Do men enjoy Austen Novels as much as women?

Munas

It seems like there's hardly any men on this forum!!

Question for the ladies then. Do you think that Austens novels are aimed towards women or are they like typical classics which can be enjoyed by all?

I've just got this assumption that Jane Austens books are very feminine.

Yay :) although beware that if (like I suspect you are) you're looking at the set from The Book People, it does not actually come in a box, most of the covers are pretty dire and the ink's not the best :lol: I charity shopped mine more or less the minute they arrived!

It really depends on the man and his taste in reading! My friend is a stickler for what he considers good writing, and he loves what he says are the better Austen novels (Mansfield Park, Persuasion, Sense and Sensibility), likes some of the others (Pride and Prejudice, Northanger Abbey) and dislikes the rest.

You mean Emma?Because you've mentioned the other major ones.:)

I believe that men can too enjoy JA'S books. Many people reject them as romances, but as it has been mentioned above they offer a sharp view of society and human character, and there are themes that are relevant even today.

There is also the writing. Personally, I love her style, but others can't stand it!

I'm definately a man. I have a beard, I drink bitter and I watch Top Gear and anything vaguely Sci-fi

I've only read Pride & Predudice, and did so having never seen a film or TV adaptation before either. I found myself speed reading to get to the end. Really enjoyed it. I must get round to reading some of the others. I've also enjoyed Jane Eyre, Little Women & The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

As an aside, I once saw a programme on TV in which the former editor of Nuts magazine stated he was an avid Jane Austen fan! Just goes to show.....

Ian

I've read (and liked) most of the books, but you should probably weigh in the factor that I'm a big Wold Newton geek. The references PJ Farmer et al have woven in referencing back to Jane Austen's work only pays off is you have at least a vague understanding of the references themselves.

Didn't realise we men are a minority here. So I thought I better man up and answer the question honestly... YES:mrgreen: I like Jane Austen. I thought Pride and Prejudice was (is) superb in all ways. I have started Northanger Abbey so will let you know more when I have finished.

• 2 months later...

I really love the charming world of Northanger Abbey so far, Austen has a very elegant and poetic way and I am enchanted by the little things she is running through this at the moment. It is certainly not for everyone, but I think both men and women if they keep an open reader's mind can find a lot to enjoy.

Now I've read P&P, Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park, Persuasion, Northhanger Abbey and Emma, I'm in a better position to comment.

I like her style, characterization and eye for detail. The only one I wouldn't read again is Emma as I found it tedious and the character of Emma herself annoying.

So I do enjoy Austen :lurker:

I like her style, characterization and eye for detail. The only one I wouldn't read again is Emma as I found it tedious and the character of Emma herself annoying.

I agree Emma's a very long book where not a lot seems to happen. I've enjoyed all of her others though.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm another man who loves Jane Austen. It never ceases to amaze me how modern her writing feels, especially when one considers that the likes of Eliot, Dickens, Thackeray, Trollope (all writers I thoroughly enjoy) came later. There isn't a word wasted - indeed, there is often a lot more going on than one first realises. And when she comes to her characters, she is a past master at showing not telling - they really come to life.

I know that it's three months after the OP posted - but S&S is my favourite Austen, possibly my all-time favourite book, and bears regular re-reading for me, one of the very, very few.