Frankie! I didn't pick up on all of these as the show aired, but I'm glad someone was paying closer attention. I'd say around half of these books were referenced in the original series. And according to the spreadsheet I keep, Huck Finn has been referenced more times than any other book. :)