More football

Lilywhite

Sounds like it was a bumper weekend for you Inver!

The Austell are still twiddling their thumbs after 2 successive postponements. We're looking forward to a Senior Cup quarter-final on Saturday though. Here's hoping for a rain (and frost) free weekend!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

421480_10150550146116360_585476359_9403936_949361639_n.jpgWeather was quite nice to start with...sunshine, but cold then they ended up playing in a blizzard a couple of times. Managed to get it played though and won 3-2...from a cold and wintry Aberdeen.....(oor garden about 1/2 hr ago)! Doesn't look hopeful for tomorrow U'14s though.

How did you get on today Sedge...and Cup news.

The perseverance of Scottish football puts us to shame Inver! After a bright morning, the rain started at about 12:00. 15 minutes before kick-off, our opponents' pitch was playable, but then the heavens really opened and the game was called off 5 minutes before the start. Another 15 minutes later, the whole area was bathed in brilliant sunshine for the rest of the afternoon. We'll have to try again on Tuesday evening.

This is against the same team that refused to play on after half time earlier in the season when the referee was injured - we're jinxed!

Hope you get a chance to thrash them Sedge...I remember all that nonsence about the ref last time. Prediction right....U'14's game was a no go today, was called off last night due to 1" of snow on the pitch.

Don't worry Inver - spring is on its way! I'm looking forward to the semi-final draw tonight. Hopefully at home to Porthleven (the lowest ranked team left in the competition), then a repeat of last year's final against Bodmin Town - with the scoreline reversed obviously!

I think I just saw Charlie Adam's penalty fly past my window :D

Great game to watch but as a Liverpool fan it was painful at times. Cardiff were simply fantastic, Malky Makay is proving to be one of the most promising young managers the country has produced. I often wonder if Jordan Henderson has used someone else's ID because he constantly looks lost on the pitch and not like a footballer. A lot needs to be fix and Lucas can't come back soon enough. Nice to win a trophy again though.

Last week wasn't great for football. St Austell got knocked out of the Cornwall Senior Cup on Tuesday and followed that up with their worst performance for years in a 5-0 thrashing at the hands of a side that hadn't won since before Christmas! And our manager has disappeared on holiday to Butlins with 3 key players! It doesn't bode well for Wednesday evening when we're away at the Champions elect!

Rubbish getting knocked out the Senior Cup Sedge :blush2: and ouchy to the 5-0. I wasn't around again to see any footie this weekend, but Glendale boys had a 3-1 win on Saturday and Andy's U'14's had a very comfortable 6-1 win yesterday and are sitting 2nd in their league, looking good at the moment. Need to keep their heads on Sunday though as them play the league leaders...and the manager is a complete numptie.

http://www.clubwebsite.co.uk/culteryouthfootballclub/97611/Home

This lot they play on Sunday is the team that played an ineligible player if you remember the story and Andy reported them. They are still at silly b...gers apparently. He heard of a young player who had given up playing for a team and within an hour of him saying so on Facebook, the manager was around at his house asking if he wanted to sign for them. Be soooooo good to take points off this lot on Sunday. We won't manage to the game though, as hubby and I have a bdy lunch thing to go to.

Andy has applied to Falkirk FC for a job as Youth Development Coach. He reckons he won't be in with a chance, but if you don't try you don't get. He may not have the total qualificiations but he is on his way to getting his Coaching Level badges. Worth the experience of going for an interview if nothing else, if it gets that far!

I wish Andy all the best, Diane. He's doing it the right way - you need to get your coaching badges and get some experience coaching on a voluntary basis, and then keep plugging away at the jobs. That's exactly how my son did it - he applied for coaching jobs in rugby league, but it wasn't until his third attempt that he was lucky and got a job with the RFL. In fact, he'd more or less given up by then - he'd accepted a job with ITV and had to ring them up two days before he was due to start to tell them he wasn't coming!

The other thing that helps is getting yourself known. My son made some helpful contacts on RFL coaching courses who were able to let him know when things were coming up and gave him advice on how to approach the interviews, how to organise the practical exercises and such.

I don't know how it's organised up there, but in England all the professional clubs have community programmes, which use a lot of casual, sessional coaches. That's good experience (plus a bit of pocket money, too) and also helps to get your name known for when full-time jobs come up. It might be worth Andy enquiring "on spec" with the local professional clubs about whether they need any sessional coaches.

As you say, it's an outside shot at this stage, but there's never any harm in applying. It'll give Andy an idea of what to expect, and if he's persistent, something may well come along eventually.

Thanks guys....my boy has a reasonably sensible head on his young shoulders and knows what he wants to do....just have to wait patiently for the doors to open, but give them a gentle knock occasionally.

He is coming back from footie as I speak.....1-0 win today and another 3 points on the board. :D

Great stuff Inver! 1-0 down here as well. Last week we lost a match that we should have won easily, yesterday we were triumphant against a side who should have walked all over us - it's a funny old game! :smile:

'Uni Strollers 0-1 Glendale yesterday to stretch the unbeaten run to 6 and Kintore 2-3 Culter Colts to make it 7 straight wins for the under 14's. Both my teams undefeated in 2012. If that doesn't call for Sunday beers I don't know what does.'

Sure is Sedge....this is Andy's facebook status from today...says it all really...lol. If the U'14s win next weekend against the other Kintore United team they are looking to top the league.

I'm looking for advice on a very delicate matter. It's Mrs Sedge's birthday on 24th March, but St Austell have a home game. How do I keep her sweet while I disappear for 2 hours?! :o

Book her in for a bit of pampering somewhere Sedge...lol...then out for a nice meal somewhere later...oh and don't talk about footie...lol.

Mixed results again this weekend. We didn't see the game on Saturday but Andy score the goal to get them through to a semi. He said it was the scrapiest goal he ever scored, crossed in went off someone else, hit his thigh and sclaffed into the goal....won 1-0.

We got back for Sunday game, this was the one the U'14's had to win to go top of league and hopefully win the league....they blew it big time getting beat 6-0. Need to concentrate now on keeping 2nd place to still go up to the B league.

No news about the job he has applied for yet, got something similar through from Celtic!

Sounds like Andy's in demand - good stuff!

St Austell should be marching up the table, but it's like wading through treacle at the moment. We had another 2-0 defeat at Liskeard on Saturday. We should have been at home to struggling Ivybridge this evening, but I've just got back from Cornwall's first 'Cloud Stadium'. I'm sure the match could have gone ahead with half a dozen industrial wind machines to disperse the fog! Half an hour before kick-off things were fien, but suddenly I couldn't see my hand in front of my face! Our fixture backlog is starting to look very interesting! :icon_eek:

Lol at Mr Roland and Mr Sedge.....early days boys....he hasn't heard anything back yet...I was actually surprised he sent his CV to Celtic him being a St Johnstone fan....lol.

Mixture of footie stuff this weekend. We had to be away again (final push of house clearing at dads). Andy and the 'dale were beat 1-0 on Saturday, poor game apparently. Sunday results better though Culter Colts U'14's comfortable 5-0 victory and Andy doing his first aid stint for a guy in the opposition team! Ran on with his first aid bag while the other team coaches didn't do anything. Think the guy pulled something and he fortunately had an ice pack thingy in his bag.

Heart feels for all the sadness surrounding the Kilmarnock team though after the tragic events at the Cup final yesterday v Celtic. Also to the Bolton player Muamba.....may he make a good recovery.

How goes Austell Sedge.