Michelle - 2010

Michelle

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Someone Else's Son last night, and it's review is here - http://bcfreviews.wo...n-by-sam-hayes/

I'm about half way through Holes, and audio-wise, I'm now on the last Percy Jackson book. My other books will have to wait, as I now have a review copy of Jonathan Stroud's latest, The Ring of Solomon, plus Room, which I looked at in Waterstones. biggrin.gif

Well that's something I haven't done for a looong time - I've just finished Room in 2 days! Review coming soon, but I certainly recommend it. I'd also suggest staying away from reviews which give away details, as it's one to be approached and discovered with no preconceived ideas.

Review: http://www.bookclubf...-emma-donoghue/

Edited by Michelle
review added

Well that's something I haven't done for a looong time - I've just finished Room in 2 days! Review coming soon, but I certainly recommend it. I'd also suggest staying away from reviews which give away details, as it's one to be approached and discovered with no preconceived ideas.

Review: http://www.bookclubf...-emma-donoghue/

Have added this to the wishlist. Thanks Michelle

• 2 weeks later...

I shared my thoughts in the Hunger Games thread, so will add here..

Having seen Mockingjay around, and wondering what it was about, I looked up The Hunger Games on here. I wasn't 100% sure, but I did like the general idea, and the positive comments on here swayed me, so I decided to give it a chance.

What a gripping book! I appreciate the fact the idea has been done before, but as others have said, there are so many issues and angles to this book, that I forgive it! :) Katniss has a character which draws you straight in, and I adored Rue.

I like the way her death was handled.. it would have been easy to have Katniss faced with the decision to kill her, but the way it was done was quite powerful.

I can imagine this becoming a book read at school, as there lots of issues for teens to discuss.

I've now ordered the other two books, and am looking forward to them arriving. :)

I've started The Help on my ipod, and have enjoyed the first few chapters. I'm not sure how far they'll take the plot, or whether it will be more character driven, but either way I'm looking forward to it.

I've started The Help on my ipod, and have enjoyed the first few chapters. I'm not sure how far they'll take the plot, or whether it will be more character driven, but either way I'm looking forward to it.

Hey Michelle ~

Be sure to let us know your thoughts on The Help ....apparently it's an excellent book. I've been trying to sign it out at the library for sometime now, but it's always checked out. :(

Edited by NovaLee

I finished Catching Fire last night, and it's a great follow up to Hunger Games. As I said over in the thread, I would have loved it as a teen, and it's just as good as an adult, so I'd recommend it to most people. I'm excited about reading Mockingjay.

I'm also over half way through The Help, and it is a really good book. It gives an insight into segregation in the 60s, and the characters are very well written - I will be sad to leave them once finished. Mind you, the audio version may be helping with that, as they have great narrators. I have a feeling it's building up to something at the end.

I finished Mockingjay last night, and I'm so sad to leave it all behind. I've written a little more in the Hunger Games thread. I'd HIGHLY recommend this series. :)

I've bought a few books recently (naughty, I know!) and I'm not entirely sure where to go next! I may try Ravens by George Dawes Green (which looked good in the shop, but is getting poor reviews on amazon :() and Remarkable Creatures by Tracey Chevalier (which looks more promising on amazon!).

I've finished The Help on audio - it is a really good book, but it's more character driven than plot. There are various story lines running through, but I must admit I expected something a little more dramatic. However, I would still recommend it, as the characters are brilliantly done. The narrators used for the audio were excellent, which brought the characters to life even more. I was truly sad to finish it, and I'd be quite interested in a sequel, to see what happens to them.

I've now started listening to Spiderlight by Sarah Rayne.. I'm not quite sure yet what I think, it's too early to tell.

Book wise, I had some review books turn up, so I've started them. I'm reading Speaking of Love by Angela Young, which has certainly started well, and I've already read 101 things you thought you knew about the Titanic.. but didn't. The title says it all really - a good read! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh, I really must get my review of the Titanic book done.. it's a good book to compliment existing knowledge, rather than an introduction.

My other review books went on hold, as I decided to treat myself to Reckless by Cornelia Funke, which I've not been able to put down. :)

Audio-wise, I'm now listening to The Painted Man by Peter V Brett. It has some mixed reviews on amazon, and I agree with some of the criticism, but it's another one which is really holding me, and I'm keen to see where it goes. Has anyone else read it?

• 2 weeks later...

Reckless was a brill read.. I'll try to catch up on some proper reviews soon, but I'd certainly recommend it to those who like a dark slant on fairytales! Noll, you should enjoy it. :)

I also finished listening to The Painted Man and am now on to The Desert Spear. I certainly have criticisms, but overall it's a good idea and a good read.. or rather, listen! biggrin.gif

I've also been lucky enough to get an early copy of King'sFull Dark, No Stars - I'm aiming to write a proper review of this on Friday, but for someone who's not really liked his latest stuff, I'm happy to say that this one was brilliant! yes.gif

I'm now about to move on to The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan - we're going back to Percy Jackson's world, but with different characters.

I've also been lucky enough to get an early copy of King'sFull Dark, No Stars - I'm aiming to write a proper review of this on Friday, but for someone who's not really liked his latest stuff, I'm happy to say that this one was brilliant! yes.gif

Hi Michelle 3.gif I'm looking forward to reading your review of 'Full Dark, No Stars', I am glad to hear its brilliant :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just in case anyone missed it, my review for King's book is here. I've also finished The Lost Hero, which I'm about to go and review, as well as The Body Finder.

The Maze Runner was also excellent, and I'm excited to learn there's a sequel! biggrin.gif

I'll be back when I have some reviews to report. smile2.gif

• 1 month later...

According to my LibraryThing records, I've read or listened to 42 books this year, which is a little low for me. Mind you, there are quite a few which I've started and put aside, and one I'll probably finish tonight. I've not been that good at keeping records updated, or reviewing those which weren't sent to me - maybe I'll get back on track in 2011!