Rory Gilmore's Book List Challenge

AbielleRose

Wow, that's already 4 people for the books Kylie suggested! ;)

Edit: CaliLily :) Well it looked like such a mess and I wanted to be able to check for a particular book real quick if necessary, hence the absolute must for an alphabetical order :lol:

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that's already 4 people for the books Kylie suggested! ;)

Edit: CaliLily :) Well it looked like such a mess and I wanted to be able to check for a particular book real quick if necessary, hence the absolute must for an alphabetical order :lol:

Thats great! There isn't much better than a well organized list. *bliss*

I just finished posting it :D Let the picking begin!

Wow, that's already 4 people for the books Kylie suggested! :blush:

Edit: CaliLily ;) Well it looked like such a mess and I wanted to be able to check for a particular book real quick if necessary, hence the absolute must for an alphabetical order :)

Uh oh! You mean now I have to follow through and read them? :lol:

I would have been horrified it was posted in anything other than alphabetical order. :D

I'm kind of tempted by Gone with the Wind, and it looks like everyone who has responded has been interested in that as well. I've been daunted by it for a while because it's so big, but I've been reading a lot of great things about it recently and I know I'll keep putting it off if left to my own devices. That's what's good about these challenges; it gives you a bit of a kick to read those books that have been sitting around for a while.

What do you think?

ETA: I should mention that I have just added Helter Skelter to my shopping basket at The Book Depository. I'm going to sleep on it though (I don't know why; I know I'll just order it tomorrow anyway). :lol:

I think I could be persuaded to read Gone with the Wind, just like you I've been meaning to read it but the sheer size of it is rather daunting and I could use other people's support!

Let me know if you end up ordering Helter Skelter and I might try to hold on till you've got your copy! No pressure to buy though, and please be kind if I end up reading it in advance anyhow :lol:

I'm kind of tempted by Gone with the Wind, and it looks like everyone who has responded has been interested in that as well. I've been daunted by it for a while because it's so big, but I've been reading a lot of great things about it recently and I know I'll keep putting it off if left to my own devices. That's what's good about these challenges; it gives you a bit of a kick to read those books that have been sitting around for a while.

Gone With the Wind sounds good to me, too! I've always wanted to see the movie but have been planning on reading the book first. :lol: Now I have 2 things to look forward to!

I'll go with Gone With The Wind too - my mum has a copy somewhere as mine is in a box in the garage still waiting to be unpacked :lol: Think I might add the movie to my dvd rental list as well, about time I watched it again :)

Have pinched the master list - am going to go through it & then stick it on my blog.

For anyone who likes Spreadsheets, here's the Rory List in Excel!

It's not in alphabetical order, I'm afraid.

If books are added then it's easy to change the formulae at the top - just let me know and I'll post how to do it. :lol:

I just tried the link and its not working :)

I checked my copy of Gone with the Wind last night, thinking it was around 600 pages or something, but it's over 1,000! And the print is reasonably small too. :lol:

Still, I have committed to read it, so read it I shall. I may buy myself another copy though. Mine was secondhand and very cheap, and it looks a bit tatty.

I wasn't going to make a formal start time or anything but I do like to try and start/finish books within a month. I know I won't be able to get through this in the two weeks remaining in January so I might start this at the beginning of February. I'll probably read other books alongside it as well.

Frankie, please don't wait for me if you want to read Helter Skelter now! I probably wouldn't receive it before the end of January anyway, and then I have GwtW to read.

I checked my copy of Gone with the Wind last night, thinking it was around 600 pages or something, but it's over 1,000! And the print is reasonably small too. :lol:

I just ordered Gone with the Wind! It should be here early next week :) I did get the mass market paperback version so hopefully it won't be too small. I hate that when you get a thick book and practically have to break the binding to see the words near the crease. ;)

I hate them too. I guess that's the good thing about having a tatty secondhand copy - the spine is already well and truly broken so I don't have to worry too much about how I treat it.

Oh, and I should point out that just because I'm starting it in February, it doesn't mean anyone has to wait for me. Please start reading whenever you want! :lol:

It's going to be so encouraging for me to be reading this with other people, because I always put off reading long books. I've had this one for a few years now.

What?? Is Gone with the Wind really over 1,000 pages?? I have to go and check my copy. Phew, my copy has only 894 pages. And I have to admit that I'm reading this one in Finnish, otherwise it would take me forever. I just love my copy, I bought it in a secondhand bookshop, it was only 3e, and it's a lovely and flexible paperback that's easy to read without having to crack the spines :lol:

I'm so happy about this whole Rory group of ours, it's so nice to chat about her list and the books, and get other people to read the same books so I'll have no excuses not to read them myself :)

I'm so happy about this whole Rory group of ours, it's so nice to chat about her list and the books, and get other people to read the same books so I'll have no excuses not to read them myself :lol:

I agree Frankie. :) We might have to start up individual threads for the books seeing as we're going to have discussions about them, and then we can leave this thread for general discussion of the books. I'll set one up on Ella Minnow Pea (which I just finished; very interesting) and try to write a review in the next few days.

I think I will plan on reading GwtW in Feb alongside you. I can't promise to finish it in a month (1000 pages! Ouch!) but I am too excited about this little challenge to wait any longer :)

That is a great idea about starting new threads for the books/discussion. That way we don't spoil they for anyone who wants to read what we have just finished at a later date.

I'm so happy about this whole Rory group of ours, it's so nice to chat about her list and the books, and get other people to read the same books so I'll have no excuses not to read them myself :lol:

Our epic plot to take over the world is in motion! *Muhahahaha*

We might have to start up individual threads for the books seeing as we're going to have discussions about them, and then we can leave this thread for general discussion of the books. I'll set one up on Ella Minnow Pea (which I just finished; very interesting) and try to write a review in the next few days.

I agree about setting up threads for the individual books (of course we need to search first and see whether there's a thread for said book already), otherwise this thread will get out of hand :D We can leave this thread for general discussion and figuring out what each of us reads next.

I think I will plan on reading GwtW in Feb alongside you. I can't promise to finish it in a month (1000 pages! Ouch!) but I am too excited about this little challenge to wait any longer :blush:

Cool! :haha: Then there's Fi as well (if she can hold till Feb that is) and we have a couple of weeks to see if there are any others. And of course if someone feels like giving the book a headstart already in January, it's fine by me. I do confess that now that we've chosen a book I can hardly wait to start reading it :)

Our epic plot to take over the world is in motion! *Muhahahaha*

;) Thanks CaliLily so much for realising we need this kind of thread, I would've been too shy I think to suggest it :lol:

Edit: I think I will have to buy myself a nice little notebook so I can take notes about these books! I've always wanted to take notes on the books I read but I'm totally too lazy for that but this time it's different because I do want to remember more than just "it was a great book!" when we're discussing the novels.

Edited by frankie