Rory Gilmore's Book List Challenge

AbielleRose

Edit: I think I will have to buy myself a nice little notebook so I can take notes about these books! I've always wanted to take notes on the books I read but I'm totally too lazy for that but this time it's different because I do want to remember more than just "it was a great book!" when we're discussing the novels.

You should see if they have a Gilmore Girls one! That would be epic! :lol:

I totally understand about wanting to remember more than 'Hmm...I liked it, its one of the best books I've read in a long time... what was it about? Um... it was really good?"

*Steals Frankies idea and makes a note to buy a book journal* I think I will play off your idea too and keep a journal while I read. At the end of each day I will try and write at least a few sentences down about what I read and how I liked it/it made me feel. Thanks Frankie!

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I copied the list last night, and marked out what I've read and what I want to read (but can probably be persuaded to read more).

What I want to read:

Atonement by Ian McEwan

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

Beloved by Toni Morrison

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

Emma by Jane Austen

Fahrenheit 9/11 by Michael Moore

The Fellowship of the Ring: Book 1 of The Lord of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

George W. Bushism: The Slate Book of the Accidental Wit and Wisdom of our 43rd President by Jacob Weisberg

The Gnostic Gospels by Elaine Pagels

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

The Gospel According to Judy Bloom

The Graduate by Charles Webb

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Hamlet by William Shakespeare

Henry IV, part I by William Shakespeare

Henry IV, part II by William Shakespeare

Henry V by William Shakespeare

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby

The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo (Have started this one as a reading circle book on here but couldn't get past the first 100 pages, still I may go back to it)

Macbeth by William Shakespeare

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Rapunzel by Grimm Brothers

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

The Return of the King: The Lord of the Rings Book 3 by J. R. R. Tolkien

Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Slaughter-house Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Snow White and Rose Red by Grimm Brothers

The Sonnets by William Shakespeare

Sophie's Choice by William Styron

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire

The Wizard of Oz by Frank L. Baum

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bront�

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

And have read:

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bront�

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling

Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger

Brick Lane by Monica Ali

Babe by Dick King-Smith

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt

Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (but so long ago my Mum actually read it to me)

1984 by George Orwell

Am not actually thinking I will read all the ones I want to but will add what I have or can borrow to my TBR pile and the others can go on my bookmooch wishlist

Cool! :) Then there's Fi as well (if she can hold till Feb that is) and we have a couple of weeks to see if there are any others. And of course if someone feels like giving the book a headstart already in January, it's fine by me. I do confess that now that we've chosen a book I can hardly wait to start reading it :friends0:

I can definitely hold until February - gives my Mum a few weeks to actually find her copy :censored: Really looking forward to it now :) Oh, and i've added the full list to my reading list on here, complete with coloured highlights!

I can definitely hold until February - gives my Mum a few weeks to actually find her copy :friends0: Really looking forward to it now :censored: Oh, and I've added the full list to my reading list on here, complete with coloured highlights!

Great :)

Lucybird, I see Gone with the Wind is on your list of books you'd like to read off the list, does that mean you want to join our February reading circle? If you've already mentioned you want to participate I must've missed your post.

I was thinking, since Lucybird made that extensive list of the books she'd like to read off the list, maybe I could take a look at her list and post what I'd like to read off it, and then the next person could take a look at my list and the next person take a look at her list. That way we can pretty easily narrow down all the books we have in the common would-like-to-read -list. Did that make any sense?

I would definitely be up for these:

Beloved by Toni Morrison

The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo (Have started this one as a reading circle book on here but couldn't get past the first 100 pages, still I may go back to it)

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

Great :censored:

I was thinking, since Lucybird made that extensive list of the books she'd like to read off the list, maybe I could take a look at her list and post what I'd like to read off it, and then the next person could take a look at my list and the next person take a look at her list. That way we can pretty easily narrow down all the books we have in the common would-like-to-read -list. Did that make any sense?

Good idea - I'm up for these. I think that's your list minus one Frankie :friends0:

Beloved by Toni Morrison

The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo

Nice, still many many choices :friends0: I hope Kylie and CaliLily and others that are interested will comment soon so we'll have an idea about the 'final' list. Me excited!!

About the notebooks, I went to the bookstore today and bought lots of nice pens, post-its, and some paper to scribble on. I was looking for notepads as well but the cheaper ones were ugly and the pretty ones were too expensive.

CaliLily, I didn't see any GG notepads, but I did see Hello Kitty merchandise which would satisfy the GG's since they are into that kind of thing. Too bad I don't like Hello Kitty myself =/

Yes I shall borrow Gone with the Wind off Mum, luckily it's one I should easily be able to get hold of.

Oh and Frankie have you seen the ladybird note books (note books with the covers from ladybird fairytale books)? I think penguin do similar ones too. Rory would approve I think!

Edited by Lucybird

I already keep a book journal but I got a stack of really pretty ones for Christmas. I might use one just for the Rory Challenge which of course means I'll have to go out & buy lots of pretty new pens to write with :friends0:

Nice, still many many choices :censored: I hope Kylie and CaliLily and others that are interested will comment soon so we'll have an idea about the 'final' list. Me excited!!

About the notebooks, I went to the bookstore today and bought lots of nice pens, post-its, and some paper to scribble on. I was looking for notepads as well but the cheaper ones were ugly and the pretty ones were too expensive.

CaliLily, I didn't see any GG notepads, but I did see Hello Kitty merchandise which would satisfy the GG's since they are into that kind of thing. Too bad I don't like Hello Kitty myself =/

I have yet to put the finishing touches on my list, I'll be posting it later tonight though! :)

That's too bad there weren't any GG ones. Hello Kitty is kind of disturbing. I have 2 journals- one is a black and white Japanese style one with a red cherry blossom in the middle and the other is just a run of the mill legal pad. I LOVE legal pads for some reason and go through them like peanuts at a baseball game!

I'm so excited that so many of us will be reading GwtW next month! :friends0: This is going to be great!

Yes I shall borrow Gone with the Wind off Mum, luckily it's one I should easily be able to get hold of.

Oh and Frankie have you seen the ladybird note books (note books with the covers from ladybird fairytale books)? I think penguin do similar ones too. Rory would approve I think!

Lucybird nice to hear you'll be also reading GwtW :)

I don't think I've seen the ladybird notebooks, I have to confess I don't think I've even heard of the ladybird fairytale books, maybe we don't have those books here. There were a lot of Moomin notepads and other stuff though, but I don't think GG's are aware of those little creatures...

Fi if I were you I would get a special notebook for the GG challenge :censored: Along with pens of course. I felt like a young schoolgirl at the shops today, like it was the start of a new schoolyear :friends0: What a happy feeling!

Edit: CaliLily, are legal pads the ones that have the horizontal lines only, no vertical ones? If so, I love those! Especially the yellow ones. I didn't see those in the bookshop though :) I only saw them at this normal store but didn't buy them because I figured I'd get them at the bookshop. Hmph!!

Edited by frankie

Fi's Rory Challenge Shopping list

Pretty notebook(s) - there's no way I could just buy one!

Pretty pen(s) - ditto :friends0:

I think I'm going to have to root through my remaining boxes of books to find my copy of GwtW - have realised my Mum's copy is slightly impractical for reading in bed as it's a huge hardback.

Edit: CaliLily, are legal pads the ones that have the horizontal lines only, no vertical ones? If so, I love those! Especially the yellow ones. I didn't see those in the bookshop though :censored: I only saw them at this normal store but didn't buy them because I figured I'd get them at the bookshop. Hmph!!

Those are the ones! We get them for free at work so my boss is always giving them to me because she thinks my paper/post-it note addiction is amusing.

You could always get a plain journal and put stickers all over it. Find an Anderson Cooper one and a Hillary Clinton one... maybe a Yale one and something foodish. :friends0: You could create your own Rory approved notebook!

Good idea - I'm up for these. I think that's your list minus one Frankie :censored:

Oops, I shortened it a bit. :friends0: A fair few I've read so I could always comment on those anyway, and I already plan on reading Macbeth for next month's reading circle, so that will probably realistically be the only Shakespeare I read for a while.

I also just went with books I already have on my TBR pile. I hope that's OK. If you want to add any back on, feel free!

Well, it's good to start off small and like you said, we can always add more :censored: I've read quite a lot of the Rory books but as I'm on a book diet for the forseeable future (especially after tonight!) I expect I'm going to be doing a lot of rereading :friends0:

Those are the ones! We get them for free at work so my boss is always giving them to me because she thinks my paper/post-it note addiction is amusing.

What, for free?? That is so cool :) I heart your boss <3

You could always get a plain journal and put stickers all over it. Find an Anderson Cooper one and a Hillary Clinton one... maybe a Yale one and something foodish. You could create your own Rory approved notebook!

I like how you think, because I thought about it too. You know what they say about great minds.... :roll:

Oops, I shortened it a bit. :censored: A fair few I've read so I could always comment on those anyway, and I already plan on reading Macbeth for next month's reading circle, so that will probably realistically be the only Shakespeare I read for a while.

Personally I think it's only good that you shortened it a bit because now we have it easier to decide what to read next, it would've been a very long list to choose from! And like you said and Fi confirmed, we can always add more to the list.

I bet after Kylie giving the axe to most of the books CaliLily has to put some more finishing touches to her own list :friends0:

Well, it's good to start off small and like you said, we can always add more :D I've read quite a lot of the Rory books but as I'm on a book diet for the forseeable future (especially after tonight!) I expect I'm going to be doing a lot of rereading :)

Uh oh, do you mean a lot of the books on the shorter list are rereads for you?

Oh dear, look at that... it shrank again! (But just by 1) :friends0:

What, for free?? That is so cool :censored: I heart your boss <3

I like how you think, because I thought about it too. You know what they say about great minds.... :)

You want her? She is obsessed with Hello Kitty! (not kidding!)

Muhahaha... we should totally take over the world! Or at least Western Europe... we cool like dat, yo. *does a complicated hand thingy* :)

In all seriousness, this is really great. I can't even tell you how much I can't wait to tear into the list and get going!

All re-reads :censored: Mind you, most I haven't read for years - the only ones I've read in the last 5 years are Wicked and Wuthering Heights. I haven't read Rebecca for over 10 years, I read War & Peace in 1995 and Macbeth was A Level English more years ago than I care to remember :friends0:

Hm Hello Kitty -boss I heart not! You can have her :)

Muhahaha... we should totally take over the world! Or at least Western Europe... we cool like dat, yo. *does a complicated hand thingy* :roll:

har har, how about the Western civilization altogether ^^ Complicated hand thingy sounded funny but I think I know what kind of thingy you're talking about, it does not resemble the one finger gesture :)

In all seriousness, this is really great. I can't even tell you how much I can't wait to tear into the list and get going!

Dido!! :friends0:

But, Fi, is it going to be a problem if the books are rereads? Would you wish to reread them with us or would you rather pick out something you haven't read yet?

Also, we already have quite a few books to read, but I was just thinking that there are a lot of books on the list I hadn't ever heard of when I came across the list. Slowly, every now and then, I've read the blurbs on some of the books on the list and I've discovered that there are some pretty interesting reads there, eventhough I've never heard of their titles before. So if we have the time or the inclination, maybe we could sometimes study the list on our own and do a little research on some of the books and come up with totally new titles from the list that might be great reads. No hurries and no worries, just a general suggestion :censored:

har har, how about the Western civilization altogether ^^ Complicated hand thingy sounded funny but I think I know what kind of thingy you're talking about, it does not resemble the one finger gesture :censored:

Also, we already have quite a few books to read, but I was just thinking that there are a lot of books on the list I hadn't ever heard of when I came across the list. Slowly, every now and then, I've read the blurbs on some of the books on the list and I've discovered that there are some pretty interesting reads there, eventhough I've never heard of their titles before. So if we have the time or the inclination, maybe we could sometimes study the list on our own and do a little research on some of the books and come up with totally new titles from the list that might be great reads. No hurries and no worries, just a general suggestion :friends0:

Lol, I only use that one on Mondays.

Would you be up for a little challenge within the challenge? Maybe (for whoever is up for it) we could pick a book off the list that we have never heard of to read individually. Something that we may not have considered if we had seen the title randomly in a book shop or something. Even if no one else does it, I think I will. :)

Lol, I only use that one on Mondays.

:friends0: that made me laugh out loud :censored:

Would you be up for a little challenge within the challenge? Maybe (for whoever is up for it) we could pick a book off the list that we have never heard of to read individually. Something that we may not have considered if we had seen the title randomly in a book shop or something. Even if no one else does it, I think I will. :)

I would be up for that :roll: Do you mean like, just blindly putting a finger on the list and seeing what we got? I wouldn't mind. Although I have to say I'd probably not buy the book but I'd have to see if there was a copy in the library and I'm thinking our library is not as well equipped as yours, we have way too many Finnish novels there and not enough English titles :)

:friends0: that made me laugh out loud :censored:

I would be up for that :) Do you mean like, just blindly putting a finger on the list and seeing what we got? I wouldn't mind. Although I have to say I'd probably not buy the book but I'd have to see if there was a copy in the library and I'm thinking our library is not as well equipped as yours, we have way too many Finnish novels there and not enough English titles :)

You could blindly choose, or pick a handfull that you are sure your library would have and put them in a hat and pull one out or something. I think I'll just blindly choose, trust in the Rory and she shall not lead you astray.

Would you be up for a little challenge within the challenge? Maybe (for whoever is up for it) we could pick a book off the list that we have never heard of to read individually. Something that we may not have considered if we had seen the title randomly in a book shop or something. Even if no one else does it, I think I will. :censored:

That sounds like a fab idea! There were quite a few titles I'd never heard of it so looking forward to reading them :)

But, Fi, is it going to be a problem if the books are rereads? Would you wish to reread them with us or would you rather pick out something you haven't read yet?

Definitely not a problem - I can't wait to get started and I think reading them with other people will make a difference. Plus, I think our discussion about Macbeth (for example) will be totally different to how it was when I was 16/17. Like I said, the majority were so long ago it'll be like reading them for the first time :friends0:

I felt like a young schoolgirl at the shops today, like it was the start of a new schoolyear :censored: What a happy feeling!

I used to love shopping for stationery supplies for going back to school. I still love shopping for that sort of stuff. :friends0:

I have a couple of beautiful notebooks laying around, one of which I plan to use for jotting down thoughts on my dystopian reading throughout the year.

There are some cutes little notebooks you can get called What I Read. I was really tempted to get one a while ago but I talked myself out of it because I already have enough notebooks.

I know there are other types of reading or book club journals around as well.

I'm really excited about Gone with the Wind. I may have already said this, but it's so encouraging knowing other people will be reading it with me. :)

I received Helter Skelter in the mail today, another from Rory's booklist. :lol: It's another big one too, although not as big as Gone with the Wind, which I hope to start reading in a few days.

ETA: Oh, and I also got Macbeth, which I'll be reading soon as part of February's reading circle. :)

Edited by Kylie