More football

Lilywhite

Second is a great achievement Inver. Well done to the lads.☺ In our league,when a team concedes a game it's officially declared a draw but the offending team is docked three points which are then awarded to the opponents. All very confusing.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

As a rule, I don't usually pay much attention to the world of football, but Sepp Blatter's re-election as the head of FIFA is completely unacceptable.

If he knew what was happening he was complicit, if he didn't he was inept and as the leader of an organisation so riddled with corruption he should acknowledge his culpability and step aside.  A new leader is needed to clean up football and Blatter is not the right man for that job.

Also, I don't think any elected head of an organisation should be allowed five consecutive terms, it leads to stagnation and stifles innovation.

• 2 weeks later...

As a rule, I don't usually pay much attention to the world of football, but Sepp Blatter's re-election as the head of FIFA is completely unacceptable.

If he knew what was happening he was complicit, if he didn't he was inept and as the leader of an organisation so riddled with corruption he should acknowledge his culpability and step aside.  A new leader is needed to clean up football and Blatter is not the right man for that job.

Also, I don't think any elected head of an organisation should be allowed five consecutive terms, it leads to stagnation and stifles innovation.

Totally agree. He had little choice and is now out.

The U.S. women tied Sweden tonight 0 to 0. Previously U.S. women beat a good Australian team 3 to 1.

U.S. plays Colombia on Monday. The games have been fun to watch. Germany I believe is still the favorite. They beat Sweden 3 to 1 yesterday and the best the U.S. could do was tie Sweden 0 - 0. Hopefully the U.S. advances to play Germany. The U.S. played some very good teams to get this far.

Edited by muggle not

U.S. plays Colombia on Monday. The games have been fun to watch. Germany I believe is still the favorite. They beat Sweden 3 to 1 yesterday and the best the U.S. could do was tie Sweden 0 - 0. Hopefully the U.S. advances to play Germany. The U.S. played some very good teams to get this far.

The U.S. has played really well, I think. But I'm a little worried about the offense. I'm sure it will come especially because throughout the group round they used so many different combinations of strikers, but they only scored 4 goals? 5 goals? the whole group round. The group was a tough one but it had me worried. The defense is outstanding. 

The U.S. has played really well, I think. But I'm a little worried about the offense. I'm sure it will come especially because throughout the group round they used so many different combinations of strikers, but they only scored 4 goals? 5 goals? the whole group round. The group was a tough one but it had me worried. The defense is outstanding. 

Tonight's game should be interesting, to say the least. I would like to see Abby score 2 or 3 goals. :) The U.S. didn't take many shots during the group round and that does need to change.

Tonight's game should be interesting, to say the least. I would like to see Abby score 2 or 3 goals. :) The U.S. didn't take many shots during the group round and that does need to change.

Yes I hope Abby has a good game after what happened last time with Colombia. I wonder which strikers will start. It seems like Wambach and Morgan have better chemistry than Wambach and Leroux. 

The U.S. beat China 1 - 0 and will play Germany in the semi-finals. I thought that France played a very good game against Germany and would have won if not for the penalty kick during regulation. The U.S. defense is awesome and has now not allowed a goal in the last 423 minutes played.

IMHO I believe that Australia has the best team in the other group of semi-finalists. Today's games will be interesting. Australia vs Japan and Canada vs England.

England are through to the semi-finals!!!! :doowapstart:  :doowapstart:  :doowapstart: 

Fantastic win over host nation Canada, which I think I heard was watched by a staggering 54,000 spectators in the stadium.  Now we have to face reigning champions Japan in the semi final next week, who just managed to beat Australia in their quarter-final by a single goal, three minutes from the end of the match.  Come on the Lionesses!!!

England are through to the semi-finals!!!! :doowapstart:  :doowapstart:  :doowapstart: 

Fantastic win over host nation Canada, which I think I heard was watched by a staggering 54,000 spectators in the stadium.  Now we have to face reigning champions Japan in the semi final next week, who just managed to beat Australia in their quarter-final by a single goal, three minutes from the end of the match.  Come on the Lionesses!!!

And the U.S. faces the #1 ranked Germany in the semi-final. :)

I stayed up to watch it.  I was only going to watch the first half but then Canada scored just before half time and it all got rather tense  :hide:  :lol:

I did see someone suggest that the Lionesses should be renamed the "England Football Team" and the other lot should be the "England Mens Football Team" (think there should be an apostrophe in there somewhere, but can't quite place it :D)

Well at least they can't lose on penalties to Germany in the semi-final . . .  :D

Well at least they can't lose on penalties to Germany in the semi-final . . .  :D

And they can't lose to Germany in the finals either. :)

It was a great game between the U.S. and Germany and I can't be happier with the outcome. I hope England beats Japan tomorrow and sets up a U.S. vs England final.

Did any of you see the replay of the "head" collision between the U.S. player and the Germany player. It was terrible and both coaches should not have left their players re-enter the game. The German player had blood running down her face. It is all over the news in the U.S. and I agree with the comments that they should have been kept out for the remainder of the game at least as it could have been very dangerous.

Edited by muggle not

Yeah, they should, all of them, and Laura Bassett especially  :smile:   I thought we outplayed Japan, too.  I can't remember them posing much danger at all, apart from the penalty.

Oh well.  Still not as bad as losing to Germany on penalties in the semis at Italia 90 and Euro 96.

Good luck to USA in the final.

Writers must be loving the storyline of this world cup though. The United States has said all along that they want to avenge their loss in 2011 and now they get to do it against the team that won in 2011. I'm really hoping they win. I trust the defense, and hopefully they can score 2 goals or more again. 

Sad for England with how the game ended :( 

I'm counting down the days till the football season starts, love it, but just can't get interested watching women play. I don't know why, something just doesn't sit right with me. That said I'm pleased they did so well.