Something I've Learned Today

ned

I learned that during the time of Alfred the Great (870s), there was a part of England that was known as the 5 boroughs, it was controled by the Danes. I live in NYC and we have 5 boroughs. Now was that intentional? Did they break it up into 5 boroughs to follow what was done so many years ago, or was it just a coincidence? Sometimes there are more questions!! :D

I don't know wether i have learned something here or been set a homework assignment :blush:

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And New York used to be part of the country called New Netherlands, busy91, go figure! :D

It's only 8:22am here so the only new things I've learned today so far are from reading this thread! Thanks guys :blush:.

I learned that during the time of Alfred the Great (870s), there was a part of England that was known as the 5 boroughs, it was controled by the Danes. I live in NYC and we have 5 boroughs. Now was that intentional? Did they break it up into 5 boroughs to follow what was done so many years ago, or was it just a coincidence? Sometimes there are more questions!! :)

That's really interesting!

It's only 8:22am here so the only new things I've learned today so far are from reading this thread! Thanks guys :).

It's ten past three where I am and I've been to work and still the only new things I have learnt today are from this thread!!!

... it is!! I remember seeing a racoon in a zoo once when I was little, somebody had thrown the little fella a cracker and sure enough, he was cleaning it :)!!

Did it dissolve? And if so did he look at you like 'What the hell just happened?'

While searching for directions on google i discovered that there is a second hand bookshop just off a main street that i walk down at least 3 times a week. Apparently it's been there for 15 years! Shame on me. I plan to go there this weekend

While searching for directions on google i discovered that there is a second hand bookshop just off a main street that i walk down at least 3 times a week. Apparently it's been there for 15 years! Shame on me. I plan to go there this weekend

That's a really nice little find :D Hope you find some good deals!

This morning I learned that Poppy's Avatar is by an artist called Hundertwasser, so I looked him up and I love his style. Searching e-bay for a book about him....

I like when things like that happen

That's a really nice little find :D Hope you find some good deals!

Thanks. Can't believe i never knew about it before though, you would have thought someone would have told me. Peoplemust know about it otherwise it wouldn't still be in business after all this time :D

Today I learned that our 4th president, James Madison, was only 5 foot 4 inches tall and weighed less than 100 lbs. No idea how this will come in handy later in life, but I thought it was interesting... :D

Not someone you'd picture as a leader

Not someone you'd picture as a leader

The thought of him kind of reminds me of that little person in the movie elf. I think his character's name was Miles or something... He was little but he could kick some serious a**.

Love that film :D

"If you're santa what song did i sing to you on your birthday?"

"happy birthday"

"damn!"

:lol:It is a great movie!

"Buddy the elf, what's your favorite color?"

I should start answering my phone like that!