More football

Lilywhite

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, winning FA Vase matches seems to be becoming a hard habit to break. A crowd of 1,433 stood in the pouring rain for two hours yesterday to see us win our quarter final 3-2! Just eight short years ago I remember an audience of 15 watching a 12-2 defeat against Dobwalls which consigned us to the basement slot in Division 1. On balance I think I prefer the current state of affairs.☺

Just a two-legged semi-final now stands between us and Wembley!

I hope your weather was less liquid than ours Inver - any joy for your boys?

Good stuff.... :doowapstart:

No game for the U'17's this weekend and Glendale actually won 2-1...! Not that Andy was involved....don't think he is talking to them at the moment...! :blink:

I hope things get sorted out for Andy!

The semi-final draw took place this morning. We'look be playing either Glossop North End (who were an English top-flight club in 1900) or Shaw Lane Aquaforce (who are only three years old)!

Who would you prefer?

Good result for St Johnstone last night....they beat Celtic 1-0 away from home and stopped their unbeaten run....Andy is happy.

Well done St Johnstone!

We reached another Cornwall Senior Cup Final this week with a 2-0 win over our local rivals. In a very rare event, tomorrow we actually play in the league!

Hope your lads turn the corner soon Inver.

We'll be facing Glossop North End in the Vase. They used to play their league matches against the likes of Aston Villa and Nottingham Forest at the top of English football (in 1900)!

Our season is looking scary. Throughout most of April we'll have a match every 2-3 days!

Tonight we discovered our Cornwall Senior Cup Final opponents. On Easter Monday we'll be playing.....Godolphin Atlantic. Yes,the same Godolphin Atlantic who have been the only side to beat us since August. And they'very done that twice in the past month. Why do this club insist on tormenting us?!

I think we should write to them, asking nicely to not take our Cup away from us.

Well,You just can't keep AFC St Austell off the news. We're all over local TV today after last night's 58 second match. When I arrived the pitch was completely obscured by fog. An hour later things hadn't changed but the referee still hadn't called it off. We couldn't quite believe it when the ref went ahead with the kick-off. As soon as the whistle blew, the linesman frantically waved his flag as he couldn't see anything. The ref then took just short of a minute to notice him and abandoned the match. It was an epic game though!

Hubby went along to watch U'17's today. Andy was in Glasgow doing some more SFA badge work. Unfortunately he missed them winning 3-0 away from home...hoorah. Glendale had a semi final today...lost 1-0 in ET. They couldn't even win against a team whose goalie was sent off after 30 minutes and they played with 10 men...!!!!

Sometimes goalies seem almost unnecessary! We had a cup semi-final a few years ago against the favourites but our three 'keepers were all injured. No-one was more surprised than us when we triumphed 4-1. After the match, the opposition captain came out with an odd comment: "If we'd known their goalie was a striker we'd have tried to score more goals".

We seemed out of sorts yesterday, producing our worst performance of the season with a 1-1 draw against our relegation-struggling opponents. On the bright side, none of the top 7 managed a win.

I heard that the ref we had on Wednesday was officiating in Devon. When he led the players onto the pitch,the home club blasted 'Fog on the Tyne' from the tannoy. The half time accompaniment was 'I Can See Clearly Now'.

• 2 weeks later...

Glendale won 2-1. (Andy still having issues with them unfortunately!) U'17's were awarded 3pts despite losing 2-1, as the other team the were playing (Culter Boys 17's) had not paid an outstanding fine. The played it as a friendly. Through nothing sinister, but was to do with some paperwork that was sent to the old manager of the team who had since moved from that address and the new manager had received.

The perils of grass-roots football. We've had several instances in the past with lost registration forms and late payments. It all adds to the experience!

Last week we played in the FA Vase semi-Final first leg against Glossop North End and experienced our first home defeat for 360 days. We have to overcome a 2-0 deficit to get to Wembley but we're still loving it!

When is the return game Sedge....hope you can get a 3-0 victory then...is it possible?

Andy is going to Hampden on Sunday to watch Scotland v Gibraltar..hope they get their win. It was a reasonable performance during the week in the friendly v NI.

The return game was this afternoon. We managed a much improved performance in torrential rain. Indeed in the last ten minutes the pitch was totally waterlogged and the ball didn't roll at all. The ref kept the match going though. At 0-0, four minutes of stoppage time was announced and incredibly we scored in the first of these. That made for an interesting last three minutes but we couldn't quite manage another goal.

The ref later confirmed that if we had managed that second goal, extra time wouldn't have been an option. I don't think Glossop's pitch will be playable for a while.

Although we lost 2-1 on aggregate we were pleased with today's win. Overall this has been a fantastic achievement by the lads - you can't get any closer to Wembley without actually going there.

We can't be disappointed as we still have an excellent chance of our league and cup double. ☺

Edited by Sedge

My nephew Ollie has been training with Reading FC for a while now and they have just moved him up to their 'U8 Elite' group (and refunded the advance fees). We are all chuffed to bits :)

He's at the Academy at Fulham FC now and enjoying it immensely. Such a commitment with the travelling etc (he lives at Bracknell so not too bad when it was Reading) and with schoolwork etc but he loves it and so far so good .. they're very pleased with him.

Well done Sedge on the win today  .. great achievement :)

That is great Kay...well done to your nephew and the fact he is enjoying it.

That was so close Sedge...shame it had to come to end :blush2:

U'17's game was called off this morning, call at 8.15am this morning to say council pitches all unplayable. The weather didn't seem that bad this week, so no points won or lost today. There is going to be such a backlog to catch up on and difficult with the 17's coming up for exams after Easter. Lots of juggling and putting in for free dates to cancel etc.

Glendale lost 3-0 in a cup 1/4 final today (not that Andy cares very much at the moment, has tried talking to a couple of folk, but to no avail...!..watch this space).

Thanks Kay & Diane, it was a great adventure!

I can empathise with the U17s - we have just under half our season to play in the next month and tomorrow's weather forecast looks ominous!

Great game and result today for U'17's 0-3 away from home and are now back to sitting 2nd in the league. Close on points with a couple of other teams, but looking good at the moment. Still games to play obviously but great performance today with a squad of only 12, so only 1 sub. Few players playing out of position but they proved themselves.

Things are sounding good for them Inver! How far ahead are the leaders?

We put out a full-strength side against our local rivals on Good Friday and were rewarded with a 4-0 win. There was talk of saving our best players for tomorrow's Cup Final, but we can't afford to drop points in our quest for the league title. Nobody thought eight years ago that we'd ever be in this position!☺