Dan's lists 2010

DanC_84

Finally finished 'The Secret History' last night. It took me forever as I have been going through some personal stuff and my reading has taken a hit.

Great book. Really enjoyed it. That woman can really tell a story.

I think I am going to read 'The Count of Monte Cristo' next. I bought it the other day after seeing the movie again.

• 6 months later...

Just finished 'Angel's Game' by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

I loved his writing style, but the book just fell apart for me towards the end. There was just way too much I couldn't get my head around/understand and also too many things left totally unanswered for me. My brother read it and he had similar feelings. He is a great author but I think Zafon let this one get a little out of control, particularly in the last 30/40 pages. I still gave it 7/10 though as I enjoyed it for the majority. I love his descriptive style.

I am going to read 'The House at Riverton' (titled 'A Shifting Fog' out here) next.

• 1 month later...

Finally finished 'The House at Riverton' by Kate Morton (titled 'The Shifting Fog' out here). It was enjoyable, perhaps not quite as much as the other Morton novel I have read, but I wish I could have had more time available so I could have read it over a shorter period of time. Still, a very good book. Kate's character development was excellent I thought, as it was in 'The Forgotten Garden'. Its an era I really enjoy reading about and I thought she described it very well.

Next up I'm going to read another Haruki Marukami book - 'Kafka on the Shore'.

I really liked "The House at Riverton". What you are saying, then, is I should read "The Forgotten Garden" - well I have all this space in my brand new bookshelf, I'm sure that book too would like to live there!

If you liked 'The House at Riverton' I see no way that you would not enjoy 'The Forgotten Garden'. They are both very good, and quite similar, but if I had to choose I would probably go with the latter as my preferred. Kate is just a great author.

I see you're currently reading Kafka on the Shore. That's one of my fave books this year (and ever, probably :D ), I hope you'll enjoy it!

And though I haven't read these 2 books you're planning on reading (The Great Gatsby and One-Hit Wonder), I enjoyed other books by F. Scott Fitzgerald and Lisa Jewell (her's was a pleasant surprise), so I think you're gonna have fun with those too.

Happy reading!

Edited by Brida

I see you're currently reading Kafka on the Shore. That's one of my fave books this year (and ever, probably :D ), I hope you'll enjoy it!

And though I haven't read these 2 books you're planning on reading (The Great Gatsby and One-Hit Wonder), I enjoyed other books by F. Scott Fitzgerald and Lisa Jewell (her's was a pleasant surprise), so I think you're gonna have fun with those too.

Happy reading!

Cheers, I've read a few of Marukami's other books and really enjoyed them so I'm sure I will love Kafka. Lisa Jewell's books are cool as well. Just good, easy reads.