Michelle - 2010

Michelle

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooh, I read all of her Earthsea novels when I was a kid. My friends and I used to pretend to be all the characters (I wasn't cool enough to be Ged, so I tended to be Vetch).

I might have to have a go with this one. I'll look forward to your thoughts on this, Michelle.:)

I really enjoyed it Mac, but having looked at the synopsis for the first Earthsea book, I would think it's quite different. It's about the various groups of people who live in the Uplands (rather than the cities) - each family line has a different 'gift', and they all live in fear that another family may use it's gift against them.

The main character comes from a family with the gift of 'undoing', which although can be used for small things, is often used to kill, and he fights against this. He becomes so scared of his gift, that he blindfolds himself.

It's a 'coming of age' book, as much as a book about the various families, and it's quite a gentle pace. I think that's why I often enjoy YA fantasy.. as much as I enjoy the fantasy genre, I find the larger books and sagas a bit off-putting, as my reading time is limited.. the YA ones are often shorter, and easier to dip in and out of.

I've now moved onto the second book in the series, Voices.. another good which has started well. :)

It sounds great, Michelle. I feel similarly to you about the fantasy genre. Also, I have a 'comfort blanket' kind of feeling about the like of le Guin and Susan Cooper, so I may well give this one a go.

Thanks for that. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Paula. :D

I've almost finished the second book, Voices, which has a different feel to it. The two main characters from the first are back, but the story is completely different, so there's actually no need to read these in order.

Over the past few years, I've re-read a couple of Stephen King novels.. I originally read these as a teenager, so I don't remember much. I've re-read The Stand, The Shining and Salem's Lot (the latter as an audio book), and have very much enjoyed the experience. I was catching up on the King thread on here, and Cujo was mentioned.. and today I saw it on our work's books stall.. so I've also started that tonight. :roll:

All else may have to go on hold for a short time - I was very happy to grab a copy of William Hussey's Witchfinder - Dawn of the Demontide from Amazon Vine. Some of us here have read his adult horror books (as Bill Hussey), and he's now moved into YA horror.

I've read the first few chapters, and it's rather excellent so far.. but certainly not for younger teens!

• 1 month later...

Here I go again, forgetting my thread! :lol:

Witchfinder.. http://bcfreviews.wordpress.com/2010/02/24/witchfinder-by-william-hussey/

House of Leaves has also gone on hold for a while, as a publisher has sent me 6 books to review, listed here.. http://www.librarything.com/catalog/michelle_bcf&tag=Atlantic&collection=-1 I've almost finished the YA one, The Queen Must Die, review to follow.

Meanwhile, I've been listening to Magyk on my iPod, which is the first in the Septimus Heap series. It was a great one to listen to, with a good reader. I've now moved on to Flyte, and unfortunately the reader isn't quite as good. I'm hoping the story will be as good as the first.

Oooh I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on The Girl with the Glass Feet Michelle, I've read and not enjoyed some of Ali Shaw's short fiction however the premise for this sounded really good.

Meanwhile, I've been listening to Magyk on my iPod, which is the first in the Septimus Heap series. It was a great one to listen to, with a good reader. I've now moved on to Flyte, and unfortunately the reader isn't quite as good. I'm hoping the story will be as good as the first.

I've read the whole series, and I love it. They do develop onward and outward from Magyk, but I felt the development worked well, taking the reader to places distant from the castle.

Oooh, I'd be interested to see what you think of The Queen Must Die. I've been putting it in & out of my shopping basket since it was published, I can't quite make up my mind whether to try it or not :lol:

Yes, I'm really interested in 'The Girl with Glass Feet' too .. it sounds like my sort of book .. be interested to know what you make of it.

I loved 'Magyk' when I downloaded it from Audible and I was so disappointed when I downloaded 'Flyte' ... a good reader makes all the difference, I did eventually get into the story though and have since downloaded 'Physik' which I'm struggling with a bit (but more because I haven't given it enough time and have to keep going back to the beginning again). I do wish they'd kept the same reader though .. his voice for Marcia was fantastic.

Yes, I'm really interested in 'The Girl with Glass Feet' too .. it sounds like my sort of book .. be interested to know what you make of it.

I have two books which they've asked me to prioritise - I shall make this one number three! :lol:

I loved 'Magyk' when I downloaded it from Audible and I was so disappointed when I downloaded 'Flyte' ... a good reader makes all the difference, I did eventually get into the story though and have since downloaded 'Physik' which I'm struggling with a bit (but more because I haven't given it enough time and have to keep going back to the beginning again). I do wish they'd kept the same reader though .. his voice for Marcia was fantastic.

Do you mean the reader for Magyk? If so, I loved his Marcia, and she actually became my favourite character. I also think that the reader for Flyte actually makes it sound more of a children's book.. maybe because the younger characters are sounding quite 'whiny' to me.

Have they kept the Flyte reader for Physik, or does it change again?

Do you mean the reader for Magyk? If so, I loved his Marcia, and she actually became my favourite character. I also think that the reader for Flyte actually makes it sound more of a children's book.. maybe because the younger characters are sounding quite 'whiny' to me.

Have they kept the Flyte reader for Physik, or does it change again?

The first reader was Allan Corduner and he was brilliant .. since then it has been Gerard Doyle and I believe he reads books two, three, four and five .. unfortunately!!

I agree with you, Gerard makes the books seem more childish ... Allan actually made the book seem more mysterious and magical. I just cannot understand why they changed .. it must have been the readers decision because no-one in their right mind would have swapped one for the other. If I was Angie Sage I'd have been so annoyed.

I did get used to it after a while though ... though I definitely didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as 'Magyk' ... and I can't help but wonder if the story was weaker or whether it was just totally down to the reader.

Look forward to your future thoughts on 'the Girl with Glass Feet'.