Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Bettyboop33

Yes indeed hen!, I haven't taken mines from the shelf because I did not want to jinx it and then the date of release was changed :D

I was canny and waited until I'd checked my email for the official "it's been dispatched" notification, it was there so I'm safe :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't wait to read Shiver so I ignored the list I did on which books to read when and im about 3/4 of the way through it. So far I love it and I have just ordered Linger <3 Can't wait for it to get here. :)

I read it at the beginning of the year and like I said previously I liked it, a really easy read, and good for a vacating mojo. I have Linger on my wishlist and I will most certainly either get it for Xmas or from my library.

I finished Linger on Thursday and without giving anything away, I think I loved it more than Shiver :)

I only saw this comment Fi, and I like the sound of that!!!!

I really like shiver but could see some things that I would personally like in the furure, so this makes me want to get Linger even more.

I only saw this comment Fi, and I like the sound of that!!!!

I really like shiver but could see some things that I would personally like in the furure, so this makes me want to get Linger even more.

Now I've had time to think about it more I definitely liked Linger more but there was the odd thing that irritated me and I really didn't like the new main character who was introduced :( Can't say any more without spoilers though and not going to until other folks have read it!

Ooo, I found there were a couple characters that I didn't like in the first so I hope that won't put me off.

Gah! Maybe I should get it sooner rather than later!

Yes! Get it sooner rather than later, I'm going nuts having no-one to talk to about it :wacko::jump:

Michelle, your wish is my command; here's the review I wrote on my own book thread a few months ago ...

Synopsis (from blurb on waterstones.com):

Grace is fascinated by the wolves in the woods behind her house; one yellow-eyed wolf in particular. Every winter, she watches him but every summer, he disappears. Sam leads two lives. In winter, he stays in the frozen woods, with the protection of the pack. In summer, he has a few precious months to be human ...until the cold makes him shift back again. When Grace and Sam finally meet, they realize they can't bear to be apart. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human - or risk losing himself, and Grace, for ever.

Review:

A return to YA fantasy with a werewolf book this time. I've been drawn to this book for a long time, as the cover has been jumping out at me from the display tables in Waterstone's for quite a while now, but finally decided to get it as part of a 3 for 2 offer.

I'm so glad I did. I absolutely loved it. Each of the chapters is written from the point of view of one of the two principle characters, so you see the story from each of their perspectives. The connection and the developing relationship between them felt very real and believable, and the sense of growing desperation builds as the story progresses.

I thought the descriptions were very good, and I had a very strong picture in my head of the landscape, the buildings and even the trucks and cars.

The only complaint I have is that the ending felt a little bit rushed, and I'm not sure I was 100% convinced by it, but I enjoyed the rest of the story so much that it didn't spoil the book for me at all. In fact, I enjoyed it so much, it's one of the few books from this genre I'll be keeping to read again.

• 2 weeks later...

I just recently finished this book! I thought it was ok, I'm reading Linger right now. I too, am a twilight fan. At first I was feeling a bit wow what a spin off.. but as I got further into it I saw that it had its own story.. its def. a different, interesting story of the wolf side of things. Its not something I can't put down probably because I never really connected with one of the characters. I am not a fan of switching point of views also.. but it had some twists that I didn't see coming that got me to keep reading.. and then move on to the next one.

Edited by MountainGirl

• 1 month later...

I listened to the German audio-book of Shiver last month and really enjoyed it. I enjoyed it so much I decided I can't wait for Linger coming out in Germany next summer or fall. So at the moment I am waiting for the English audio-book of Linger :D

And I am so glad I had the opportunity to meet Maggie during her European book tour. She is such a nice and funny person!

Edited by Julia

Read Both of the books and totally loved them Both, is it wierd to say theyre almost beautiful, Yeah I think it is. :blush:

I agree too Betty, there is something beautiful about the books, the characters are excellent but I love the description of the woods :)

• 8 months later...

Maggie Stiefvater > Shiver

51%2BVXbxbFqL._AA115_.jpg

synopsis from amazon

For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf--her wolf--is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human . . . until the cold makes him shift back again.

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.

my thoughts

What a great read this was! I totally loved it! A wonderful mood is set free by the writing style and even though I read the book in hot weather, I could lose myself in this winterly scenerie. I'm glad I already baught the second book in the series and pre-ordered the third book right after I finished the first.

Rating: 5/5

Series: The wolves of Mercy Falls 1

My copy of 'Forever' (the final book in the Trilogy) arrived today, I love this series :) I am re~reading 'Shiver' and then 'Linger' :)

• 2 weeks later...