Rory Gilmore's Book List Challenge

AbielleRose

My friends used to watch it all the time when it ran here a few years ago (Is it still running?)

I've never owned a television set though :hide: - so missed this.

(I even caught Friends on DVD - a long time after it stopped running - :blush2: )

I'm tempted to get the Gilmore Girls DVD now!

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My friends used to watch it all the time when it ran here a few years ago (Is it still running?)

Unfortunately they stopped doing the show after the seventh season, that was I can't remember exactly when but maybe 3-5 years ago? You have some really cool friends if they watched the show ;):D

I've never owned a television set though :hide: - so missed this.

(I even caught Friends on DVD - a long time after it stopped running - :blush2: )

I'm tempted to get the Gilmore Girls DVD now!

I think everyone on here would agree with me when I encourage you to acquire the first season and watch it, and then take it from there. I've yet to come across a person on here who's gotten the DVDs on our recommendation and has then been disappointed in the show after having watched it :smile2:

I think everyone on here would agree with me when I encourage you to acquire the first season and watch it, and then take it from there. I've yet to come across a person on here who's gotten the DVDs on our recommendation and has then been disappointed in the show after having watched it :smile2:

I would be one of these people. I don't think I'd even heard of The Gilmore Girls before joining BCF, and based on the lovely people here, I bought and watched all seven series on DVD and watched them compulsively! :lol: Good stuff. :smile2:

Oh no! First, you lot get me to buy more books than I normally do, and now its DVDs!

This site should come with a warning at registration :D

• 1 month later...

Darn! I almost bought this yesterday, but the edition I found was a movie tie-in (which I hate) and a bit tatty, so I thought I'd give it a miss and try to find a better copy at a book fair in a couple of weeks' time. Given I don't get much time to read lately anyway, I probably wouldn't be able to join in, but I look forward to everyone's thoughts. :) Speaking of GG, I have just finished watching S3 for the umpteenth time. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I think there are still quite a few of us who are doing the challenge but for some reason we've been rather quiet on here, and apart from the two Amy Tan books we haven't done any group readings in ages, I think. I didn't take part in The Joy Luck Club challenge, it was way too soon for me, and I didn't manage to finish The Opposite of Faith, either, because I got distracted by something else, I can't remember what.... :( Which is a real shame because I loved the book and was looking forward to discussing it with the other people who were reading the book.

I finished The Secret Life of Bees last night, and I discovered this morning when I was doing my lists on my reading log that it was a Rory book! :exc: What a great read it was, too!

Lucy, were you thinking about us doing another group reading, possibly? Depending on which book gets chosen, I might be up for that :) And hey, it's good to have you back! I hope life's been treating you good :):friends3:

Edit: I wonder if bree ever got the DVDs and watched them, and got hooked :giggle:

I didn't take part in The Joy Luck Club challenge, it was way too soon for me

That was my fault for reading it too quickly, sorry frankie :blush:

I'm not really following the challenge anymore, but I do like taking part in the group readings, so I'd be interested to see what the next one might be. :)

I'm still doing the challenge too, although I don't actively choose books from the list to read. I tend to buy them and then forget that they're on the list until I just happen to read them. I have 95 of the books on my TBR pile now. :o Maybe this year I will actively try to knock some off the list.

I read Gone With The Wind, which i loved loads! I cant believe that i hadnt read it before and its now one of my favourite books!

I also read The Wonderful Wizard of Oz which i had read when i was very little but couldnt remember much about it!

Ah yes, Gone with the Wind! :wub: It was really amazing, I remember wondering why I'd never read it earlier myself, after finishing the novel. Definitely re-reading material for the future! :)

That was my fault for reading it too quickly, sorry frankie :blush:

No need to apologize, I was dragging behind with my other reading and other stuff to do, otherwise I could've made it :empathy: I completely understand that you wanted to read it straight after TOoF, because you were so into Tan at the time, I don't blame you at all and bear no grudge :D

I'm still doing the challenge too, although I don't actively choose books from the list to read. I tend to buy them and then forget that they're on the list until I just happen to read them. I have 95 of the books on my TBR pile now. :o Maybe this year I will actively try to knock some off the list.

I haven't been actively choosing books off the list either, for quite a while, but at the turn of the year I thought I'd make more of an effort regarding this challenge and the 1001 Books challenge.

I say if you guys would like, you could give a shout when you're starting a Rory book, just in case there's someone in between reads and would like to tag along for the ride :) I'll try and remember to do the same. You don't have to, of course, it's just an idea :)

I've read (links lead to reviews on my blog, because it's where I got my list from):

1984 by George Orwell

Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

Angela’s Ashes by Frank McCourt

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

Babe by Dick King-Smith

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

Brick Lane by Monica Ali

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger

The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

The Da Vinci -Code by Dan Brown

Deenie by Judy Blume

Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom

Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J. K. Rowling

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby

How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss

The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo (abandoned at 100 pages)

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest by Ken Kesey

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

The Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Rapunzel by Grimm Brothers

Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Snow White and Rose Red by Grimm Brothers

The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray (abandoned)

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

And have:

Songbook by Nick Hornby

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon

Emma by Jane Austen

on my TBR pile, so would ideally want to read one of those next.

And have:

Songbook by Nick Hornby

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon

Emma by Jane Austen

on my TBR pile, so would ideally want to read one of those next.

Of these I think I would only like to read Rebecca, the others are books that I've already read or don't feel like reading in the near future and some are titles I know I'm not going to find at the library and I can't be spending any money on books at the moment :(

• 1 year later...

I still have Rebecca to go, if you're interested? I've read The House of Sand and Fog, Little Women and Emma now, and gave up on Kavalier and Clay. Oh and I have The Wizard of Oz on my TBR pile too now