Rory Gilmore's Book List Challenge

AbielleRose

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm certain you did encourage me! It's definitely not a book I would have bought for myself. I think you must have recognised it as a Rory book at the time. I bet there's evidence around here somewhere...:P

I'm certain you did encourage me! It's definitely not a book I would have bought for myself. I think you must have recognised it as a Rory book at the time. I bet there's evidence around here somewhere... :P

I certainly didn't come to you with the book and encourage you to buy it. You must've picked it up yourself. When you were going through the books, I might've mentioned that it is on the Rory list so therefore it might make a good purchase. I confess to nothing more! :cool:

Actually, I don't think it was from the book fair after all. I'm nearly absolutely certain it was from the local secondhand bookshop. :) I know my memory isn't crash hot all the time, but I know you picked it out and showed it to me. I can actually picture exactly where we were in the shop! But yes, I'll take responsibility for buying it, and I'm glad I did. :) Thank you. :flowers2: (See? Not blaming. Giving credit. ;))

You probably just liked watching me buy books. Hehe. Had you perhaps heard good reviews of the book and/or movie? You did point out a lot of GG books to me while you were here, so I think it's more to do with that. I just found where I posted my book haul for that day, but unfortunately I neither blamed nor credited you with any of the purchases. :giggle: I bought Sybil on the same day, though! Is that a Rory book?

You probably just liked watching me buy books.

This was and is always true! ;)

Hehe. Had you perhaps heard good reviews of the book and/or movie?

I don't think I had...

You did point out a lot of GG books to me while you were here, so I think it's more to do with that.

Very likely!

I just found where I posted my book haul for that day, but unfortunately I neither blamed nor credited you with any of the purchases. :giggle: I bought Sybil on the same day, though! Is that a Rory book?

Yep, it's a Rory book, although I think they spoke about the movie rather than the book. I've read it, it's great. Marshall also reads that in The United States of Tara, s01e01 :cool:

Do you remember the date and the exact shop?

Apparently it was the weekend of 6-7 November 2010. I can't remember the name of the shop, but it was in the arcade in Penrith. We also bought me a bookcase from IKEA that weekend. Happy days. :D

Oh, I never noticed Marshall reading that book! I remember I was very excited to find Sybil because you had already hyped it up. :)

I can't remember the name of the shop, but it was in the arcade in Penrith.

I believe it is called the Elizabeth Arcade :cool:

We also bought me a bookcase from IKEA that weekend. Happy days. :D

On the 6th you also gave me your copy of Paul Auster's The New York Trilogy, and I got Paterson's Bridge to Terabithia, Schreiber's The One that Got Away and Hotchner's Doris Day - Her Own Story (!!!) from the arcade. We also talked to the nice shopkeeper about Day and some other stuff. I wonder if it was a day when you and I took a lot of books back to the shop to get credit, but on the other hand I think (the?) one time we did so we only got like 10 dollars and you got a Horror Mammoth Book for that or something along those lines. I remember very clearly finding the Doris Day book but I can't remember The Joy Luck Club! :(

I remember I was very excited to find Sybil because you had already hyped it up. :)

Hehe :) You should read it!

I read 80 pages of the book at the park, I have 100 pages to go + the extra material at the end :) Claire, I wish you would already own a copy of The Joy Luck Club :giggle:

Kylie, Tan's dedicated a chapter to Nabokov and his novel Lolita ;) If that doesn't make you want to read the book, I don't know what does!

Ah, yep, that'll get me in! It's going on my wish list now, but I probably won't get it any time soon. I'm back to being very strict with myself about buying books.

I'm still jealous of your Doris Day find. I always look out for it at that book shop (I don't know why - what's the likelihood that they'll get in a second copy?)

Ah, yep, that'll get me in! It's going on my wish list now, but I probably won't get it any time soon. I'm back to being very strict with myself about buying books.

Oh I'm sorry, for some reason I thought you already had a copy. I wouldn't have teased you with that otherwise! Silly me. :blush:

I'm still jealous of your Doris Day find. I always look out for it at that book shop (I don't know why - what's the likelihood that they'll get in a second copy?)

Hehe :) I don't usually say this, but I felt like I deserved to find that book, it was ages ago when I watched a document on her and learnt that she'd written an autobio. The book must've been on my wishlist for years! It was one of my best finds in Australia. Well, among many other great finds :giggle: (She's one of my favorite 'golden olden' actors. And she's led such an eventful life!)

• 1 month later...

Rory's List (in alphabetical order)

The Bhagava Gita

I'm not familiar with with TV series - but am surprised to see The Bhagwad Gita mentioned!

It is the holy book of the Hindus - around 700 Sanskrit verses - which deal with life, death, yoga, duty, desires and karma amongst other things.

It is usually taught by Sanskrit scholars to grasp its meaning and discuss its interpretations and implications.

I once attempted the English translation - and gave up all too quickly - with relief!

I'm curious to know if anyone actually read this?

THIS LIST FORGOT OLIVER TWIST!!!!!! jess & rory blatantly talk about oliver twist hello

The list at the beginning of this thread is a list that the WB put on its website for fans of the show. They never said it was a complete list, and neither did we.

By the way, it's really not a good idea to join a forum and start shouting at people in your first post. :sarcastic:

THIS LIST FORGOT OLIVER TWIST!!!!!! jess & rory blatantly talk about oliver twist hello

And going on from what Kylie said, if you're going to use a lot of capitals, please at least endeavour to put them in the appropriate places, ie at the beginning of names and book titles. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not familiar with with TV series - but am surprised to see The Bhagwad Gita mentioned!

It is the holy book of the Hindus - around 700 Sanskrit verses - which deal with life, death, yoga, duty, desires and karma amongst other things.

It is usually taught by Sanskrit scholars to grasp its meaning and discuss its interpretations and implications.

I once attempted the English translation - and gave up all too quickly - with relief!

I'm curious to know if anyone actually read this?

I've not read it, and I know that it's not really a typical book on any reading challenge list. I can't remember where it was mentioned in the TV series, but then again, the Gilmore girls and the rest of the characters make such various references to all kinds of cultural (/political/religious/what not) phenomena that nothing on the list can come as a really big surprise :)

Bree, I would definitely recommend you watch the show if you ever get the opportunity, it's great! :) Although, of course I would say that, I'm a fan after all, and I'm doing the Rory Gilmore reading challenge, aren't I? :D